Which would be better?

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a 9lb bone in Boston butt marinating in mojo. I want to do it on one of my smokers. My initial intention is to do it on the 14.5 (brand new so I need to break it in) or should I do it on the 22.5?

I plan on getting on at about 9 the latest 10 am (not serving until Sunday, I do have reinforcements just in case lol) It def would be minion method no higher than 275* (although when I cook it in the oven the temp is at 325) to an IT temp of 200ish. Apple wood smoke. I've planned my whole day around it.

Thank you in advance.
TGIF

You will use a lot of fuel in the 22.5. At around 275, you might be in for 18 hours or less. Couple of six packs of Yeuengling and you should be good to go.

I cooked it on the 14.5 it took a very long time to get through the stall. The smoker temperature kept fluctuating a lot. After the 12 hour mark I put it in the oven to reach 200. Thank you for your help.

Jo
Do you think if you added more charcoal your temp would have settled down?

I was adding charcoal when the temp was dropping at a steady rate. After the addition it would rise too high. Yes water was in the water pan.

*i think my problem is this:
I can start the minion method with all of the vents wide open, the top one definitely, with the middle piece and the lid on, the temp will creep up slowly until smoking temp. At that point the dampers get adjusted, the meat gets put on along with the maverick.
The temp still rises to the point that it's running too hot, then down too low. I have to practice more with the vent control.

I think they should do away with the stock thermometer bc it's really off compared to the maverick.

Mine is off 25 degrees from the grate temp with the Maverick. Considering what a pile of junk it is, that's not so bad. :)

Back