What's your favorite coffee maker?

I go three ways. I use the french press mostly. It's quick, easy, and makes a cup of coffee that's very repeatable.

However, I do have a couple "gadget" type makers that I equally love. I have one of the Keurig's (can't remember which model), which an outstanding single cup coffee machine that uses pods. I also have an insert that lets me use any ground coffee or tea of my choosing, and it works brilliantly.

I also have a Citi, which is an espresso machine by Nespresso. It uses capsules. While not as elaborate as a bona fide espresso machine, it makes 1 or 2 shots with a respectable layer of crema on each shot. Paired with a milk steamer, I feel I get as good a latte or cap as I do in Starbucks, for a lot less loot.

Originally posted by Ron G.:
At Work - we recently got a big Keurig:

The clean-up is a snap, so you really do not need to worry about the slobs who do not know how to clean-up after themselves.

If you're the only coffee drinker in the house, one of these may fit the bill.

You cannot directly adjust the strength of the brew. However, I have noticed very CONSISTENT results. It seems that there are a few tricks to getting a cup that suits your taste - here are my thoughts:

-Try a big variety of coffees. Some you will like / some, not so much.
-Once you find the ones you like, play with the brewed size. If it's too strong in an 8-oz selection, try the same in 10-oz and vise-versa.
-None of them really seem to make a nice, big, travel-mug size in a single shot. So, if that's what you're after, probably not such a great idea

Excellent post. As for the varieties of coffees, I really strongly suggest people get the insert/basket for the Keurig that allows you to use your own coffee and teas. Then you can drink all your favorites instead of being restricted to the flavors they put in the capsules/pods.
icon_smile.gif
Just make sure you have it ground coarsely, french press, for instance. Loose leaf tea is awesome, I have to say. Nothing like starting the day with a nice aromatic cup of Darjeeling or Earl Grey.

We got the Cuisinart grind-and-brew as a wedding gift two years ago and love it. One thing that is vital, as stated before, is maintenance.

A trick we learned from a friend that runs a coffee shop is to pre-heat any carafe like an old fashion teapot before brewing. This would not be feasible if you use the timer, but it makes a world of difference if you do it. I often have a cup in the afternoon that is just as hot as it was at 7am when my wife brewed it. Hot water from the tap is enough to make a difference.

Originally posted by Alan Dively:
For all you french pressers out there, how are you grinding your beans? I just got a french press to make iced coffee for the summer and have been using my Braun blade grinder with limited success. I always up with the fines making a sludge in the bottom of the cup. Looks like I need to get a Burr mill but want to know if anyone uses anything different before dropping the $.

Blades are BAD! Use a TRUE BURR grinder. Baratza makes some of the best for the money and they sell Refurbs... I have a Barista refurb....it has 40 settings. Grind coarse for press, medium for drip - I have a Bunn Phase Brew...perfect pot. Gets temp 200 degrees and has a 4 minute brew "Phase"... This is after the water gets 200. IMO - better than my press!

Thanks

I got very lucky a few years back. A long time ago, before everybody owned one espresso/cappuccino machine or other, one was bought, but no one could use it. Eventually a memo went out asking if anyone wantd it. I grabbed it. So I now have a Rancilio, the Miss Rancilio model. It is hard plumbed to our water, has a very serious bulit-in grinder, and is great. I could never afford to replace it.

Originally posted by Randy Owens:
You gotta have a burr grinder with a press. Baratza sells refurb Barista's for under $100 (they made them for Starbucks)

Just got one of these this week based on your rec- thanks. It was $83 including shipping. Got an insulated 32oz press @ Amazon for ~$29.

No sludge.

Have yet to try the espresso grind, maybe monday.

Originally posted by Clint:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Owens:
You gotta have a burr grinder with a press. Baratza sells refurb Barista's for under $100 (they made them for Starbucks)

Just got one of these this week based on your rec- thanks. It was $83 including shipping. Got an insulated 32oz press @ Amazon for ~$29.

No sludge.

