Wicker's Pilgrimage

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
Being newly introduced to Wicker's Marinade and Baste, I was pleased to discover that Hornersville MO was only a little over half an hour out of my way on a business trip I had to take this week to Dalton, GA. While I can (luckily) find original Wicker's at my hometown supermarkets, they don't carry the broader line of Wicker's sauces, as listed on their web site. I decided to take a side trip to Hornersville, see where this sauce comes from, and get some of their other offerings.

For those not familiar with Missouri geography, Hornersville is in the bootheel...that funny little bit of Missouri that sticks down on the Southeast corner looking like a couple counties stolen from Arkansas. That is crop land country. Miles and miles and miles of soybeans, cotton and rice. Hornersville looks like it might have once been a fairly thriving community, but these days, farms aren't farmed by farmers, they're farmed by corporations. That means Hornersville and towns like it all over the country are drying up. A former resident of Hornersville (now practicing dentistry in California) owns Wicker's and trusts its operation to a staff of 3. One fella mixes and bottles it, one young lady answers the phones and enters the orders and manager Korey Speaight does everything else. I was expecting a small operation, but not quite this small. Small though they are, they could not have been nicer to a stranger. I got a tour of the place, including the 5,500 gallon vinegar tank that gets filled by tanker truck and the various old downtown storefronts that now warehouse bottles waiting to be filled and bottles already filled.

I bought a half gallon of Original, a bottle of their finishing sauce "Wicker's Thicker" and a bottle of "Black Label", which is their special blend for beef. Then I added a regular bottle of Original as a gift for the customer I was calling on in Dalton. Total expenditure, about 15 bucks. I was out the door and almost back to my car when I stopped to take a picture of the Main street storefront that is their office. That's when Corey came out and offered the tour. After he had shown me around, he told me about the dry rub they're coming out with and gave me a big bag of it to try.

I love little companies like this. In my opinion we need a lot more of them, and we all need to support the ones we have with our business. That's really easy when the product is really, really good.

That's Corey, in front of the office.

wickers.jpg

I grew up in that part of the country. The few times I've been back the poverty is overwhelming, which I was ignorant of as a kid. I wish the ownership of this little company was in the hands of those running it day to day. As most "better off" people there still live hand to mouth.

I very much enjoyed your commentary and photo Jeff, thanks for sharing.
Owned by a dentist in CA eh?

Yep, flat as a flitter down there, much of it was swampland at one time.
Nearly any hump or bump will have signs of American Indian occupation.
Years ago my brother and I walked many miles in search of arrowheads in that part of the state.

I am anxiously awaiting, with bbq breath, your Wicker's rub report. :)

Big bags of salt and medium sized bags of pre-mixed spice blend....just like the label says...vinegar, salt, spices. :cool:
Reminds me of a comic strip I saw years ago about a pork and bean factory.
There was a gigantic factory building, huge bags of beans being unloaded, smoke pouring out of chimneys, while outside was a single hog pen, with one hog inside.

Trying to give them a fair trial, Bob. My first impression of Wicker's Thicker is not all that wonderful....but I just used it to sauce up some pulled chicken. Holding off judgement just now.

The black label jazzed up some burgers nicely. Want to give it a shot on some steaks.

Work has be travelling every weekend (as it always does this time of year), so be patient with me...I won't forget. I was in your neck of the woods this weekend. Stayed at the Hampton in Maryland Heights and had a couple of nice dinners at a sports bar called Syberg's. Watching the Cardinals win Friday while in a St. Louis sports bar was a very unique and fulfilling experience. My hotel room had a unique perspective into Syberg's back yard. When they say "house smoked pulled pork"...they mean it. The smoker was right outside my window.

Thanks for the update Jeff.
We have a Syberg's down our way now too, ate there for the first time a couple of weeks ago, enjoyed the food and atmosphere.

Our Cards need to get it going, like by tomorrow.

Remember the days when beating the Cubs was like thumping your little brother...no doubt of the outcome?

Not so much this year.

Fingers and toes crossed, rabbit's foot in pocket, along with several buckeyes and a couple horseshoes. :(

Remember the days when beating the Cubs was like thumping your little brother...no doubt of the outcome?

Not so much this year.

Fingers and toes crossed, rabbit's foot in pocket, along with several buckeyes and a couple horseshoes. :(
lol, that should do it!

If the Cards are going to eventually lose the series, then let it be today so the Cubs fans can relish it at home.

Curious if many/any White Sox fans have gotten on the Cubs bandwagon, you know, as a city pride thing.

Back