Where is the Stogie Method ??

Guys,
I've noticed discussions about the 3,2,1 Stogie method, and read threads where links have been posted, but they're all dead links.

Any ideas as to where I can find full details on the Stogie Method ?

It looks different to the BRITU method which calls for raising the temperature through the cook, but Stogie doesn't ???

Thanks,
Ron

Never have seen the point of this recipe. Sounds like they'd be DFOTB (DONE fell off the bone) and light on the bark, cooking so low and then so long in the foil. Even if cooking ribs in a really dry environment like a wsm with a dry foiled pan, I'd still want to cook over 250* to get a decent bark before foiling. Besides, I don't see how you can cook back ribs so much without drying them out.
icon_confused.gif

I simply smoke my ribs (usually St. Louis) til tender at around 250* with the Weber water pan used as intended. If I cook too slow I don't get the texture I'm looking for, and letting the pan simmer helps keep the bark from maturing too fast and getting dry and hard.

Three slabs in my cooker over tips on my bottom rack are usually done in a little less than five hours, depending on if I have to glaze any of them. I either half the slabs and put 3 halves per grate if using three grates, or simply roll and skewer all the slabs on the top grate. Sometimes the simple method is best, and I strongly feel my best spares off the wsm are smoked like this. They're so good I prefer no glaze and just a 50/50 vinegar/water bath at the end followed by a few more shakes of my rub, like what's popular in Memphis.

However, I strongly recommend foiling ribs if you're a dry panner, and one way to do it is how I smoked some backribs a while back. I used a foiled dry pan and finished the ribs in the oven so I could then smoke some chicken pieces.

As for times/temps it's something like 2 hrs at 275* until first sign of a little pullback. Wrap in foil meat side down with whatever you want to use and put in a 260* oven. Check for tenderness no later than an hour later. When tender you can then put back on the smoker and glaze, but it's not necessary unless trying to win a competition. Times depend hugely on the size of the ribs and I got this technique from "Thirdeye". He calls them EZ baby back ribs and foils them with thinned bbq sauce and some honey.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke...02/12/ezbb-ribs.html

Thanks Dave,
Another method I've gotta try until I find one I 'love' ...

Interesting that you cook over 225 deg F. Is this measured at the dome ?

First time I used my Stoker I realized that the dome was 10 deg warmer than at the grate.

I've yet to try variations with water or no-water ....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron B - NE Ontario, Canada:
Thanks Dave,
Another method I've gotta try until I find one I 'love' ...

Interesting that you cook over 225 deg F. Is this measured at the dome ?

First time I used my Stoker I realized that the dome was 10 deg warmer than at the grate.

I've yet to try variations with water or no-water .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wsm has had a gauge for three years now so that's what I'm usually referring to. Not worried too much about actual cooking temps and more interested in timing the cook and how the ribs turn out. Since I don't use an ATC I only "try" to measure grate temp for long cooks so I can keep monitor the cooker from inside or bedside.

Back