Wicker's Chicken

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
Earlier this summer I was sure I had found the be all and end all chicken recipe. That would be Roadside Chicken. In two cooks, on two different grills it has blown away every other "barbecue" chicken I've made in the last 20 or 30 years. Then up floats a 6 year old thread about the elusive Wicker's marinade, made in the Missouri bootheel, 4 or so hours from my house (I'm in the Southwest corner of MO, they're in the far SE corner). Up pops the Consigliere of TVWBB telling me that if i like RSC, I'll like Wicker's. Oh...thanks, Bob...just when I thought I didn't have to try any other chicken recipes any more, now I do.

So, yesterday I found that unlike most of you, I have no trouble obtaining Wicker's. It's in every supermarket in town. Funny how I have walked by that bottle for the lion's share of 58 years and never knew what I was missing. I brought home a bottle and a nice small fryer.

wickers1.jpg

This morning I cracked open the bottle and nearly swooned at the aroma. I cut up the chicken and bagged it up with enough Wicker's to cover. The wife doesn't like chicken skin or dark meat. So, I skinned the breasts for her and left the rest the way I like it.

wickers2.jpg

wickers3.jpg

To make sure you guys don't kick me out of the club, I drug out the kettle for this adventure. I built a fire with a chimney full of lit lump and about the same amount under it. I shoved it all to one side of the kettle and put the chicken over the other side, basting every 10 or 15 minutes.

wickers4.jpg

When it was nearly done, I threw each piece directly over the coals for a few minutes to mark up, then back over to the cooler side. Here they are just before I took them off.

wickers5.jpg

So, what's the verdict? Outstanding. Particularly the wings. The leg quarter was delightful, but the wings were on another plane. Better than RSC? No...but it might be with a little tweaking. It is an easier cook than RSC. Without the sugar and oil, it's not as....adventurous. I thought it needed just a touch more salt. Then (after the fact) I noticed that most of the recipes on Wicker's web site suggest salt and pepper before proteins go on the grill. With a dash of salt before it goes on the grill, it might equal or (dare I say it?) exceed RSC...and with less drama.

Now I'm anxious to try Wicker's on some pork steaks.

That sounds & looks great! I'll be visiting family near St Louis in a few weeks - maybe I'll sneak some into my luggage... I'll def be trying the clone too.

Jeff,
First, it's good to hear you really like Wicker's.
Second, your bird looks delicious!
Third, hopefully Chris will move your post to the Photo Gallery where it rightfully belongs. :)
Fourth, I had to Google consigliere to make sure it's a good thing. :rolleyes: (even my spellchecker wants to change it to consignee)

It's a 3 hour drive from here to Hornersville, MO, and I've thought about going there to stock up, and to get some of their other products.
Maybe a road trip this winter to the shake the cabin fever blues.

The consigliere is the guy who writes the offers people can't refuse. He's the man with the ear of The Man.

500x281

Robert Duvall as Tom Hagen. The Godfather's informally adopted son and attorney.

Last edited:
Great post and thanks for sharing the info on the marinade. My wife has family in Missouri and I am going to see if I can get them to bring me some when the come down this fall. Your chicken looks delicious

Thanks, Cliff & Clint.

Craig, have them bring a couple bottles, if they can. I used more than half a bottle marinating and basting one chicken!

Great looking food, Jeff! And great commentary on Wickers and how it worked for you. I doubt I can get my hands on it easily, but I think I could crush a bottle of it in no time.

For those who didn't read the other thread...

Wicker's is a marinade with the following ingredient list: vinegar, salt, spices. They boast that it has no sugar and no oil, thus minimizing flare-ups and scorching. The aroma and taste are hard to describe. Some might say "earthy" I know why Bob and the others use cumin in their copycat recipes...it's either that or celery seed that gives it depth. It's spicy without being aggressively hot. I admire the lack of sugar, as most commercial products (and too darn many recipes) are too sweet for my taste.

If you can get your hands on a bottle, give it a try. If you can't, in this thread there's a discussion about copycat recipes that are darn close, according to those who have used both.

Jeff that is some awesome looking chicken. We are going to be on the look out for Wicker's in our stories. Hope we can fine some would like to try it.;)

Great write up Jeff. I'll be on the hunt for it here or at least make the clone. Your chicken looks great, I really have to try this as I find it hard to believe anything could be better then RSC.

Great write up Jeff. I'll be on the hunt for it here or at least make the clone. Your chicken looks great, I really have to try this as I find it hard to believe anything could be better then RSC.

Notice, Rich, that I very carefully did not say that! ;)

Hey Rich, Amazon has it for $14.00 24oz or $12.00 24oz Hickory. Free shipping if you have Prime.

Bill

Gotta love Amazon.... $14 for a $3 bottle of sauce...but shipping is FREE!!! :confused:

EDITED TO ADD:

Amazon can offer some great bargains, and I use them a lot (linked through here)...but you do have to pay attention.

Last edited:
Of course you must pay attention, however, in the parts of the country where you can't find the product and you're willing to spend whatever to try it, Amazon is an alternative. I'm with Jeff $14 for a $3 bottle is crazy but how bad do you want to try it? Good cooking and eat well.
Bill

Bill,

I think that's why the copycat recipes are so popular. You can check it out, without making a contribution to Jeff Bezos' retirement fund.

14bucks for a 3 buck bottle is insane... as good as it is... it's STILL insane.
Make your own using the recipe, it's Great!

And Jeff, your bird looks GREAT too!
if the Milwaukee area stores had Wicker's, I'd buy it up too, but i'll settle on making my own since they don't.

Back