Wildlife Problems?

M Halle

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone. I am brand new to smoking...heck I won't even get my first wsm for another week and a half. (Christmas gift the wife won't let me have early) Anyway way my question is as follows...
I live out in the country away from the city folk. I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with wildlife while doing an overnight cook? I figured that with the smell of meat cooking and it being unattended, we might end up with come critters or bigger. Heck...if I leave my trash out or don't close the lid tight enough...I will sometimes end up with a mess in the morning. So just wanted to know if anyone has ever had anything happen...and if you did...what did you do to prevent it the next time? :confused:

unless that first nudge w/the nose knocks it over, I believe the dose of heat to the sniffer will discourage any further interest.

My first yr when I stored the WSM outside, a few raccoons knocked it over, after that I kept it in my garage.
On a few overnighters I put the WSM in an old dog run (6x8) which had a gate on it. I don't think it was necessary to do but since I had it I used it.

Tim

I live in south central Mo and have done several overnight cooks with no problems from critters. As Bill said the heat from the WSM will keep coons, possums, coyotes and ferel dogs/cats away. I would remove any meat grease from the cooker when things cool off. Also putting the cover on will help to keep critters from smelling scents. My WSM and 26 OTG set on my open at both ends carport all the time with no problems.

Last edited:
No Chris I was talking more like what Scotty was talking about. I live in eastern Mo. Thanks everyone for your responses. That was something I was just wondering about. I have been checking out this website and already joined the "fans of the weber smokey mountain smoker" facebook group...and I don't even have mine yet. Im ready to get cooking!

Back