Will this stuff fit?

Douglas B

Hey Smokers! So I need some assistance. I've owned my WSMs for about a year and would consider myself a novice but definitely know my way around the smokers. I think I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew with a party I'm throwing tomorrow. Here's what I got...

1- 22" WSM
1- 18" WSM
1- 22" Kettle

60- Chicken Drumsticks (medium sized from Costco)
12- racks of Baby Backs

I have a 3rd cooking rack for the 18" so I may be able to rig something. Any ideas for fitting all of this meat? I was thinking about doing the 3 cooking racks in the 18" with 20 legs per rack. Will that fit? As you can see I'm a bit lost here. I think the ribs will fit on my 22" WSM with 2 rib racks.

Thanks for your help.
Douglas B

I would try and do the ribs on all three racks in the 18" coiling each rack. Then maybe try to 30 drumsticks on each rack of the 22" WSM low and slow and then finish them on the 22" Kettle. That's assuming you can fit 30 drumsticks on a 22" rack of course. If that works you may even be able to just take the rack directly off the WSM and put in on the kettle. I have no idea if this would work, but that was the first thing that popped in my head. Good luck and be sure to keep us updated!!

I think this is doable. I've put 7 racks of St Louis cut spares on the top grate of a 22.5" WSM using a rib rack so using both grates you should be able to do the ribs on it. Then the question becomes will 20 drummers fit on each 18" grate. ...or at least enough that your overflow will fit on the kettle.

Here's some info: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

Last edited:
With rib racks, I've done 9 rack of baby backs on my 18". Seems like three racks any way you want on the 22 will still give you lots of room for the chicken. Other options have been described above, but it certainly seems doable. Good luck with your cook.

I have all of the same cookers that you do. And if it were me, I'd put all 12 racks on the 22.5"wsm and try to get all the legs on the 18.5"wsm. any over flow the 22" kettle could take.

IMO leftover ribs taste better than just off the smoker. I would cook the ribs early then you would have plenty of room for the chicken and when the guests arrive reheat the ribs.

IMO leftover ribs taste better than just off the smoker. I would cook the ribs early then you would have plenty of room for the chicken and when the guests arrive reheat the ribs.

That's a good idea. Heating up ribs is much more predictable and will take a lot of pressure off on the day of the event. I concur, that heated up ribs are just as good at right off the smoker.

I think I'd cook the ribs first. Wrap them and put in a cooler to rest. I'd then cook the drum sticks and serve fresh off the grill/smoker.

I would agree with cooking the ribs first and holding them and serving the drummers right off the cooker.

Back