What's your turkey leftover plan?

Timothy, glad you like it and that you still had the recipe after 2years. Sometimes the old ones are the best.
Have a great Christmas Holiday.
Barb D

I didn’t take a picture of the stuffed ribs during the cook. Just snapped a quick one on the cutting board of the ribs. We thought the ribs were very moist and tender. Some of my best work.
1606774168760.jpeg

Leftovers?

All the breast meat is used to make sandwiches, and then the dark meat gets fed to the dogs and cats.

This year I smoked two turkeys before thanksgiving, every bit of smoked breast meat was eaten off of them.

We fried two on thanksgiving, plus the one in the oven. For a total of four small turkeys and one big one in a week.

Last edited:
Not sure on the leftovers yet other than a turkey pot pie, but definitely looking forward to the soups and stuff to come from the 8 quarts of turkey stock we put in the freezer. EB188C00-317E-4FCC-832F-F30CBE05DB58.jpeg

I made some soup with turkey, ham and wild rice based loosely on this recipe. I used turkey stock (**this should really be called turkey jelly.....apparently my turkey carcass to water ratio was a bit off!) made from the carcass of our holiday bird, added the ham, and used the veggies I had on hand. Turned out REALLY good.

IMG_7447.jpeg

I didn't cook a full turkey this year because it was just me, my wife, and daughters. I found some turkey breast tenderloins, rubbed them with olive oil, fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, salt, and pepper and cooked them on the kettle with the vortex. I cut up the leftovers in small pieces and put them in a storage container with my home made BBQ sauce. Made great open faced turkey BBQ sandwiches for lunch.

As for the traditional leftover dinners following Thanksgiving, I walked into the dining room Friday night after one daughter had made a plate, and she had the mashed potatoes, stuffing, and corn pudding on there...nothing else. :oops:

Browned up the carcass in the oven and made my bone stock in the instant pot. Made my turkey noodle soup also in the instant pot with the LO turkey and broth. Came out fantastic!

. I used turkey stock (**this should really be called turkey jelly.....apparently my turkey carcass to water ratio was a bit off!)
Mine came out the same way after sitting in the fridge overnight. I called it turkey jello cause I believe there was a lot of gelatin in that carcass.
I didn't brown mine just hacked up with a cleaver and into the instant pot.
Maybe the browning cooks out the gelatin?

I believe you want the jello effect.
All my stock turns jelly like, I think that means you got all the good stuff in there.
I read somewhere a long time ago some thing like that anyways.

Last edited:
Yep, bone jelly doesn't bother me. It just means that everything you extracted from the bones is more concentrated in less liquid. I like it that way as I can always thin it with water if needed, but there's more flavor available in the concentrated stock without having to cook it down. I couldn't fit my carcass in the IP, so did it on the stove top the old fashioned way (I mean, what else would I do, leave the house?!?!) :)

R

Turkey gumbo, using the carcass to make stock, is popular in Louisiana.

This year my wife went a different direction and made turkey and dumplings with a Paula Deen recipe. It turned out pretty good.

Made one more Thanksgiving Quesadilla with the final remnants last night. Some turkey, stuffing and green beans with a few small dollops of gravy. Also added some jarred/sliced jalapeño to spice things up a bit. Turned out great. Pic is before the cheese and 'lid' were applied.

D0CC78A8-739A-4013-82CF-F565241B90D2.jpeg

Back