Will it fit: Genesis E-330 in a 2012 Subaru Outback?

Davis

I'm looking at a Genesis E-330 on Craigslist and wondering if it will fit (without major disassembly) in the back of my 2012 Outback. Any and all advice welcome, thanks!

I think it will fit with the seats folded down. Bring couple of yard sized garbage bags, a box for the grates and flav bars, and a blanket or two to wrap the lid and stuff. a couple of garage towels is also good.

A tarp for the back to catch the crunchies that will fall out.

Tools you will need
leather gloves
small flat blade screwdriver
7/16 wrench. ratcheting box or small socket works well.
pliers or vice grips.
( might be needed )
small hammer and punch.
ziplock to store the bolts

1) pull the cotter pins and remove the pins from the lid. Put these in the zip lock so you don't lose them.
remove the lid, set aside on something soft. It may end up in the front seat wrapped in a blanket depending on space

2) remove the doors. Flat blade screw driver will pull the upper hinge pins down. Set these aside on something soft.

3) remove grates, flav bars and under burner heat deflectors and put all these in the box in a garbage bag. Open the side burner and remove the trivet and the round burner thing. Remove the slide out drip pan and grease pan inside and put that in the box.

4) Remove the side tables. two 7/16 bolts. Burner has a quick connect. Once the bolts are out just tap the tables up with your hand.

AT that point it ** should fit ** . Be careful of the hinge ears on the back of the cook box as they want to dig into the carpet. A couple of towels or some cardboard helps to slide it in.

Wrap the doors in towels and they'll fit inside where the propane tank would go

There should be room for the box of grates tilted up on its side up against the bottom floor or the grill.

Wrap the side tables in towels and find a spot for them.

Wrap up the lid in blankets and let it ride shotgun in the passenger seat.

Last edited:
I think it will fit with the seats folded down. Bring couple of yard sized garbage bags, a box for the grates and flav bars, and a blanket or two to wrap the lid and stuff. a couple of garage towels is also good.

Tools you will need
leather gloves
pliers or vice grips.
( might be needed )
small hammer and punch.

1) pull the cotter pins and remove the pins from the lid. Put these in the zip lock so you don't lose them.
remove the lid, set aside on something soft. It may end up in the front seat wrapped in a blanket depending on space

2) remove the doors. Flat blade screw driver will pull the upper hinge pins down. Set these aside on something soft.

3) remove grates, flav bars and under burner heat deflectors and put all these in the box in a garbage bag. Open the side burner and remove the trivet and the round burner thing. Remove the slide out drip pan and grease pan inside and put that in the box.

4) Remove the side tables. two 7/16 bolts. Burner has a quick connect. Once the bolts are out just tap the tables up with your hand.

AT that point it ** should fit ** . Be careful of the hinge ears on the back of the cook box as they want to dig into the carpet. A couple of towels or some cardboard helps to slide it in.

There should be room for the box of grates tilted up on its side up against the bottom floor or the grill.

ah...step one...Remove the propane tank ;)

LOL

Tools you will need
leather gloves
pliers or vice grips.
( might be needed )
small hammer and punch.

DANG! This is pretty specific - for the grill AND the vehicle. :oops: Guessing this ain't your first rodeo. LOL

I hope Davis gets some good use out of all this info. :D

I'm looking at a Genesis E-330 on Craigslist and wondering if it will fit (without major disassembly) in the back of my 2012 Outback. Any and all advice welcome, thanks!
My advice is take a lot of photos during the disassembly, packing and set up once home.

Some day you’ll be glad you have those photos, and in the mean time you can share them with us.

I for one am really interested in how it goes.

And…welcome to the forum.

Have you ever seen that photo of the car driving down the city street with a passenger sitting in the trunk holding a cabinet style behind it rolling down the road.
In college I moved a couch like this, half supported in the back of a Honda Civic and me walking behind and holding the other half. Took my arms weeks to recover. Never again ...

Thanks all for the replies, and especially to DanHoo for the detailed advice. I'm going for the pick-up tonight and will report back. I'll bring the recommended tools and we'll see how far I have to go with the disassembly to squeeze it in!

Hey, I took most of a Summit home in a little Saturn SL2 back when I was trying to find parts for the one I had. It did not have a cart. Since it was a built in model. Amazing sometimes what you can cram in :D

I would like to have seen that haul!
Here you go:

1669259068505.png

Disassembled my Genesis 310's caster wheels, shelves and hood and removed all unconnected parts to fit into the back of my simple 5-door, with the rear seats tilted down. I bet you had no problem with your Subaru.

I’m always amazed at what John G (Boston) gets into his Prius 🚛
Ha Ha... Yup, a long frame Genesis (Silver C, 2000, 3000, 2) will fit in the Prius (it's a second gen Prius, one of the older hatchback type). I do a little dismantling (remove lid and cookbox) and they go right in - can even close the hatch. I got a 2005 Silver B with a full cabinet in there but it wasn't easy - that was awkward and heavy.

I bought a clawfoot bathtub from a guy and brought it home in the Prius. He thought I was nuts - NO WAY that's gonna fit in there. I put a piece of carpet over the bumper (to protect the car and the tub), turned the tub upside down and put one end up on the carpet, picked up the other end and slid it right in - closed the hatch.

Reporting back! Thanks again to DanHoo for the step-by-step. As recommended I first pulled the grates, flavor bars, etc. to avoid things rattling around in transit. I removed the lid and one side table (the one without the side burner) and was able to squeeze the E-330 into my Outback. I could have left the lid on but took it off to minimize upholstery damage. All set up on the other side and just waiting on a chance to refill propane and get cooking!

I fit a Genesis II E-325 and two dogs and other assorted items in the back of my Lexus RX 350 with one side of the seatbacks folded down. Yes I removed the lid and internals. Have to think you can fit the entire grill in the back of an Outback with both seats folded down.

Reporting back! Thanks again to DanHoo for the step-by-step. As recommended I first pulled the grates, flavor bars, etc. to avoid things rattling around in transit. I removed the lid and one side table (the one without the side burner) and was able to squeeze the E-330 into my Outback. I could have left the lid on but took it off to minimize upholstery damage. All set up on the other side and just waiting on a chance to refill propane and get cooking!
Pics?

Back