Which is more cost effective- 24 Weber starter cubes or a weed burner w 20lb tank

Jon Duncan

Which one would cost less in the long run? Do you guys have any idea?

24 cubes are 3.30 at lowes/ace, and a refill on a propane tank is about 15-20 bucks. I could also probably make my own paraffin cube starters as well.

Last edited:
I like to use 2-3 paper towels, still connected if possible, and drizzle a capful of cooking oil over them. Roll it up then coil it in the bottom of my chimney - never an issue over the last few years. I had some safety issues when I used a handheld torch (unattended).

Given your choices, I'd say starter cubes. But if you use cast iron cookware (I just got a bunch) you can use the paper towels infused w/ oil from the cleaning/reseasoning process.

I use two 5 gallon propane tanks, one for my outdoor banjo burner and the other for my weed burner. I swap them them when my banjo burner propane tank starts to get low. I get them filled on a Military base for $12 each and they last about a year so for $24 a year I think it is a deal so it is a non issue for me.

I use a high output propane torch on a one pound tank, it works great.
You can get a basic propane kit for under $20 in a big box store.

Good luck.

Bob

My personal first choice is to use my Touch N Go on the Performer whether I am using that grill or not. Don't have a weed burner, but can certainly appreciate how well it must work. My second choice is the Weber cubes. I did the paper towel and oil thing for a long time, but really like the cubes so much better from the standpoint of what I need to carry around. My grills are all on a covered slab that is disconnected from my house and in my back yard. Therefore, I end up carrying things from my house/garage to the grilling area. Cubes are a whole lot less to carry than anything else. From the pure cost standpoint, I would guess the gas would be cheaper in the long run. From the aspects of convenience and transportability, the cubes are tough to beat.

I never have News Paper so i do it a bit different. I use my Grill's Side burner to light my charcoal starter. I just sit it right on there and when it gets hot enough i just turn the burner off.

No newspaper? Do you get junkmail like grocery store ads and flyers? Those with a 2-3 second spray of Pam works great.

I place a chafing dish fuel burner under the chimmney, let it burn a few minutes. Remove it carefully once coals are going, then cover it and use it several more times.

It really depends on what other things you might use the weed burner for.

Weber Starter Cubes - Much lower initial cost. 2 cubes = $3.30 divided by 24/2 = 27.5 cents

Weed Burner - $30 Weed Burner(est) + $30 Propane Tank(est) + $15 propane = $75. - 75.0 / .274 cents = 272
This means you will need to be able to start 272 cooks using a weed burner before you cover the costs.

If you already have a spare propane tank - $30 +15 = 45 - 45/.274 = 164 or 164 cooks

Using one cube or three cubes changes costs and you would have to do the math.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html This weed burner is $30, with a 20% off coupon is $24. They also have one without the push button starter for $20, but the push button one is easier(more fun).

So... list all of the other thing you can do with your weed burner, justify the costs and go get one.

It really depends on what other things you might use the weed burner for.

Weber Starter Cubes - Much lower initial cost. 2 cubes = $3.30 divided by 24/2 = 27.5 cents

Weed Burner - $30 Weed Burner(est) + $30 Propane Tank(est) + $15 propane = $75. - 75.0 / .274 cents = 272
This means you will need to be able to start 272 cooks using a weed burner before you cover the costs.

If you already have a spare propane tank - $30 +15 = 45 - 45/.274 = 164 or 164 cooks

Using one cube or three cubes changes costs and you would have to do the math.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html This weed burner is $30, with a 20% off coupon is $24. They also have one without the push button starter for $20, but the push button one is easier(more fun).

So... list all of the other thing you can do with your weed burner, justify the costs and go get one.

don't most people already have propane and a tank? initial cost for that = 0$

I got my weed burner from harbor freight for $10 on special last year

Jon,

I've tried the paper method and the burner on my performer, but I found neither of them easier or more convenient than the starter cubes. I buy them three boxes at a time and they last a while. They couldn't be easier. I have two bricks wrapped in foil on the ground beside my grill. When I want to grill or smoke I toss cube on the bricks, load the chimney, and set it on the brick. Shortly, I have great coals and a delicious supper. It's just too easy, so I stick with that method. I don't have to store anything (the cubes stay in my performer bin), prep anything, or accidentally leave the gas running. It works big time for me. Good luck.

I place a chafing dish fuel burner under the chimmney, let it burn a few minutes. Remove it carefully once coals are going, then cover it and use it several more times.

I like this idea. The flame gets high enough to work, huh? What about in windy weather? Seems there might be issues with wind.

I never have News Paper so i do it a bit different. I use my Grill's Side burner to light my charcoal starter. I just sit it right on there and when it gets hot enough i just turn the burner off.

Ditto. Before that, I used weber cubes, before that, paper towels, before that, newspaper, before that, starter fluid, before that, gasoline (stand back:eek::eek::rolleyes:):rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::cool:;).....................d

Last edited:
I like the convenience of starter cubes and there are cheaper brands available than Weber. I used newspaper before and then a propane torch with map gas. The paper really adds ash to my grill. I like the starter cubes the best. There is always a price convenience!:eek:

Last edited:

Back