Wind got my Master Touch!

Stephen Scaggs

TVWBB Member
I woke up this morning to the sound of rain. I got up to make my coffee and looked out to the back porch to see how bad it was raining. I noticed that my Master Touch was blown over with the cover and all. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and used it just once. It came away with a nice chip right on top. I immediately thought of all the great weber customer service stories that I've heard of on the forums. I called and spoke with them, but the best I could get was a reduced price on a new lid. Not super happy with the deal, but I just paid for a new grill, and I couldn't deal with a big ding in my brand new grill. Weber customer service seems very arbitrary to me, since I've heard of people registering used grills and getting new parts, but I told them the truth about how it happened. Oh well, it will be like new soon.

Well, I believe your honesty will be rewarded in the long run. I could quote a Bible passage, but John Cougar Mellencamp said it well in his lesser known song "Minutes to Memories" where an old man on a Greyhound bus trip tells him a lot of good stuff about life and eventually falls asleep with his head against the window. Mellencamp says then, "An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind."

Bummer about the lid. In a world full of people who will say anything to get something they aren't entitled to, I applaud your honesty. I often just shake my head reading what some people think should be covered by the manufacturer. I also believe your honesty will come back to you. Happy grilling!

I thought I would just tell them what happened. I was hoping for the best, but it turns out that the best was a deal on the price. I waited 20 years between new kettles and I just want to have a nice one. I'm happy with the way it turned out, and I appreciate the support guys!

Also, somehow before I checked your info I knew you had to be in Texas. It was blowing like crazy today!

I feel ya. My first blue performer I dropped my lid and put a nice large chip in it. I finally did some sanding, used high heat JB weld putty, sanded, and used some blue high heat paint and it looked OK. Not perfect but good enough not to bother me too much.

It is frustrating when stuff like that happens. I remember when I first got my OTG. I think it was within the first few times of use, I didn't get the lid hooked completely and the lid fell to the ground. It made a small chip on the very edge.
Black is a much more forgiving color.

It looks like the kiwis coming in here some today, 30 mph sustained, with gusts to 50 predicted for today. I need to go lash down the only loose one out there (it’s the $10 garage sale find)

How does spellcheck turn winds to kiwis?
I’m feeling like I really need to fire up a grill but, it’s really wet and windy! I have to take my wife’s 94 year old ex Mother-in-law and her dog to the vet this afternoon, I might stop and see if something looks like a good quick grill on the way home from that trip.
Wind has just started up, kettle lashed to the deck. The rest is pretty secure

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story when I was a kid. My parents got a brand linoleum floor installed in the kitchen and us kids got a big speech about dropping things and damaging the new floor. Probably an hour after the speech and the installers had left I was drying scissors and spinning them on a finger. The scissors came apart and I watched in what seem like slow motion as one half went up and them straight down to stab in to the brand new floor. For 18 years whenever I went into the kitchen the first thing I saw was the 1/2 cut in the floor.

Years ago I had the seat cushions on my boat re done, took my son, about 6 years old, fishing the next day. I was teaching to rig poles and use a pocket knife, told him to always put the knife some place safe when he wasn't using it. His idea of safe was to bury the blade in the seat cushion.

Sorry about your grill accident!! It's always a downer when you have something new that gets damaged through no fault of your own. I actually love the battle scars on my red Mastertouch, but then again, they were there when I got it, so....

Love that color, btw.

R

Years ago I had the seat cushions on my boat re done, took my son, about 6 years old, fishing the next day. I was teaching to rig poles and use a pocket knife, told him to always put the knife some place safe when he wasn't using it. His idea of safe was to bury the blade in the seat cushion.
😂🤣

Back