Where is the Smoke in the WSM, Aint no smoke in them thar Hills.

open bottom vents and use top vent to control temp. I'll bet that's how the stick burner ran (Intake open, Exhaust mostly closed)

Is this in response to Erik Tracy's question?

Is that the best way to smoke on the WSM? Weber recommends using the top vent for temperature control on their kettle grills. Seems like that arrangement would make sense on their smokers as well.

open bottom vents and use top vent to control temp. I'll bet that's how the stick burner ran (Intake open, Exhaust mostly closed)

I'm pretty sure closing the top vent is not recommended on the WSM.

Usually people complain about too much smoke and I've cut back some. I believe the smoke is infused the first two or three hours. I get my fire going put two or three fist sized chunks right on the fire and let it smoke away. I always have a good smoke ring, good smoke flavor so I was kind of surprised to see this post. Just my 2 cents.

Steve, Rusty
The original complaint is not enough smoke flavor. I replied with what works
I did not say "close" I said "use"
Water in the water pan is also recommended. most people ditch that after kindergarten.

Yes I understand the smoke issue and I'm surprised to hear that, as I said above.

I also wouldn't consider people who use water to be in a 'kindergarten' phase of operating their smokers. I would consider it to be a preference.

The WSM is different than a stick burner because it uses charcoal as a heat source and a few wood chunks for smoke flavor. Stick burners use wood primarily as a heat source and that adds the flavor.
I would look for a good place for quality smoke wood with the proper moisture content for the WSM.:wsm:

Tim

Got to agree with Tim. The wood you get at the big box stores is kiln dried, not the best way to dry it. I bought some smoking wood chunks from the Woodshed in California, they specialize in smoking woods of all types. There's is dried naturally and has the right amount of moisture. I have to say there is a world of difference when I use there's vs. box store wood.

Using Google to search "enough smoke" tvwbb site:tvwbb.com
you will see this has been a subject brought up several times.
https://www.google.com/search?q="en...e=UTF-8#q="enough+smoke"+tvwbb+site:tvwbb.com

I'm still of the opinion that the amount of smoke flavor is a personal thing, possibly based on regional barbecue that we use as a guide for what we consider to be good barbecue.
Your well smoked might be my mild, and my well smoked might make you gag.

I do use properly seasoned wood, and I do use a pretty large amount, and I do get smoke flavor, just not up to my expectations.
Compared to the nasty stuff I turned out on a stick burner though, I'm fine with the results.

There's is dried naturally and has the right amount of moisture. I have to say there is a world of difference when I use there's vs. box store wood.

Interesting.

So, we're assuming wood chunks sold at home centers and big box stores were probably kiln-dried?

I took a walk at a local state park yesterday, and I saw a lot of hardwood lying on the ground. Maybe the ranger won't mind if I lug an arm-size piece or two out of there.

Bumping an older thread here, but, in spite of using Royal Oak lump with embedded hickory chunks (3), I am not getting the smoke flavor I desire either in the WSM. I thought smoking a butt with no rub would make a difference in smoke flavor, but apparently, it did not.

I'm thinking about using Kingsford's Hickory Competition briquettes on my next smoke with a few more hickory chunks too.

I'm thinking about using Kingsford's Hickory Competition briquettes on my next smoke with a few more hickory chunks too.

There ain't no such animal. There's hickory infused briquettes, and there's competition briquettes, but they are not combined.

I guess my best bet is to use more hickory chunks.

I use several (6-8) fist size chunks of oak distributed across the bed of charcoal.
If I use fruit wood (chunks varying between golf ball and tennis ball size) I use a bunch of it distributed across the bed of charcoal.
I get a rich delicious smoky flavor.

I assume you're using naturally seasoned wood, Charles?

So far, I've mostly used store-bought wood chunks from Walmart. I do have access to fresh-cut pecan, oak, pear and some form of maple, but I haven't used them much as I prefer hickory. A state park close to me has all types of hardwood, but I am not sure what I am looking for when it comes to hickory. I seriously doubt the ranger would object to missing a small limb or two lying on the ground.

KD or kiln dried wood is fine for furniture or house building but IMO it lacks for smoke flavor.
Even " properly seasoned" wood can be lame tasting because of how was it stored, ( siting out in the elements )
Like I said in my previous post, spend a few bucks and buy some quality smoke wood with the right moisture content and you'll be glad you did.
The first time I used Hickory from Smokenlicious was like night and day compared to the bagged stuff.
I spend like $ 70.00 a year for smokewood that I like and me and the family think it's worth it.:wsm:

Tim

Thanks, Tim.

I think I'll check out the local BBQ joints and see where they get their hickory stock from. Maybe they'll sell me a few sticks.

I get the oak off the fire wood stack and cut it into chunks.
The fruit wood was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law.
I don't know the brand but she got me several boxes via mail order.
Hopefully she will gift me some more.

Steve, Rusty
The original complaint is not enough smoke flavor. I replied with what works
I did not say "close" I said "use"
Water in the water pan is also recommended. most people ditch that after kindergarten.

Really, what makes water vs no water grade school on the topic?

Usually people complain about too much smoke and I've cut back some. I believe the smoke is infused the first two or three hours. I get my fire going put two or three fist sized chunks right on the fire and let it smoke away. I always have a good smoke ring, good smoke flavor so I was kind of surprised to see this post. Just my 2 cents.
i feel the same. i get decent smoke flavor (to me) with mostly charcoal and just a chunk of oak or maple in the early going. my better half is not a fan of strong smoke flavor ,so maybe ive adjusted my tastes in the interest of matrimonial harmony. :p

Back