Why I'm Done With Reverse Searing

I must be a lazy griller; I've never, ever tried the reverse sear but it sure sounds fancy. Mine go direct at 500f+ and then they're off (I can't afford thick-cut steaks) :p

Your steaks look beautiful; your friend had an awesome meal, I can see.

I may be brain dead... I just read an unrelated thread that reminded me I've reverse seared several Tri-Tips inspired by Chris' low & slow method and they did not disappoint any of us!

Those steaks look perfect. I have no issues with reverse sear. I usually hot tub them for a hour or so at 100 degree range then cook indirect to 120 then let rest and sear. I was really frustrated with my PK360 until I quit using a charcoal basket it really restricts the air flow no need to use one. You will get a mich better sear without it.C3117850-EB0B-4EE5-A701-C8F14EDE3249.jpeg

I agree with the sentiments expressed here to some extent but I've persevered and gotten better with the reverse sear. I find that it yields a more tender steak and it's a more fun cook. I pretty much do what Lynn does. I use a small amount of coals to bring the steak up to temp slowly at 225 to 250 degrees. I light a chimney at 80 internal so the coals are rip roaring by the time I'm ready to sear. I pull the steak at 105 and then sear when the coals are ready.

I cant seem to get the reverse sear for steaks down either. I've only tried twice though, both times failed, medium well. I will say that I do it with my tri tips everytime and always have great results. I feel it is easier to do with a little smoke flavor too.

I've only tried reverse sear a handful of times and had more fails then successes. By the time I get to the sear the coals have built up ash and they just don't sear well. I do see the idea of adding a new set of just started coals for the sear and it sounds like it'd work, maybe I'll try it some time. For now I've given up on it too.

I'm now using nothing but my Old Country Brazos offset. Primarily because I have a whole lot of pecan splits after my FIL cut down a pecan tree, and I need to use them.

Its much easier on the offset, just " smoke " the steak to 110, then move to the cowboy grate in the firebox to sear over a wood fire. Nothin like a wood fire.

In the past I've used my Kettle and my gasser with a cast iron griddle to sear, its pretty easy to have it fired up and up to temp by the time the steak is ready to sear. I really liked the " all over " sear from the griddle.

I then went to lump and small chunks of oak on the Kettle, cuz I like searing over wood.

8BB35357-0D60-4CD0-A581-1E7EC56C752B.jpeg
I’ve had some good experiences reverse searing.
Will post the complete cook over in the Photo Gallery.

I've been a little hit-or-miss with the reverse sear method. My last attempt earlier this week was probably the best so far. I'd agree that a thicker piece of meat is more of a determining factor than probably anything else. I lit about 1/2 a chimney of briquettes (plus what I had leftover from a previous cook), and dumped them in the charcoal baskets. I then added a handful of unlit charcoal on top, and closed down the vents to have a grill temp of 275-300. These steaks were slightly over an inch thick, so I didn't use a leave-in thermometer. I just probed periodically until they were 110-115. I pulled the meat and started stoking the coals with a hand-cranked blower; kinda like a bellows pump. Once everything was bright and glowing, I used the "cold grate" searing method and actually used a timer for one minute intervals per side (twice). My wife and I were pretty happy with the results.

In the past year or so, since I started trying to improve my grilling and BBQ skills, everything has been more of a learning/experimenting experience. I may just go back to a sear first way of cooking for steaks less than 1 1/2". Might as well make some comparisons, eh?

I really think one of the reasons it became popular is due to the kamado grills. You basically have to reverse sear, as a Kamado is single zone cooking and takes forever to drop in temp. Whereas you can get them from 225f to 600f in a few minutes.

I do think reverse sear turns out a better steak. However most guides online are wrong. My method is pull it from the 225f cycle around 95-100f using a remote thermometer. Then get grill hot but not nuclear, 550f ish. sear to 125f. Carryover will take it to 130-135f finish temp.

Most guides tell you to pull from first cycle at 115f internal which is way too high. It will carry over to 120-125f before it’s even seared. And their sear instructions are usually "as hot as you can get your grill" which can easily be 650-700f. By the time it’s seared (burnt) you’re hitting 140-145f then carrying over during rest to 150f.

Last edited:
For me, I first started to reverse sear when doing prime rib roast at Christmas. I used to start at 500, drop to 350 and would get a “gray ring” on the outer part of the roast. loved to technique but only do it with roasts.

Hard dried out meat sometimes don't work for me, this 3.48lb ribeye was thrown onto the Pitboss smoker at 190 for 2.5 hour, 135-137 in the center with a great hickory smoke flavor, sucklbusters 1836 rub.

I've done reverse sear and sous vide/sear with good results. But ...

Lately my go to method is Grill Grates on the Genesis. Salt the meat an hour+ ahead and let it dry brine. At cook time, pat dry if too much moisture is on surface. Add fresh cracked pepper.

I turn the 3 left-side Grill Grates (over two burners plus the searing burner) to the flat-top/plancha side and get them ripping hot. Burners a little past medium will usually do the trick; no need for full high.

The two right-side Grill Grates are turned grill-side-up over a burner set to low.

Sear the heck out of the steaks on the flat-tops with lid open for a complete crust (not just grill marks). I even use tongs to hold the steaks and sear the sides if they are really thick, like filet mignon.

Move seared steaks to the right/grate side, check meat temp, and close the lid to finish via indirect heat. I usually reduce the heat under the left/sear side as well. Check meat temp every minute or two with a Thermapen until it gets where you want.

This is simple and works great. Did some ribeyes from Sam's last weekend, and they were fantastic.

Back