Which Vortex

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
Doing -up some chicken pieces(around 50 small pieces chicken wings and 6 drumsticks); so trying to decide which size Vortex Cones to use(Medium or Small) on my 22" Weber Performer Deluxe.

I think I will go with the Medium Vortex with a Weber Chimney 3/4 full with the Bottom Vent 1/2 closed and the top Vent fully open after the Weber Briquets are lit???

Your comments will be truly appreciated on my planned action stated above.

Charcoal is cheap compared to the disappointment of soggy skin. I also go full chimney and open vents to get the temperature up there. Towards the end I'll even leave the lid cracked.
Putting foil around the vortex seems to help channel the air for a hotter fire and avoids a mess to clean up later.

I use and do what Timothy shared. I am not a choker when using the Vortex for HH cooks. I've even cracked the lid slightly a few times, which produces an even higher pit temp.

On chicken what type of "Spritz" do you use as I plan to mix some Apple Vinegar with some white wine and "Spritz" the chicken each time I lift the lid, around each 15 minutes.

Thanx to all that replied so far!

I am not a spritzer on HH wings, lol. I am far from an expert chef but there's lots of fat in my wings and I enjoy the cripsiest of crispy skin. The last time I did wings 1 month ago I think my lid thermo was ~600f and I pulled the wings at probably 30 minutes. I cut my wings in three pieces and discard the tips before prepping them. I may have lifted the lid twice for two seconds. I did not flip them. When I pulled them there were a handful that I held directly over the Vortex via tongs for 3 seconds.

I went with the Medium Size Vortex loaded with a Regular Chimney full of Weber Blue Bag. I did not "spritz",did not flip the wings, rotated the Kettle Lid 45 Degrees every 15 minutes and placed a large chunk of Applewood. I also placed aluminum foil around the outside of the Vortex for easy clean-up.

Oh, everyone stated that they really enjoyed the Wings that were fully cooked at 170F in around 40 minutes. Thanx to all that responded to my situation.

Last edited:
Vortex for Chicken parts, FOREVER! We celebrated my Wife's Birthdaty last night with Vortex Party Wings from Costco, fresh green beans, Bi-Color Corn on the Cobb, and Macaroni Salad. It was only WONDERFUL!

Dale53

Another vote for medium size, half full, all vents open and foil layer around the perimeter to channel air up through the Vortex, as well as catch the drippings.

Back