Will alcohol boil off during a cook?

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I’m going to do a Dutch oven corned beef. I want to use Guinness beer, but I have a kidney disease and I’m not supposed to have alcohol. Will the alcohol boil off during the cook? FWIW, alcohol will not drastically impact me, but the drs recommended I don’t drink.

Last edited:
If you're covering the DO immediately after adding the beer, then, no, expect the alcohol to remain in the food. If you have a long braise uncovered, then you'll evaporate off most of the alcohol, from what I've read over the last several years, a little bit will remain.

You might want to try the relatively new Guiness 0. Claims to be no alcohol, but the same flavors.

Half an hour uncovered from the first simmer will cook off 99% of the alcohol no matter what. The trace amount of alcohol left will be less than a teaspoon of mouthwash. Don’t sweat it Jerry.
The boiling point of alcohol is 173.6 degrees, so I have my doubts as to there being any left even with the lid fully on for the bulk of the cook. If you take it off at the end, let the liquid reduce for half an hour, there isn’t going to be enough alcohol left to get a moth stewed. Your kidneys should be just fine.

Back