What's your favorite coffee maker?

I've had one of these for nearly 5 years, not a problem yet.

It's a little different. I also got a burr grinder.

I have a DeLonghi that also has espresso/cap maker with it. Flawless.

though i had old westinghouse percolator not to long ago? it was amazing..

The last coffee maker that we had, which I really LIKED was an older Capresso. This unit would grind whole beans and start-up according to a timer. It cost around $200, but lasted for almost 6 years, with a cleaning about twice per year, and made what I think is a really good pot of coffee.

The unit has a hopper that you fill with whole beans (holds about 3 days worth). It has an easy-to-program timer. When it starts-up:
-A burr grinder grinds the amount of coffee needed, according to the amount and strength that you set, into the standard cone-filter
-Next, the filter "swings" into the coffee maker & fires-up.
Freshly-ground and brewed coffee waiting for you, in the morning, without having to get out of bed!
Their newer models have a thermal carafe - which is supposed to be better than keeping your coffee on the heat.

The only drawbacks to the Capresso unit are:

-Not a lot of retailers carry them - but I found that their internet and phone customer support were quite good.

-Because it has essentially a tall burr grinder "siamesed" to a coffee maker, it takes-up a fair amount of counter-space.

Recently we had a Cuizinart Grind-N-Brew - What a piece of C-R-A-P! This unit also has a built-in burr grinder, but uses a rotating disc to move the "chute" into the compact basket for grinding vs brewing - this mechanical mechanism is highly un-reliable. When the second unit started acting-up, we chucked it after less than 6 months use (we did one warranty replacement before the second unit - money down the drain).

A few years back, we also had a different Cuizintrash unit that did not have a burr grinder - it "whacked" the beans until they fell through a grate, into the filter. This unit could "Wake the dead" when it fired-up in the morning (another poor design). We got our money back and got the Capresso.

The "basic" Krups, Braun, or Mr. Coffee with a timer - where you can load it up the night before, has also been decent in the past. But we're getting a new Capresso soon. For fresh-brewed coffee in the morning, they're hard to beat!

(We exchanged one under warranty, when it

I am a bit of a coffee nerd, and have a strong preference for espresso. Specifically, triple ristretto with a small amount of microfoam on top, sort of like a machiatto. For this I have a La Spaziale S1 V2. Mine has the red chassis skin, very racy. I had to teach myself about plumbing to install this one.

I like French Press coffee quite a bit, and have a couple of different sizes of Bodum Columbia presses. I like them because they're stainless and basically unbreakable, easy to clean, and the works come apart to go in the dishwasher.

If we have company that can't really tolerate far-out coffee drinks I have a Technivorm drip maker. This brewer has a sort of eastern bloc look to it, clunky and functional. It's forte is proper brew temperature.

IMO the grind is the the most important thing. I use a La Cimbali Max Hybrid grinder. It is awesome, and has a short hopper designed to fit under cabinets.

I also roast coffee ( another one of my serial hobbies ) but I moved away from brewing single origin roasts to brewing mostly espresso blends and rarely roast any more, mostly "gift coffee" now and then.

And then I met BBQ....

Hmmm...interesting thread !

The Wife and I drink a lot of coffee, so that single-cup stuff is not for us...we like a pot in the morning
icon_smile.gif

We aren't coffee nerds, but we have Family Members who are in to roasting their own beans, etc etc, so we get "freebies". We use what we have on hand, be it a home-roasted "Guatemalan" or "Dunkin' Doughnuts Dark Roast"
icon_biggrin.gif

While we have an espresso maker we bought in Italy, and a french press to impress our easily-impressed house guests, our "go-to" daily pot is a Braun...haven't seen that one mentioned yet.

We had one before, and it made good coffee and lasted much longer than the typical throw-away pots you can buy...the coffee seems to stay hotter than the others, and we LOVE the cushy handle on the carafe.

I found a match to what I think we currently own, on Amazon, here . I about puked when I saw a $200 price tag, though...I think we paid ~$45 on clearance, a couple of years ago
icon_eek.gif
Guess they don't make this model anymore...

BTW...you can pick up the Brita water filters at Kohl's for a fairly decent price, or on-line for even cheaper.

Dean...

I see water filtration mentioned and thought I'd put my oar in on *that*...

You might not know that over-filtered water makes for inferior coffee. Filtration and softening help to improve the flavor and odor of your water, and to reduce scale in your equipment, but it is possible to filter too much.

The reason not to remove all mineral content is similar to the reason not to reuse previously boiled water - it can create dull, flat-tasting coffee ( or tea ).

