Which MM? - Informal Poll

JimT

TVWBB Pro
When firing up your WSM for a long cook, what variation of the Minion Method do you use?

1. Spread the lit coals over the top?
2. Dump them in a pile in the center?
3. The coffee can trick in the center?
4. Some other variation?

Kind of curious what works for you, and why.

JimT

I spread them across the top. I use the BBQ Guru and that method always gets me a good, complete burn. Haven't tried any of the other methods but why try to fix something that ain't broke?
icon_wink.gif

Jim, I make a depression in the charcoal and put them in the middle. On my first smoke I tried spreading the lit coals all over the top and I had trouble keeping my temps up. I believe it was from the ash choking out the lit. I've changed charcoal and started using this method and have not had a problem since

I start with only 10 lit coals and spread them across the top. Key for me is to make sure it is a very slow ramp up in temperature and to make sure there are no leaks in either the access door or between sections. I also use sand instead of water.

13 - 20 coals spread out. I did have a problem a couple of times getting up to temp. May have been moist charcoal, but I think I will try Paul's method of putting them in the middle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Jim, I make a depression in the charcoal and put them in the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto.

I experimented with the coffee can last time and it worked pretty well. However, my temps were a little higher. Could that be from the lit coals lighting more unit coals because they are in contact with more coals? Just a thought.

Normally I just spread the lit coals over the unlit.

15 lit coals. When I used Kingsford, in the middle, using lump now, spread over the top. Using Guru also.

I usually start with an empty charcoal ring, light a full chimney (not as large as the Weber chimney) of charcoal, then dump it in a pile on one side of the charcoal ring. I then fill the ring with unlit, so the lit coals are at one edge of the pile.

Back