when is water boiling?

Greg Kemp

TVWBB Fan
I believe at 212 degrees but when checking a thermometer for accuracy when does the gradually churning water suddenly called boiling? When some bubbles start or what?

I need to test my probe thermometers.

thanks!

Greg

When steam rises off the surface and bubbles form at the sides and bottom of the pot you're just pre-simmer. When the bubbles form and break right away you're at a simmer, about 185. The bubbles will get larger and the activity stronger and faster as heat increases till you hit 212 (sea level). The water cannot get hotter, it can just boil harder and turn to steam faster--a rolling boil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Kemp:
I believe at 212 degrees but when checking a thermometer for accuracy when does the gradually churning water suddenly called boiling? When some bubbles start or what?

I need to test my probe thermometers.

thanks!

Greg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin's description of "rolling boil" is where you want to be. Keep a lid on the pot too (until you test the therm).

Think of boiling as a cooling process, all heat absorbed (after 100*C [at standard temp and pressure]) is released as steam.

If your thermo goes down to 32 f, then I would also test it in a glass of ice water. Just another way to check it.

Regarding testing in ice water - I received this from Thermoworks (ThermaPen) when I had a problem and they wanted me to test my thermometer.

The most fail-safe way to see if your ThermaPen is functioning
correctly is to test it in an ice bath. To do this, take an insulated
mug and fill it about 2/3 full of crushed ice. Then fill it with cold
(preferably refrigerated) water so that the water level does not rise
above the level of ice (you don’t want the ice to float at all). Give
it about a minute to equilibrate and then, while stirring the mixture
with the ThermaPen probe, take the reading. According to factory
specifications, it should read 32 °F, ± 2°.

Back