Why I am moving...

I have to ask also..............has this seller been a FSBO all along? (For Sale By Owner) I can tell you as a former Realtor for 14 years I always steered my clients away from FSBOs as they're total pains in the a$$. Their houses have gold nails, are better than anyone else's, worth $20k above the market, and I could go on. They FSBO for basically 2 different reason. One, an unrealistic expectation of value or two, saving a commission. The thing is two people can't save the same money. So if as a buyer you're comparing a FSBO to one listed legitimately with a solid Realtor the FSBO should be priced at least 5% below anything else. I would truly try and have your real estate attorney try to sue them for specific performance. I don't know IN real estate law but I assume it's very close to IL law. If there was earnest money involved they at the least owe that back and MAYBE with penalties. If this truly falls on it's face for future deals leave FSBOs as they are. Not worth the time and trouble. The saying "an attorney who represents himself does no good" holds true for real estate deals as well. A good Realtor has a lot of training in home values, knows current real estate contract law (at least they should) and if ANY Realtor tells you don't bother with an attorney........................dump them like a hot potato. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a real estate attorney involved as soon as sigs go on a contract. Anything less can be costly if not in $$$$ in heartache as well
I always read LM's posts. I read all of this posts. Then there are some I truly pay attention to. I think the new term is word. Great post!

Last edited:
Jon sorry to hear about your troubles. But I do admire the way you are handling yourself in this unfortunate situation. I agree with you that even if you could force the sale having him as a neighbor would most likely be a nightmare. Hang in there I'm sure God has a plan.

Thanks very much Greg and all of you who have expressed support and concern. Less than two weeks, and my wife and I will start our "Great Adventure" (an old Stephen Curtis Chapman song). Don't have any solid leads, but we are fortunate to be able to return to the same AirBnB where we previously stayed while checking out the area and house hunting. The proprietor liked us enough to offer to trust us and allow us to stay there even though she would be on vacation for much of the time. It is a beautiful 50 acres out in the country with woods, meadow and a large deck inhabited by her two Springer Labs, and an undetermined number of outdoor cats, and somehow also dozens of hummingbirds. It was sitting out there on her deck that I came up with my three requests from my wife for this move:

A dog, a cat and a shop.

I still believe we will ultimately get to that, but time will tell how God will open the right door for us. At least we will have a relaxing and even familiar place to use as a home base for our Great Adventure.

IMG_2208.jpegIMG_2214.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't have any solid leads, but we are fortunate to be able to stay at the same AirBnB that we did the two times we previously stayed while checking out the area and house hunting. The proprietor liked us enough to offer to trust us and allow us to stay there even though she would be on vacation for much of the time. It is a beautiful 50 acres out in the country with woods, meadow and a large deck inhabited by her two Springer Labs and an undetermined number of outdoor cats and somehow also dozens of hummingbirds.
Have you asked her if she might be interested in selling?;)

Jon, you will find a place that will suit your purposes perfectly, exercise the patience and good judgement you put into everything I have seen you do and, you will find a fabulous spot. Offering prayers for you and all the family.
Be safe.

Back