Which is the better grill? Silver B or 1000

If you could rehab and own just one Genesis class grill, would it be a Genesis 1000 or Silver B?

• Genesis 1000

Votes: 33 91.7%
  • Silver B

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
I prefer the vintage looks of the x000 series but I find the Silver/Gold/Platinum Series better to work with. The frames of the closed cabinet Genesis are about 2.5" higher than the open cabinets. For me being 6'4" every inch of countertop height counts. And I can stuff all my grill stuff in the closed cabinets out of sight.
On top of that the thermoset tables are easier to care for than wood. They will never rot. And last but not least there are the stainless steel frames of the Genesis Platinum grills. My grills are always outside. Rain, shine or hail. So weather resistance is key.
But I have discarded the SS lid of Platinum C and replaced it with the Blue lid that either came from a Genesis 1000 or early Silver.
When I still restored grills, I worked on several x000. The last one was even a Skyline 3000 which I was thinking of keeping. But the lower counter top height was a no go for me. This is the same reason I do not like the standard kettles. I prefer the Performer. Not the SS Performer but the later ones with the Thermoset table. Long story short I prefer practicability over optics.

I definitely do agree that the later Silver/Gold/Platinum with the higher frames are nicer than the lower ones on the earlier Genesis. And, for a daily workhorse driver - vs show-off grill - thermoset is a lot easier to deal with on a day to day basis. But I still like the older ones better for a variety of reasons.

A side note: the higher frame also extends to the corresponding late Silver A's which stand a good bit taller than the original version. I hope to post a thread sometime soon about this. I have one of each waiting for this Dr. Frankenstein to merge the Skyline hood (old style frame) with the newer Silver A cabinet/frame & thermoset tables. Then maybe some GrillGrates and I will have a small-size daily driver for when it is just our small household.

Yah, I wear hearing aids and I have more nose hairs than I do on the top of my head.
The true test of getting old is when someone accuses you of being old and you don't deny it.

I did discover an useful purpose for hair in your ears...when you are welding and a spark lands in your ear, it keeps it from burning the inside of your ear.

Last edited:
It is not that hard to clean a 1000.

Fun video. I can't believe they didn't wait till it stopped raining to do the video. How many people are going to be out in the rain giving their grill a deep clean, then BBQ with a cocktail? I definitely would have taken off the burners and hosed the whole thing down to remove the grill cleaner though. I came across this searching for 13 vs 5 bar cook boxes. It is also coincidental that I just bought a can of that cleaner last week to try out.

Back