What's your favorite backyard cooked Taco?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
You guys know how much of a taco/Mexican food nut I am!!! Mexican inspired food is one of my favorite reason to fire up a load of charcoal in the kettle or WSM. I think there is hardly a week that passes where at least one Mexican/taco dish is not prepared on a Weber in my house. I have been thinking about the question in the title of this post for awhile now and after another amazing Mexican inspired dish last night, I was motivated to finally ask the question here, so what is your favorite protein and bbq preparation method to make a taco or Mexican dish? Over the last year my search for the perfect back yard Taco/Quesadilla/Enchilada/Burrito has lead me down many road including the road of low and slow pork shoulders to make amazing Carnitas and Chili Verde.
IMG_20210627_142504738_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210717_155046994.jpg

IMG_20220206_170511608.jpg

It also lead me to my only attempt at making al Pastor last summer with my rotisserie.
IMG_20210822_155600806.jpg

Most recently I have used the rotisserie to make whole chickens to shred and add a tinga sauce to it and turn that into Enchiladas.
IMG_20220320_150905937_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220306_172428788.jpg
IMG_20220306_174031144.jpg

I have also fell in love with hot and fast skin on chicken thighs, that crispy skin on a street style taco, there are very few things as good in this world.
IMG_20210619_170520355~2.jpg
IMG_20220212_180121827.jpg
IMG_20220212_180702766.jpg

The hot and fast chicken thighs lead me to playing with multiple different cuts of Steak to make carne asada (I think flat iron is my favorite).
IMG_20211213_180725507.jpg
IMG_20211213_181610837.jpg

With all those amazing proteins and cooks, if I had to pick a favorite, no matter how many times I try to talk myself out of it it comes down to one of the two chicken dishes, either the grilled chicken thighs with that crispy skin or the pulled and shredded chicken made into Enchiladas with homemade salsa Verde and cheese sauce.

So what is you favorite, I would love to know! And what proteins/dishes/prep methods do I need to try myself?

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_173651178_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210725_173651178_HDR.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210619_172834719.jpg
    IMG_20210619_172834719.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 8
Pollo asado, carne asada, grilled shrimp and then rockfish or red snapper fish tacos.

We eat Mexican food at least 2x a week here.

And occasionally some fajitas mixed grill.

And chicken tortilla soup when it’s cold, really cold outside.

My favorite is your carnitas, I just haven’t had it yet. It is a must try for me this summer.

Have to say the Wagyu skirt steak tacos I have done twice were so far above and beyond anything I have ever had, amazing.
I’m a huge taco fan and they are easily my favorite food.
The first 3 posters in this thread are all star taco makers and you guys inspire me to do more with my cooks.

Last edited:
I really love fish Taco's , I like the farm raised catfish but haven't been lucky enuff to find any in over a year or more, Your cooks look great, it's hard to source stuff here on short notice , we get in a rut and just grab what we can here lately .

I didn't see any shrimp or fish in your photo essay above......not a fan favorite at your place?? :)

R
Shrimp and fish are the two that keep coming to my mind, I just don't have much of a clue how to use those proteins in a taco. I think I would like to try shrimp next. I have never eaten or made a seafood based taco so I am open to being taught. I LOVE fish and shrimp, but I am not a fan on any mayo based sauces. So many of the seafood based tacos I have seen a major part of the dish is either the slaw or the mayo based dressing or both.

So with no knowledge of what these dish should taste like I can not attempt to recreate it, and not sure where to start.

Any advice on the flavor profile, starting point recipes, what should go in the taco with the proteins, I am open!

Shrimp and fish are the two that keep coming to my mind, I just don't have much of a clue how to use those proteins in a taco. I think I would like to try shrimp next. I have never eaten or made a seafood based taco so I am open to being taught. I LOVE fish and shrimp, but I am not a fan on any mayo based sauces. So many of the seafood based tacos I have seen a major part of the dish is either the slaw or the mayo based dressing or both.

So with no knowledge of what these dish should taste like I can not attempt to recreate it, and not sure where to start.

Any advice on the flavor profile, starting point recipes, what should go in the taco with the proteins, I am open!
I’m assuming you don’t have Rubio’s fish tacos by you? They have a Veracruz white sauce that is to die for. And you can add chipotle sauce to change its direction. Basically it’s a 1 to 1 ratio of non fat yogurt with mayo, some lime juice to thin it and a very small dash of sugar. It’s heaven. And add chipotle adobo sauce and now it’s next level. Doesn’t taste mayonnaisey at all. Very clean finish on your tongue from the lime acid.

Use the Carne Asada marinade from the post I linked above on some shrimp (4 hours maybe.) Grill em up hot/fast, and get them on tortillas with whatever you like. As far as sauce goes, if you want red, any favorite taco sauce will do. If you want something to tame a bit of heat, you can mash some avocado, mix in sour cream to taste, lime juice, salt, pepper, and you've got an avocado crema (which would be even better if you used Mexican crema instead of sour cream.....no mayo needed.)

