Wife Requested Beef Ribs For Her Birthday!

Howard V

TVWBB Member
My wife requested beef ribs for her birthday....didn't want to disappoint her. It was my first time cooking beef ribs at home. Hardest part was finding a place that sells plate ribs. After much looking, I was able to order them from Restaurant Depot. The only issue was they come in packs of 4 huge racks weighing 20lbs total. I smoked 2 racks and saved 2 for later this summer.

Overall, they turned out well. Tender with good smoke flavors. Total cook time was 6 hours. They were smoked for 4 hours and then foiled for 2 hours to get over the stall (I didnt want to make the birthday gal wait for dinner!). I would make some minor changes to the next cook:

1) I rubbed with Montreal Steak seasoning. I did it the night before and left in fridge so I can immediately start smoking next morning without any prep work needed since it's a long cook. The bark came out nice but it was a bit more salty than what we like. I am not sure if I was a bit heavy handed in my rub or leaving it overnight allowed the salt to seep into the meat too much like it was curing the meat overnight. I plan to do a lighter coat of seasoning on the same day and not leave overnight.

2) While the ribs were tender with good smoke flavors, I thought it wasn't as juicy as I expected. I had to change my cooking plan during the session. I was planning to cook unfoiled until internal temp hit 203 degrees. I panicked when I hit the stall with dinner time around the corner. I think I will start earlier in the morning and let it ride unfoiled. That's how Aaron Franklin did it in his video. It will probably take 8 to 10 hours instead of 6 hours.

Any advice on above? Thanks to Chris and everyone else that gave me insight for my first cook with beef ribs!

Attachments

• 20200613_172435.jpg
    20200613_172435.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200613_172542.jpg
    20200613_172542.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200613_172550.jpg
    20200613_172550.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200613_173714.jpg
    20200613_173714.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23
I also made a rookie mistake with single foil only. I saw liquids had dripped out from bottom of foil. I laid them meat side down when foiled. I think this is where I lost some juice. Maybe a double foil would have prevented lost of juiceness.

I think that for a first attempt they are looking good, but I think it is cool that you have another set of ribs to do later. I think you already have the changes you need to try next time. Implement those changes, see what the results yield and then keep modifying.

One of the only rib cooks I like to use foil is for beef ribs. I will typically run the pit around 265°-285° depends on where it settles in. I like a 3:2:1 ratio or a 3:1.5:1.5. Heavy duty foil doubled up for the braise session. For ribs I season right before putting them on the grill. I usually keep it simple and run with SPOG. When its time to foil you need to add a 1/4 cup of liquid (can be beer, water, juice, watered down bbq sauce, etc. Make sure to seal ribs up tight. When back on the pit if your going to sauce do so 30 minutes before the end.

The only time I go with higher temps is when I have done them as individual ribs. 325°-350° straight on the grill, no foil. More like cooking drumsticks.

One of the only ways I can get plate ribs is untrimmed like you did. I break them down into 3-4 rib sets and vac pack and freeze.

rib1.jpg

rib2.jpg

One of the only rib cooks I like to use foil is for beef ribs. I will typically run the pit around 265°-285° depends on where it settles in. I like a 3:2:1 ratio or a 3:1.5:1.5. Heavy duty foil doubled up for the braise session. For ribs I season right before putting them on the grill. I usually keep it simple and run with SPOG. When its time to foil you need to add a 1/4 cup of liquid (can be beer, water, juice, watered down bbq sauce, etc. Make sure to seal ribs up tight. When back on the pit if your going to sauce do so 30 minutes before the end.

The only time I go with higher temps is when I have done them as individual ribs. 325°-350° straight on the grill, no foil. More like cooking drumsticks.

One of the only ways I can get plate ribs is untrimmed like you did. I break them down into 3-4 rib sets and vac pack and freeze.

View attachment 7144

View attachment 7145

Man, your ribs look succulent......that's what I was aiming for....thank for the advice...I will incorporate in next cook

I will go for lower temps and put liquid in my double foil wrapping!

My wife requested beef ribs for her birthday....didn't want to disappoint her. It was my first time cooking beef ribs at home. Hardest part was finding a place that sells plate ribs. After much looking, I was able to order them from Restaurant Depot. The only issue was they come in packs of 4 huge racks weighing 20lbs total. I smoked 2 racks and saved 2 for later this summer.

Overall, they turned out well. Tender with good smoke flavors. Total cook time was 6 hours. They were smoked for 4 hours and then foiled for 2 hours to get over the stall (I didnt want to make the birthday gal wait for dinner!). I would make some minor changes to the next cook:

1) I rubbed with Montreal Steak seasoning. I did it the night before and left in fridge so I can immediately start smoking next morning without any prep work needed since it's a long cook. The bark came out nice but it was a bit more salty than what we like. I am not sure if I was a bit heavy handed in my rub or leaving it overnight allowed the salt to seep into the meat too much like it was curing the meat overnight. I plan to do a lighter coat of seasoning on the same day and not leave overnight.

2) While the ribs were tender with good smoke flavors, I thought it wasn't as juicy as I expected. I had to change my cooking plan during the session. I was planning to cook unfoiled until internal temp hit 203 degrees. I panicked when I hit the stall with dinner time around the corner. I think I will start earlier in the morning and let it ride unfoiled. That's how Aaron Franklin did it in his video. It will probably take 8 to 10 hours instead of 6 hours.

Any advice on above? Thanks to Chris and everyone else that gave me insight for my first cook with beef ribs!

I have a plate of ribs sitting in my freezer and my butcher just got back from holidays. I think I am going to treat myself to some short ribs on Father's Day. I know of the panic when dinner is closing in a the stall is happening. Lucky for me I slept through the start of the stall on my last cook.

Back