Which portable propane tank do you use

For the Q1xx I get the Coleman brand 2 pack from Walmart. They seem to have the best price. The Q1xx gets good gas mileage.

I converted my Q2xx to use a regular 20lb regulator hose assembly. It cost about 4 bucks in brass fittings and the performance wasn’t affected.

Flame King 1lb refillable......doesn't hurt that my local sporting goods store has a promotion that if you buy a cylinder (for $11), you get lifetime free refills. I have four. :). Oh, and no fit issues.....quality cylinders.

Rich
Wish I could find a refill deal like that around here......

Flame King 1lb refillable......doesn't hurt that my local sporting goods store has a promotion that if you buy a cylinder (for $11), you get lifetime free refills. I have four. :). Oh, and no fit issues.....quality cylinders.

Rich
Seems like a heck of a deal, whose offering that? I see REI carries them but they are sold out.

Walmart put 5lb tanks on clearance if anyone is interested. These make a nice cost and portability compromise between disposable tanks and 20lb tanks. A word of warning, however, you will have to learn how to negotiate when you refill these - most places have a 20lb price only.

EDIT: not really sure why the link to Walmart.com is showing up as "Robot or human", but it works

Seems like a heck of a deal, whose offering that? I see REI carries them but they are sold out.
Sports Basement. You do have a to be a member, but the lifetime is cheap, and you get 10% minimum discount on anything you buy.

At Walmart around $9 for a 2 pack of Coleman.

The 20lb exchange at Walmart was $16.60 in January up from $14.92

C. Lewis: Yep, that is what I was alluding to in my post above. It is sooo much less expensive that way. Less than a dollar a refill.

I have an adapter to refill the 1# tanks from my 20# tanks.

*Note to young people, "#" means pound.
Is that hard to do? Where did you get the adapter? I have quite a few empties and three 20# tanks in the rotation, and wouldn't mind re-filling them a few times.

Thanks!

Is that hard to do? Where did you get the adapter? I have quite a few empties and three 20# tanks in the rotation, and wouldn't mind re-filling them a few times.

Thanks!
You can get the fitting from Amazon.

Here is a YouTube video that looks reasonable.

Yah, I bought my adapter off Amazon for about $7. A couple tricks I have found is first, put the green cylinder in the freezer before you try to fill it and let it cool for a couple hours or more. Second, don't be in a rush to end the refill. If you leave it go for a couple hours, you will get a lot more in the disposable cylinder than you would if you just wait for the whoosh sound to stop like some suggest.

I find if the big tank is only half full and I do it on a hot day I get more in the small tanks than with a full big tank. I weigh the small tanks before and after so I am sure I don’t over fill them.

Thanks!
I think I got it at Harbor Freight, but it's been a long time ago. Very easy to do. Pre-cool the smaller one in the freezer, attach the fitting to the large and small tank, and turn upside down, open the large tank valve.

Back