For fish, you want a flaky white fish (any rockfish would work....not sure what you can get where you are.) I usually just go with salt, pepper, maybe a dash of cumin and chile powder. Again, hot/fast on the grill, chunk it up, and similar treatment on the tortilla as above.

Both are super fast proteins on the grill, delicious, and somewhat more healthy than carnitas. :)

R

I don't know that I could pick a favorite. But if I did, it would be one of those pics you posted above.

I really love fish Taco's , I like the farm raised catfish but haven't been lucky enuff to find any in over a year or more, Your cooks look great, it's hard to source stuff here on short notice , we get in a rut and just grab what we can here lately .
How do you season your catfish?

Darn those pictures are making me hungry Michael.
I want me some of that.

We used to go to Ensenada a lot.
I’ve always been partial to the street tacos there so I’m going with that.
If I had to chose it would be fish tacos and I like mine somewhat simple.
We do them backyard style all the time.
Tech tip….sturgeon or halibut work great in tacos :).

This last few years it seems every restaurant has a plate called street tacos.
Heck they are selling street tacos at the Canadian border in the Baja Cantina and the street taco spices in the grocery stores In Port Angeles.
What have they done to my favorite street tacos?
They sure aren’t selling the ones I’m used to.

Michael, those are off the charts.

Tbh, I'm still a sucker for old school, ground beef tacos in hard shells with some cheese and salsa. Those might actually be my favorites. Odd, I know...
Grew up with Lawry's taco seasonings, cooked with ground beef, eaten in Ortega shells, Tim. Still make 'em about 3 times a month, though more often with ground turkey these days.

R

Darn those pictures are making me hungry Michael.
I want me some of that.

We used to go to Ensenada a lot.
I’ve always been partial to the street tacos there so I’m going with that.
If I had to chose it would be fish tacos and I like mine somewhat simple.
We do them backyard style all the time.
Tech tip….sturgeon or halibut work great in tacos :).

This last few years it seems every restaurant has a plate called street tacos.
Heck they are selling street tacos at the Canadian border in the Baja Cantina and the street taco spices in the grocery stores In Port Angeles.
What have they done to my favorite street tacos?
They sure aren’t selling the ones I’m used to.
IMO, the best street tacos are food truck tacos. and some birria tacos too, please.

i have used cod for fish tacos, grilled, pan seared or oven baked and they always taste good. price is pretty reasonable too. and you can always make some authentic fish-n-chip with a nice piece of cod too.

You guys know how much of a taco/Mexican food nut I am!!! Mexican inspired food is one of my favorite reason to fire up a load of charcoal in the kettle or WSM. I think there is hardly a week that passes where at least one Mexican/taco dish is not prepared on a Weber in my house. I have been thinking about the question in the title of this post for awhile now and after another amazing Mexican inspired dish last night, I was motivated to finally ask the question here, so what is your favorite protein and bbq preparation method to make a taco or Mexican dish? Over the last year my search for the perfect back yard Taco/Quesadilla/Enchilada/Burrito has lead me down many road including the road of low and slow pork shoulders to make amazing Carnitas and Chili Verde.
View attachment 47597
View attachment 47585

View attachment 47586

It also lead me to my only attempt at making al Pastor last summer with my rotisserie.
View attachment 47589

Most recently I have used the rotisserie to make whole chickens to shred and add a tinga sauce to it and turn that into Enchiladas.
View attachment 47592
View attachment 47593
View attachment 47594

I have also fell in love with hot and fast skin on chicken thighs, that crispy skin on a street style taco, there are very few things as good in this world.
View attachment 47596
View attachment 47599
View attachment 47600

The hot and fast chicken thighs lead me to playing with multiple different cuts of Steak to make carne asada (I think flat iron is my favorite).
View attachment 47601
View attachment 47602

With all those amazing proteins and cooks, if I had to pick a favorite, no matter how many times I try to talk myself out of it it comes down to one of the two chicken dishes, either the grilled chicken thighs with that crispy skin or the pulled and shredded chicken made into Enchiladas with homemade salsa Verde and cheese sauce.

So what is you favorite, I would love to know! And what proteins/dishes/prep methods do I need to try myself?
If you ever get to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta is where we found this place) they have the most amazing roto chicken. That chicken makes awesome tacos and quite frankly is a recipe I need to reverse engineer to recreate.

Our favorite taco meat is a smoked, pulled pork. I always keep little 1/2 lb frozen packs of it for a quick dinner. We fry up fresh tortillas, add cheddar, lettuce, tomato, salsa.

On our list is also my smoked salmon tacos. I make a medley of fried corn, diced chilis, diced mango to top the salmon, then a chunky tomato salsa.20200126_204647.jpg

We'll also do tri-tip tacos.20220219_200724.jpg

Last edited:
We like lemon pepper when we grill the catfish, then Lettice tomatoes ect, really like the green/lime pepper hot sauces to top them with. only in the low 50's today but now I am getting the yearning for fish taco's lol

I got shrimp for tacos this Friday, then I want to do fish, and I have to do a whole tri-tip into tacos soon! Friday is going to be a crazy day so I think I am going to cook inside in the CI skillet, but I will still try to get a pic.

Back