When will the next line of WSM be released?

Andrew - J

When will the next line of WSM be released and what upgrades/differences would you expect on new model?

I‘m contemplating getting one but would hold off if better version is just around the corner.

Other than maybe a special color, I’ve seen nor heard of zero pending updates. It’s like the kettle, what can you really upgrade? Not a whole lot other than maybe the door.
Don’t wait and buy

Hopefully not for a while since I just bought one. Also, you may want to get one now. They've had two price increases recently, the most recent being mid year which my vendor told me never happens.

The history of the WSM has been...very little change.
  • 1981: 14.5" and 18.5" WSMs are introduced.
  • ~ 1983: 14.5" WSM is discontinued.
  • ~ 1983: Switch to aluminum legs and access door. (Steel legs and access door tended to rust.)
  • 2000: Switch from wooden lid handle to plastic lid handle.
  • 2009: 22.5" WSM is introduced with new features: lid thermometer, redesigned access door handle, and tabs that allow access door to hang open. These features were added to the 18.5" WSM at the same time.
  • 2014: 14.5" WSM is reintroduced with a new feature: silicone thermometer grommet. This feature was added to the 18.5" and 22.5" WSMs at the same time.
That's it!

I am with TimA in that I would not be surprised if Weber did something crazy like a limited edition colorful WSM, but I have no insight into if or when this will actually happen.

Given the tendency for smart cooking devices in the SmokeFire pellet grills and now in Genesis Smart gas grills, I can also imagine incorporating such a device into a rolling cart into which the WSM is placed. I don't know how big of a seller that would be, but probably not enough to make it worth Weber's investment.

Not sure what they'll want to put into it, with the pellet market taking over. I would love to see colors, and I'm a bit surprised that they haven't incorporated at least a hinge by now though.

Charlie

The history of the WSM has been...very little change.
  • 1981: 14.5" and 18.5" WSMs are introduced.
  • ~ 1983: 14.5" WSM is discontinued.
  • ~ 1983: Switch to aluminum legs and access door. (Steel legs and access door tended to rust.)
  • 2000: Switch from wooden lid handle to plastic lid handle.
  • 2009: 22.5" WSM is introduced with new features: lid thermometer, redesigned access door handle, and tabs that allow access door to hang open. These features were added to the 18.5" WSM at the same time.
  • 2014: 14.5" WSM is reintroduced with a new feature: silicone thermometer grommet. This feature was added to the 18.5" and 22.5" WSMs at the same time.
That's it!

I am with TimA in that I would not be surprised if Weber did something crazy like a limited edition colorful WSM, but I have no insight into if or when this will actually happen.

Given the tendency for smart cooking devices in the SmokeFire pellet grills and now in Genesis Smart gas grills, I can also imagine incorporating such a device into a rolling cart into which the WSM is placed. I don't know how big of a seller that would be, but probably not enough to make it worth Weber's investment.
Thank for that history. Maybe an upgrade is due by that timescale…

I'd like to see a better charcoal basket setup and water pan. Something more stable and solid with less chance of falling. It hasn't happened to me but I always have that fear.

In a way, I wish Weber would only make improvements for things we can't do for ourselves, like different colors or making larger versions. Pre-2009, owners asked for a thermometer in the lid, and Weber gave us one that people now say is of poor quality. Owners asked for a larger capacity water pan, and Weber repurposed a Smoke Joe charcoal bowl as a water pan that people now say is too deep, interfering with the charcoal and smoke wood in the ring.

Sometimes we're better off with what we already have.

In a way, I wish Weber would only make improvements for things we can't do for ourselves, like different colors or making larger versions. Pre-2009, owners asked for a thermometer in the lid, and Weber gave us one that people now say is of poor quality. Owners asked for a larger capacity water pan, and Weber repurposed a Smoke Joe charcoal bowl as a water pan that people now say is too deep, interfering with the charcoal and smoke wood in the ring.

Sometimes we're better off with what we already have.
Can't make everyone happy..... If they issue a special color, someone will complain about that too. (Why was it blue and not copper) etc...

