Which WSMs fit a half pan?

RFoust

I've had a WSM 22.5 for several years now and love it, but I'm finding that it's not big enough when I want to do some meat and a few sides (mac & cheese, baked beans) at the same time. So my question is, can the smaller models (specifically the 14) hold a half pan? Trying to figure out what size to get for a backup/overflow smoker. :). Thanks!

-Robbie (Raleigh, NC

Official size 12.75 by 10.375.
So forgetting all math..
About 8.2 or so radius. 18 easily, 14 not too easily.
The disposable aluminum pans are a bit smaller and easier to squeeze.

You need to measure the diagonal of your half pan and compare that to grate size.
The disposable half pans I get from Sam's club measure 15" on the diagonal to the outside lip.
17.5" top grate for the 18"
13.5" top grate for the 14"
Like Tony said you might be able to fold the lips and squeeze it into the 14" WSM.

The round pan suggestion makes perfect sense, I will look at available sizes next time I go to GFS, I do t remember seeing a lot of round ones but, that would make life a lot easier!

Just measured a disposable. Not the best but usable in a pinch. 13.5 inches if you bend the corners up. Is there any more space on a 14.5 outside the grill grate? This would work. Course a stainless one would be better...

Last edited:

Scroll down to, "Buy Foil Pans That Fit Your WSM".

pork-butts-foil-pans-6.jpg

I've only used half size steam table pans in the 18" WSM, these from Walmart fit fine. It's 15-1/8" diagonal. If yours is slightly larger, you can bend up the corners to make it fit.

IMG_3203[1].JPG

IMG_3204[1].JPG

Unfortunately, this pan won't fit in the 14" WSM. For that, try a Dutch Oven foil liner. You can get them in 10" and 12" diameters. The 12" version has a rim that makes it about 13.25" across, but you can easily fold up the rim all the way around to make it smaller...or just go with the 10". Wicked sharp edges, be careful when handling!

IMG_3205[1].JPG

Interesting, thanks for all the replies! Sounds like an 18 might be the way to go for me. Heck I'd just get another 22.5 if it didn't burn so much fuel. :)

How about a compromise............

Add another entire grate level to your 22 for about half the price of a new 18" WSM. Plus you're only working with one cooker, and the stacker option let's you hang 15+ full racks of ribs without burning/charring the ends. To me it's a no-brainer :) ;)

Attachments

• WSM_w-stacker.jpg
    WSM_w-stacker.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 8

Back