Whole potatoes on the grill Poll

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Okay gang, how do you grill your whole spuds?
Smoked, cloaked, poked, or unprovoked?

For years I poked a couple of times with a fork, oiled, salted, and wrapped them in foil.
They were good, but now I poke them all over with a sharp pointed paring knife, oil, sprinkle on steak seasoning or rub, and grill them bare, the spuds, not me.
I also add a chunk of wood for smoke, then grill near the coals, not over them.

I foil to hold the heat while waiting for the meat to rest, finish sides, etc.
My wife likes hers in the foil, I unwrap mine and eat most, if not all, of the skin too.

We like them best this way, but always open to try other methods.

Depends
icon_smile.gif

But if im doing a big tatoe i do them indirect to soft with a bit of evoo salt/pepper

Never poke and no smoke if the meat that is the main needs it.

small ones indirect to almost soft then direct to finish them and let the skin crisp.

Never foil from now on.

And i eat it all!
icon_smile.gif

(spell) a bit drunk atm
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(spell) a bit drunk atm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just checked the time in Sweden, almost 8:30 PM. so you're good Daniel!
icon_biggrin.gif

foiled taters??
hmmm... never thought to.
no piercings either... (although, i have skewered them a time or two)
EVOO only...
near the coal... sometimes over.

I really like fingerlings. Bigger potatoes usually get quartered. I almost always toss potatoes in oil and kosher salt. I cook indirect unless I need them done quicker and I first place them cut side down to get a little color before I move them indirect to finish

We like 'em whole,foiled and indirect until done. We also like them thinly sliced almost all the way through, slivered garlic in most of the slices,EVOO & S/P. Indirect until soft. Very yummy!

I especially like red potatoes, indirect. Use a cast iron skillet just to keep 'em organized without a lot of fuss. Then quartered or whatever when done to add butter, S&P and whatever else. Just as much flavor as a bigger baking potato, but gets done quicker and more predictably. Fingerlings are good too, same way.

I usually do Lampe Specials (Yuk Gold) or reds on the grill tossed with EVOO, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder....1/2 the time whole, the other 1/2 I usually 1/4 them and make them like fat fries.

Depends...whole potatoes are almost always done indirect, sometimes oiled and seasoned, sometime not. I recently did some yukons with a technique I learned from Wolgast...cut in half and scored. They were some of the best I've ever had. I'm a big fan of this technique.

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

We do fingerlings a lot too. I usually do those in a grill basket over direct heat, tossing often.

IMG_3276.jpg

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Okay gang, how do you grill your whole spuds?
Smoked, cloaked, poked, or unprovoked?

Wrap them in HD Aluminum Foil with some garlic salt and pepper and put them Directly on the hot coal. Usually done within 45 minutes. Oh, I give them a turn at around the 20 minute mark.

I mostly do fingerlings with EVOO salt and lots pepper in one a those foil pans on exteme heat on my Q placed on a rack for 35 min after the Q is up to temp . But when I do whole taters I use the golds and indirect heat EVOO is a must S&P and letem cook.

I wrap them in foil and cook them slow indirect. When they are finished slice them down the middle and add pepper and some butter and eat them skin and all. Next time I am going to do them "Wolgast". Yours look great Don!

Scrub well, fork poke, foil, EVOO, salt, pepper, and a sprig of rosemary. If they're extra huge then I'll nail them so they don't take forever.

Russ

Here's what I do:

Cut the potato in 1/2 lengthwise. Hollow out in a little "notch" in each half. Fill the notches with some diced onion, diced cheese, and a clove of garlic. Season it with salt, pepper, and maybe some rub you like. Put the potato back together, either rub it with oil or spray with Pam. Then roll it in Kosher salt and wrap it in aluminum foil.

Place directly next to the coals (not on the grill). Turn them halfway through. They take 45-60 minutes to cook that way.

I never foil as it just steams them, keeping them dense rather than light, and one is dependent on adding things to the foil for flavor.

I like them in the coals - unfoiled - or on the grate. Often I do smaller potatoes (huge fan of new potatoes and fingerlings) and, depending on time, might simmer them first before oiling, seasoning and placing on the grate. I like to make planks of large bakers (cutting them lengthwise into ~3/8-1/2-inch slabs, simmering them in seasoned water for 7 or 8 minutes, then oiling/seasoning and putting on the grate. They come out light and flaky inside, crispy outside, like a good french fry.

First? No. But when doing thick-skinned potatoes (bakers, fingerlings, et al.) it is worth doing after they've cooked after at least halfway. Moisture contained in the potato facilitates cooking at first. Then, for a light, flaky, result, piercing the potato offers an escape route for the built-up steam.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I never foil as it just steams them, keeping them dense rather than light, and one is dependent on adding things to the foil for flavor.

I like them in the coals - unfoiled - or on the grate. Often I do smaller potatoes (huge fan of new potatoes and fingerlings) and, depending on time, might simmer them first before oiling, seasoning and placing on the grate. I like to make planks of large bakers (cutting them lengthwise into ~3/8-1/2-inch slabs, simmering them in seasoned water for 7 or 8 minutes, then oiling/seasoning and putting on the grate. They come out light and flaky inside, crispy outside, like a good french fry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I likem in the coals a LOT Kevin . Yrs ago befor they stoped us from burning leaves in the fall as a kid we would toss some taters in the burning leaves and man o man they were a treat .

If you've never done sweetpotatoes that way, do. Of course, either kind cooked directly in the coals, well, the skin gets totally black and inedible (and I do like the skin) but cooked till tender then halved - major light and flaky. (Love sweets with chipotle mayo and lime, or butter and lime.)

Back