What's your favorite smoke wood?

Rene Roy

TVWBB Fan
What's your favorite smoke wood?....or do you use a combination?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If i could only choose 2 then it would be Pecan for everything but poultry. Cherry for the feathered friends.
icon_biggrin.gif

hickory. I use it for everything. Mostly, I love it because I can get it everywhere.

If I could get cherry, I would like to try that out on poultry. But hickory is a good, readily accessible wood for all bbq.

Originally posted by adamclyde:
hickory. I use it for everything. Mostly, I love it because I can get it everywhere.

If I could get cherry, I would like to try that out on poultry. But hickory is a good, readily accessible wood for all bbq.
Shipping would be minimal to you. Excellent quality on their smoke wood. Very happy with the cherry and pecan i just received from them.
icon_smile.gif
Peoples Wood/Natures Own

thanks bryan. I know, I know... I need to splurge. It's just hard to break free when I get 20 pounds of hickory for $4.

Question for you on cherry. Aside from flavor, does it really give poultry a nice rosy-red color? I read that recently. That would be pretty cool looking, but seems hard to fathom.

Question for you on cherry. Aside from flavor, does it really give poultry a nice rosy-red color? I read that recently. That would be pretty cool looking, but seems hard to fathom.
Yes it does impart a beautiful red color.
2.jpg

Bryan, did you color that photo up?
icon_wink.gif
That is one stunning bird!

I favor hickory but usually cut it with something else.

Yep, Adam. Cherry + chicken = rosy red color. Cherry rules on poultry. I usually add a little hickory.....just because I can.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Bryan, did you color that photo up?
icon_wink.gif
That is one stunning bird!
Rita
LOL! Na Rita, That's straight off of the Canon Power Shot S50 onto the hard drive. I used 3 med pieces of Cherry and a pack of Orange pellets for that bird. It was brined in Keri's apple honey brine along with some parts of Chris A's brine. It was a big hit.
icon_smile.gif

not to continue hijacking this thread.... but I will.

Bryan - great looking bird, sir. So, presumably, would cherry pellets would do the same thing for color as cherry chunks, right?

not to continue hijacking this thread.... but I will.
So, presumably, would cherry pellets would do the same thing for color as cherry chunks, right?
Thread jacking is permitted.
icon_biggrin.gif
Yes i have used the cherry pellets with the same results.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan,
I just did a map search I am about 1hr. and 15 minutes away from Natures Own...also called them..they told me to call ahead to make sure they have what I need and they will put it aside for me...She also told me to bring a cooler cause they also sold meat their...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Adamclyde..where you getting 20lbs. of hickory for $4...
icon_eek.gif

home depot, of all places. beginning of the summer, they had 20-pound bags of hickory (also had mesquite) for $4.99, I think. Snatched it up right away. Not sure if that was their sale price or if was a beginning of the season sale.

Wish I were closer to the eastern part of the state. I'd head over to Nature's own as well...

- Adam

Originally posted by Rene R.:
Bryan,
I just did a map search I am about 1hr. and 15 minutes away from Natures Own...also called them..they told me to call ahead to make sure they have what I need and they will put it aside for me...She also told me to bring a cooler cause they also sold meat their...
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_cool.gif
If you go there pick up some of their lump. It's some really good stuff.
icon_wink.gif

Right now if I only could choose 2, Hickory/cherry.
I tried the pellets of Pecan and loved it. I am going to order some Pecan from the link Bryan provided, and I'll bet it bumps the hickory out of the # 2 spot.
I use Mesquite and Apple also and like it.

You folks are really helping me here. I have not used cherry but will ASAP. I usually use hickory, pecan, mesquite, or apple. I have more pecan than other woods right now. BTW, apple is my favorite.

However, while I do not have any cherry chunks, your posts have gotten to me so I plan to take some cherry boards that I have been saving for woodworking and I will make me some cherry chunks and try it on poultry soon (and that is an expensive way to buy cherry).

Thanks again,

Ray

Since I started using pecan as my more-or-less main wood for pork-- it's good for pastrami, too-- I don't think I'll likely buy any hickory again.

I like oak for brisket, and also mixing apple with the pecan for pork. Peach is good with pork or poultry. Tried maple on a turkey once-- it was interesting, but not enough to bear repeating.

Back