Where do you get your meat?

Facundo Silva

TVWBB Member
I just finished read Franklin Barbecue and Feeding the Fire. Both books place a big emphasis on the quality of the meat. I've looking around at the local butcher shops but their prices seem out of touch with reality. Standard chains like Safeway and Giant are the worst at least here in DC, to the point that I made a resolution not to shop there ever again which of course it's not practical. Whole Foods has some really nice meats but again prices are a bit too high.

So I've decided do all my wine and meat shopping at the all might Costco. I think the price-quality ratio is unbeatable. I will still look around for some gem butcher shops with affordable prices.

Cheers,

Consistency is also a key factor and I believe Costco wins hands down. Unfortunately lately Costco's Rotisserie Chickens have taken a turn for the worst. I get home with a R C and find it needs to be cooked longer. Not good or healthy. Keep a look out for doneness.

Bill

meat prices are not anywhere they use to be... it wasn't long ago (perhaps only 3 years ago) where pork steaks and butts were selling everyday at $1.49 to 1.99lb...
bone in rib eye steaks were at $7.99lb and brisket at $5.29lb

the popularity of BBQ has not helped keep those prices down either, in fact, it has helped killed the meat prices.
And the old saying is still true today, "you get what you pay for".
Some joints (grocery chains) have meat at lower prices, but the quality is suitable only for my dog's bowl (in my opinion)

A local spot here in SE Wisconsin, Woodman's, has, (again) in my opinion, the worst selection of beef AND pork... where local quality butcher shops carry the finest cuts of beef and pork, but the prices will deflate your billfold.

I have no problem whatsoever paying top buck if the meat they're wrapping up for me is good stuff.
But I refuse to buy meat of any kind that has the quality of a discount meat truck.

Been buying my meat at Costco and been very happy. The other day the local Fry's (Kroger) had bone in New York strips for $4.59 in the value pack. I bought a pack of four thinking that was a great price. Wrong! We grilled a couple with just SPOG and they had absolutely no taste at all, the most bland steaks I've ever had. Going to stay with Costco because there good and consistent with the best meat in this area.

There Is a Wegmans on the east side of Washington (near Capitol Heights). At a minimum, they have the best pork butts for $1.49 per pound. You can get anything you desire there, with the exception of a full brisket.

Costco is good and where I get most of my meat. However, in Detroit, there is a place called the Eastern Market. Basically, it's a food distribution center. This is where the restaurants get there food. There are meat processers there where you can get really good meat for very reasonable prices. Keep in mind that reasonable does not mean cheap. I bought a prime rib there once and the meat was very good and the price was better than average. You're not going to get wholesale prices but if there is a place like that near you, it's worth checking out. Start by asking your favorite restaurant where they get their meat. That will get you pointed in the right direction. In general though, the price to quality ratio at Costco is hard to beat.

I agree with Jim. I happily pay a little more for better quality. It's just my wife and I so when I BBQ something it lasts us a little while so I get the best I can find. I get my pork butt from Whole Foods. They are locally raised and unenhanced.

I am fairly fortunate to have two Ag colleges relatively close (about an hour). I buy a lot of my meats from the meat lab. I find the quality to be excellent and the prices to be reasonable. I also find that the meat is aged better than at your chain stores which effects taste and tenderness. When this option is too far SAMs is where I'll get meat.

We've been buying steaks and chops from a place similar to WFs. It's a smaller chain called Earth Fare. They have knowledgable butchers and the prices aren't terrible. Best rib eyes around.

I only shop at the finest walmarts.

Made me laugh, really like your humor! But have to agree, sometimes Walmart is the only place I can find anything. Where I live we have only 1 meat market with limited hours and 1 grocery store and Walmart.

Depends on what cut of meat your buying. Beef steaks obviously are one that you would want a better grade like choice or prime. Beef roasts are fine with me as long as they are choice, but if we get into brisket , than that gets subjective.
Obviously Franklin uses prime brisket and alot of comp folks use waygu or similar.
Butts are pretty general unless you buy some heritage breed pigs.
I have the Fulton Meat market on the west side of Chicago when I'm looking for deals.

Tim

Last edited:
I go to Restaurant Depot and see what they have on the clearance cart. Picked up a nice Angus Beef Whole packer for $2.29/lb. that will be my next cook.

I'm also in the Walmart crew right now. There are a few local butchers here in the Richmond, VA area, but I just haven't had the opportunity to check them out yet. I might splurge on a butcher shop brisket and see if it's really any better. Walmart's packers seem to be good enough for me and the family right now.

I concur on the Costco love. The only thing they don't carry are bone in beef short ribs. Still looking around for those.

I go to Restaurant Depot and see what they have on the clearance cart. Picked up a nice Angus Beef Whole packer for $2.29/lb. that will be my next cook.

Don't you have to have a tax id or something to shop there?

Been thinking of getting a dba just for that...lol

Back