Which is more cost effective- 24 Weber starter cubes or a weed burner w 20lb tank

Though I prefer the cubes (I only use one per chimney light) due to the ash level as well, I take the Sunday paper for 1 dollar a week. SWMBO clips 3 to 5 bucks worth of coupons out of it. (and the local grocery store doubles coupons under .50) I then use the paper to light my chimney. Every once in a while I have to buy a lighter but I generally make money by taking the paper.

But what I'm actually wondering is, per grill/smoke, is the propane that the weed burner uses that needs to be refilled (I don't care much about the actual burner) more expensive, or the starter cubes?

But what I'm actually wondering is, per grill/smoke, is the propane that the weed burner uses that needs to be refilled (I don't care much about the actual burner) more expensive, or the starter cubes?

At this point, you're splitting hairs. Would a few pennies one way or the other influence your decision?
How about storing the cubes vs. a weed burner, hose, & tank? That would be more of my concern.

At this point, you're splitting hairs. Would a few pennies one way or the other influence your decision?
How about storing the cubes vs. a weed burner, hose, & tank? That would be more of my concern.

Yeah, i was thinking of the storage issue for the weed burner, but I still figured one might cost a lot more than the other down the road. I might end up just doing both.

I'm sure if I start making my own firestarters, that will be the best cost wise, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that road.

Last edited:
Ahhh. The side burner. I'll have to try that one out. I bought a package of the cubes but i only use them to start the fireplace. They kick butt for that.

Back