When air quality is bad…

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well, when it’s this bad and there are recommendations to not use charcoal grills(specifically not using that horrid starter fluid, like my neighbor)
I opted to play with the stove a bit.
IMG_0663.jpeg
Pan seared chicken thigh with a “muffuletta, summer squash, cream sauce”.
Didn’t suck!

We’ve had more than our share of smoke filled skies in Oregon.
It’s a great feeling when it clears and you can light some fuel.
I hope you get that chance soon!

Thanks guys, it was fairly high in my “success” file, a touch salty but, that’s not all bad.
I just pulled a pair of chuck roasts out for Saturday, been chatting with Brett a bit about something new to try. Will advise if it’s a success.

Thanks guys, it was fairly high in my “success” file, a touch salty but, that’s not all bad.
I just pulled a pair of chuck roasts out for Saturday, been chatting with Brett a bit about something new to try. Will advise if it’s a success.
Can you share info on that sauce? Looks amazing.

The cream sauce?
First, pan roast the thighs without moving them for ten- fifteen minutes until desired skin color has been reached, I should have given these a couple of more minutes. Remove to a grate on a sheet pan and shift that to the oven (350) while you finish the sauce.
Second, drain off excess chicken fat (I know but, hang on and you will see why I did that) I had some leftover garlic butter from the night before so…
Third, not too big a dollop of the garlic butter (Tbsp. +/-) let the foam subside
Add the zucchini or summer squash allow that to begin to brown as desired, maybe two tablespoons of muffuletta (drained as best possible) let that sizzle a bit and add the cream. Rasp a bit of nutmeg over the cream and incorporate.
Let the cream reduce do desired thickness, this could have been a little tighter.
adjust seasonings (S&P to taste)
plate as desired, I just saw it this way in my head. Could have used twice the squash but, I was out.

For an off the cuff cook that looks and sounds great. I get lucky once in a while doing cooks off the top of my head. My problem is I don't write it down, a little of this and a dash of that. Even if it comes out great most of the time, I can't replicate it again.

For an off the cuff cook that looks and sounds great. I get lucky once in a while doing cooks off the top of my head. My problem is I don't write it down, a little of this and a dash of that. Even if it comes out great most of the time, I can't replicate it again.
That’s half the fun!

Back