LOL, we're currently on the Henry Ford model T color scheme for the WSM, any color you want as long as it's black!! 🤣

......... Owners asked for a larger capacity water pan, and Weber repurposed a Smoke Joe charcoal bowl as a water pan that people now say is too deep, interfering with the charcoal and smoke wood in the ring................
I've always substituted one of those terra cotta saucers that are normally placed underneath a potted plant. The saucer is wrapped in foil.

I'd like to see a better charcoal basket setup and water pan. Something more stable and solid with less chance of falling. It hasn't happened to me but I always have that fear.
If you're talking about the charcoal grate/basket being more stable, I replaced one set of the leg bolts all around, the ones that the charcoal grate sets on, with longer ss bolts. (1.25" I believe). Makes it much more stable, and allows me to shake the basket through the door, without it falling off of the previously shorter screws. Hope this helps.

Charlie

A hinge is what I’d love to see.
My thoughts on some of the upgrades we have seen others do on YT is that, as nice and helpful they are, Weber has to think in terms of liability. In regards to the hinge, which I installed, if you don't align the hinge over one of the legs. it can easily tip over. Also. with casters on the legs, if you decide to roll your WSM and it's got meat and hot coals and water in the pan, and you catch a seam in your concrete patio or a deck board, etc., you could burn yourself or others. Weber cannot control how you may use their cooker with those added features, and nice as they are. That's my 2 cents anyway.

If you're talking about the charcoal grate/basket being more stable, I replaced one set of the leg bolts all around, the ones that the charcoal grate sets on, with longer ss bolts. (1.25" I believe). Makes it much more stable, and allows me to shake the basket through the door, without it falling off of the previously shorter screws. Hope this helps.

Charlie
Charlie I'm talking more about the water pan being more stable. The small tabs don't offer much. I think they could improve the charcoal grate and ring design as well. Look at how many mods have been done. I actually have an idea of how to make the grate and ring 1 piece yet could come apart. Too bad I'm not smart enough or handy enough to make it come to life. Maybe I should get in touch with the likes of cajun bandit or sns or others??? It wouldn't be cheap but it would last a long time. The grate would be thick 304 ss rod with a cross hatch design and long handles. The ring would also be 304 ss and lock onto the grate at the bottom or by the long handles. Think of it as turn and lock and unlock. No more buying two grates ss zip ties eye bolts etc.

Charlie I'm talking more about the water pan being more stable. The small tabs don't offer much. I think they could improve the charcoal grate and ring design as well. Look at how many mods have been done. I actually have an idea of how to make the grate and ring 1 piece yet could come apart. Too bad I'm not smart enough or handy enough to make it come to life. Maybe I should get in touch with the likes of cajun bandit or sns or others??? It wouldn't be cheap but it would last a long time. The grate would be thick 304 ss rod with a cross hatch design and long handles. The ring would also be 304 ss and lock onto the grate at the bottom or by the long handles. Think of it as turn and lock and unlock. No more buying two grates ss zip ties eye bolts etc.
Gotcha. I've heard of some that have had that issue with the water pan, but mine is in pretty well on both my 18 and my 22. I run my pans dry though, so with the water weight, I really don't know how they would be really I guess. What I've seen done for those that are having problems with them, is to build out the hanging bars from the body with washers to bring the hanging tabs out some for a better hold.
Your charcoal ring idea sounds great, I hope that you can make some progress with it, good luck.

Charlie

My thoughts on some of the upgrades we have seen others do on YT is that, as nice and helpful they are, Weber has to think in terms of liability. In regards to the hinge, which I installed, if you don't align the hinge over one of the legs. it can easily tip over. Also. with casters on the legs, if you decide to roll your WSM and it's got meat and hot coals and water in the pan, and you catch a seam in your concrete patio or a deck board, etc., you could burn yourself or others. Weber cannot control how you may use their cooker with those added features, and nice as they are. That's my 2 cents anyway.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking.
There are still some improvements that could be made but not quite as simple or direct.

Last edited:
This is not at all relevant to the thread--so forgive me--but I cannot resist: my mouth is watering for a truly next generation pellet smoker.

Back