Cooking in bear country

Chris S Lewis

TVWBB Fan
Okay I'm not talking about Chicago here.

Seriously I did a search on this and didn't find much, here's my problem.

I need to do a pork butt cook at a camp that's in black bear country. Am I crazy? I'm doing 4 butts and have A LOT of people looking forward to it. Do I need to post an overnight guard? Is it really not a big deal? I've heard some say that bears are scared off by the heat and smoke. But that smoke sure smells good!

I may have more questions as the event gets closer for tips on smoking in a remote location. I've never cooked further than 100 feet from my kitchen.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

PS, yes there is bear country in NJ.

We're right in black bear country and have never had a problem on any cooks, overnight included. Having said that we have spoke about it often and are worried about it. Like I say no problem in three years though.

Clark

About 8 or 9 years ago my lovely daughter and my SIL borrowed my new pick up truck so they could go camping in the Adirondack Mountains. Upon arrival at the state park they were cautioned by a park ranger Not to leave any food laying around, because of the black bears. Well, they mostly heeded the rangers advice, but they had packaged food in the bed of the truck covered with a tarp. Durning the first night that they were there my SIL heard noise outside of the tent, and he looked out and saw a black bear in the back of my truck ripping the packaged food open. The SIL hit the panic button on the remote, which caused the bear to urinate and deficate in the bed of the truck. He then slid over the side, and their fur must be so thick and tough it took the shine out of the paint. Nothing short of repainting the side brought the shine back. In addition, the urine and other smells stayed with the truck for a very long time.

I would really think twice about using your WSM in bear country.

Hey, Stand watch with a gun
icon_eek.gif
oops just saw you live in NJ, nasty gun laws there. I think you should be fine.

cheers,
ps I lived in NJ for 35 plus years
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Rosenberger:

cheers,
ps I lived in NJ for 35 plus years
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear that.
icon_biggrin.gif

This, coming from a native Bronxite. I just moved to CT a couple of years ago after I finished college.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry to hear that. Big Grin

This, coming from a native Bronxite. I just moved to CT a couple of years ago after I finished college. WSM Smile </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mom was a S Bronxite, I was born in Jamaica no not the island with nice blue water
icon_smile.gif

I know that Bears are a whole nother problem, but:

You don't have to be in the "back woods" to experience cooking vs. wildlife problems:

A while back, I was walking our dogs in our neighborhood (we're in the city - Western suburb of Milwaukee). A lady we saw was in a panic, because a large racoon was getting agressive towards her whenever she got close to the chicken that was cooking on her Weber kettle.

Around here, they're pretty used to people, and are not easily scared-off.

Maybe if you have a dog or two tied-out in your area, and also have a few options around to make noise. Or, change your timing - If you're cooking for dinner, use a few smaller butts / half-shoulders, and get an early start. That way, you avoid the "bears in the dark" situation.

Noise and light will keep bears at bay. It also depends on other food sources, if rain was plentiful and natural food sources are plentiful, they will not bother "man" food.

Used to work at a boy scout camp in Colorado that would have issues with bears during dry years, so have a little experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Rosenberger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry to hear that. Big Grin

This, coming from a native Bronxite. I just moved to CT a couple of years ago after I finished college. WSM Smile </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mom was a S Bronxite, I was born in Jamaica no not the island with nice blue water
icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? That's awesome! I grew up in the South Bronx (149th and Jackson Ave)...then moved to Castle Hill.

And no, I wouldn't fire-up the WSM in bear country!!!

Invite the bears, but tell them they must bring beer for everyone....seems to keep some from showing up at BBQ's!!!
icon_eek.gif

Thanks!

Some great info so far. I really like Ron G's idea. I might just drag my butt out of bed at 0 dark 30 and start the cook at say 05:00. No worries about bears if I'm cooking during the day as there will be a 200 member high school marching band practicing all day! That should keep the bears at bay.

Any other thoughts?

As Brad pointed out, much depends on how desperate the local bears are. If they are used to mooching food from human sources then you have a very real potential for a problem here. Unlikely, perhaps, but possible.

If the area is well lit and someone stood guard then you would be OK. Nearly all black bears are easily scared off. That doesn't sound like a fun night for the guard, though.

You also want to consider that animals might be even more attracted to the cooker after the food has been removed. Drippings from a load of pork butt would be as desirable to a bear as anything you can imagine.

Carl, wildlife biologist (when not tending my WSM)

it also depends on if you are in an area that is frequented by campers. lots of humans in and out of the same area and it means easy food for a bear. bears are wild animals they will always go for the easiest food source and will frequent areas that have constant human activity lookign for an easy meal. bears will not always be scared off by loud sounds. this time of the year bears are hungry and hunger is a good motivator for ignoring a loud human or if agitated enough adding said loud human to the menu. feamle bears are running about with cubs and a momma with a cub is not going to be scared off by any means. more people are killed and injured by black bears than by grizzlies. honestly the last thing i would do is get in between a hungry bear and food and start making a nuisance of myself without a large bore rifle.

i would suggest that if bears are a real concern then cook the food at home and re-heat it on sight. carting your cooker into the woods is going to be a hassle and you run a real risk of a bear taking your cooker into the woods after your done for a some private bear time while he searches it for the food smells.

re-heated bbq is every bit as good as off the pit.

Chris Ol' Buddy - A thought just occured to me while reading your query. "BEARS CAN'T COUNT" You said there would be a band practicing all day on the grounds and there would be about 200 participants practicing and that should keep the bears away. The only advantage with there being 200 other people is that you would be less of a target. There is safety in numbers. And of course in a wrestling match 200 of you should be able to whup one Ol' bear. lol. Have a good cook. Bob

Back