Wifi Network Issues: IP Address

JakeBrown

TVWBB Member
Problem:
I'm having intermittent issues connecting the Heatermeter to my wireless router.
I have no issues connecting via wired.

Symptoms:
Sometimes I get an IP address.
Sometimes I lose an IP address (not confirmed, but the first problem is preventing me to verify).
WiFi USB dongle flashes light, but no IP address.

Troubleshooting:
Other devices do not have problems with the router.
Distance ~3 meters.
WiFi adapter blinks blue periodically.
Turning on/off might pickup an IP address.
Still testing if a powered on heatermeter will eventually get an IP.
No other router AP to cause interference.

Hardware/Software/Config:
Heatermeter 4.2
Raspberry Pi Model B 756-8308
Edimax EW-7811Un
Power 12v@2.0 amp
openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4.img
Router/Heatermeter wireless channel set to "auto".
DHCP
Router is using "long preamble"

Log:
Not noticing anything, but that might be because I'm very novice.

I notice OpenWRT has interfaces for:
fallback
LAN
WWLAN

Not sure if these interfaces compete with each other for an IP?
What is the probability the problem is with DHCP?
What is the probability the problem is with the WiFi adapter?
I'm tempted to purchase another WiFi adapter. What is better quality than the Edwin?

At a distance of 3 meters, I noticed the WiFi reception is 65% (with the maximum transmit power). Maybe I need something with a better antenna? Maybe nano's aren't so good? Maybe the transmit power is too low? Maybe Raspberry Pi has problems?

RESOLVED: Purchased another Edimax to replace the adapter I had, and everything works as expected. Fast to acquire IP address and good signal strength.

Last edited:
After more testing, I'm confident in saying this Edimax EW-7811Un is junk.
I searched and read many comments expressing the low quality of these types of wifi devices.

Though I have abused a few Edimax adapters, dropped and cracked off the plastic end, and they still work. I have yet to kill one. I recall some issue with how they mate with the rPi USB connector, something about it bending pins or something like that? Maybe that was just the rPi A model, I can't recall all the details....

It was the A+, and I have had a few that did that and one that needs a new usb connector.

I too have had a broken plastic end on mine and it still works fine. Although, i never ha e any problems when it connects inside the house, but I do have some issues outside next to the house. I have order lots of them and not had a major issue of connecting to them.

Yah, not impossible that he got a bum unit, but in general the Edimax has been pretty reliable in the HM world...
Perhaps test it in a windows machine to verify if it works or not?

PS I have noticed my HM sometimes will show the IP when it is acquired, and sometimes not. It was frustrating at first, because I wanted to see the IP and know it is connected, but I've grown used to the idea that it may show the IP or may not but it works either way. This is particularly frustrating when you are setting things up though, and may not know what IP to hit etc. I always assign an static IP to my HM WiFi (in the HM, others do it with DHCP settings on their router) so I know what IP to hit....

RESOLVED: Purchased another Edimax to replace the adapter I had, and everything works as expected. Fast to acquire IP address and good signal strength.

Back