Have yet to try the espresso grind, maybe monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! you will not be disappointed. Baratza has super customer service as well... If you want to try a great drip maker, Bunn Phase Brew. BTW, run some minute rice thru the grinder periodically to clean the burrs.

unbelievable how fine this grinder goes. The finest setting was too much for my cheapo DeLonghi espresso (pump).... and the coarsest isn't much different than my old (non-conical) burr grinder's medium. The finest setting ground my beans so fine they were moldable like damp clay/sand. My espresso machine usually takes 35 seconds to pump out a shot, it was still going @ 5 minutes. I added that shot to a half cup of press for a nice blended iced coffee.

I'll play.
icon_smile.gif

At home, just me drinking, I use this:

aero80r01.jpg

At home, someone else wants a cup, I use this:

BodumChambordCoffeePress2.jpg

At mom's house, I use this:

15681coffee-manualdrip.jpg

I can make a great cup of coffee using each of these as long as I have good beans, watch my water temp, and pay attention while I'm grinding to get the right grind for the application. Oh, and I also roast my own beans with an I-Roast 2 (looking at upgrading to a Behmor.)

Rich

Originally posted by Randy Owens:
I got a Bunn Phase Brew and LOVE it! Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $99 - 20%. just saw it on Amazon for $75!

+1

My FIL works on Bunn equipment and swears by them as do many restaurants. The Phase Brew makes a great cup of coffee that I've found superior to the plastic brewers that have to be replaced every other year. I love being able to program it and wake up to the smell of fresh coffee as well. You can make as little as four cups (5 or 6 oz.) and that's just a little more than what fits in my to-go cup.

I highly recommend it!

Wow, four pages of responses!

I didn't read thru them but, did you read this thread?

Personally, I used the Melita method. I bought this filter device from Amazon. It has a small hollow cylinder jutting out from the bottom of the cone (not shown in in the picture) through which coffee drains (like a typical funnel). And when you insert this cylinder into the narrow neck of a carafe or thermos it is absolutely rock solid.

Downsides: it's manual and you have to stand there and pour water through it. You also have to boil water but I use a hot water maker and just go brush my teeth while it cooks the water.

Upside: I grind the beans just before use so the grounds are as fresh as possible. The coffee is excellent.

we use the Keurig purchased at Costco last Christmas for my wife, it was a very good deal. We absolutely love it,the coffee is a little high (but the commodity itself is through the roof) but for ease of use my goodness it is terrific.

Originally posted by Don Cash:
It may get some flack from the coffee purists but we have a Keurig and absolutely love it.

The first kitchen appliance that I replaced after losing everything to a house fire was my Keurig! Single cup convenience and everyone can have a different strength and flavor.

Bodum French Press. Takes up a lot less space than an electric drip coffee maker, just as easy to clean up and makes a great cup of coffee.

You can't beat the Bun A10 or a french press.

I love our A10 best investment I ever made. The coffee just tastes so much better and is brewed so quickly.

We've had good luck with coffee makers. Current one is the favorite though, a Bunn. Others were Black and Decker and Mr. Coffee.

After years of replacing coffee makers, we finally broke down, and bought a commercial Bunn. Yes, we paid quite a bit for it, but never sorry. We never had a coffee pot last more than a year, and this Bunn is going on 3 years. So now we can drink more coffee, and do stupid things faster with more energy
icon_biggrin.gif

Ok,after professing my love of the cheap Black and Deckers,then the Mr. Coffee,sweet Pammi Sue bought me a Keurig. Love it,love it,love it! We bought the little basket insert so we can use whatever coffee we have in the house,but the little K-cups are very convenient. I have found that when using the basket,it's better to use a better/stronger blend than I was using for the drip maker I had.

Have any Keurig fans had any problems? I am frequently at Bed, Bath and Beyond for one reason or another and many times have witnessed other customers returning their Keurigs for either a replacement or a different brand. I've not overheard the problem(s) experienced, but have seen this at least half a dozen times. All were relatively new.

Anyone?

Back