YMMV, and IANAC ( I am not a chemist ).

Originally posted by John Mc.:
I see water filtration mentioned and thought I'd put my oar in on *that*...

You might not know that over-filtered water makes for inferior coffee. Filtration and softening help to improve the flavor and odor of your water, and to reduce scale in your equipment, but it is possible to filter too much.

The reason not to remove all mineral content is similar to the reason not to reuse previously boiled water - it can create dull, flat-tasting coffee ( or tea ).

YMMV, and IANAC ( I am not a chemist ).

John,

Yeah, it's probably a marketing gimmick to sell filters
icon_smile.gif
My taste buds aren't sophisticated enough to tell the difference ! In Braun's defense, the pot comes with a "plug" to eliminate the filter, if you choose not to use it...

Reminds me of a story...I have a local private water company supplier to my house here in northwest Florida (not City or County). Last summer, I had a well put in to water the yard, etc. It's not a shallow well, but ~220' deep (well, that's pretty deep by Florida standards !). The Guy that drilled it said : "You drink out of this faucet, and you'll never go back to their water again !"
icon_smile.gif
Of course, he also said : "If you hook the well into your home system, you'll need something to take the high iron out..."
icon_biggrin.gif

You have a point about filtering !

Dean...

Hi Dean,

Just to be clear, I have a carbon filter cartridge inline with a softener cartridge supplying the water for my espresso maker.

There's still plenty of mineral content in it. Around here tap water will scale up a coffee maker fairly quickly with lime, and I hope to keep my boilers scale-free as long as possible.

I don't know how the flavor-mineral thing works really, I imagine little flavor molecules latching on to little mineral molecules and creating vibrant flavor. Or something
icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with the Aeropress, pretty good coffee - Cleanup is a breeze - especially compared to french press.

Another vote for Keurig. Been using for years and the variety and always fresh coffee are great selling points.

Ron

I just recently returned to my old French Press after my wedding gift crapped out. I have to say it makes a great coffee. I like mine black, no creamer or sugar and you have to make sure you grind your beans "coarse".

I also noticed it seems to pack a lil more punch (or just in my mind) because I get pretty wired off @ 18 oz of the stuff.

Great coffee maker that will never really poop out on you unless you break the glass caraffe.

From the little research I've done, the experts say the french press makes the best cup o' joe. This is supported when you see shows on TV that show how coffee is selected by the slurping coffee purchasers...always french press.

Slurp.
Spit.
Repeat.

R

funny this question coming up now - we just bought a new pot. we drink fair amount of coffee (decaf now
icon_frown.gif
) and decided we needed a carafe maker so that coffee didn't get nasty as it sat.

read the usual sites and ended up with a Zojirushi Fresh Brew Thermal 10-Cup Carafe Coffeemaker. The flavor was really good BUT it didn't keep the coffee hot! in fact right after brewing it wasn't really hot. Can't have that. So i looked around and decided to buy a Mr. Coffer Thermal Coffee Maker - i think it's called the Optimal Brew. i was a bit dubious because i've never been a fan of Mr. Coffee brand. I don't like the flat bottom filters. I gotta say it's pretty good. Yes, you have to use an extra scoop or two of coffee (we like it pretty strong) but the coffee tastes good and it stays hot for hours. it really does!

I would say go try one from Target - if you don't like it you can always return it. But that's my two cents. good luck!

mike

oh - forgot to add...the Optimal Brew comes with a little filter that's supposed to last for a month or so. We chucked it because we already use RO water system at home.

mike

If you want some espresso from time to time, there is no need to buy a fancy machine. The traditional espresse coofee can, used on a hot plate is almost unbeatable, but not practical in coffe- shops. But at home. Mmm.
icon_smile.gif

Use a Mr. Coffee as we drink a pot in the morning. We have a local farmer's market that carries a wide variety of beans so it's nice to try the different ones.

I would like to have a french press for the better beans we find and use on the weekend.

Burr grinder is essential in my opinion. It made a huge difference in going from a Hamilton Mill blade grinder to the Kitchinaid adjustable burr grinder.

Old thread by now but....
Technicorm at my old work ( tempted to take it with me when I went ) nobody appreciated it but it made certain meetings tolerable.
Aeropress **** handy, I have one at home and one at work, thought the newer clear one seems to have developed some crazing that makes me worry about the plastic. Melitta no 2 plastic funnel good for one shots. Also love my Alessi espresso stove top pot (ss & pricey but v good and looks nice too) - it was a leaving gift many years ago. No good for induction though - must get a disc.
Aeropress well worth it, French press for a group.

Back