Carne Asada (Flank)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I already had this cook planned out when @Terry - bbqking posted his Carne Asada, and last night was the night (45th meeting of Steak Club.) I used another recipe from SeriousEats.com, and this one is a keeper for me - RECIPE. As I typically do when I'm hosting Steak Club during the week, I dropped the marinated flank steaks into a sous vide bath in the morning after removing the excess marinade. I had the sous vide going at 129F for about 9 hours, then seared the steaks on my ripping hot Skyline for a minute on either side. Sliced thinly, and served on homemade flour tortillas with a variety of condiments. This turned out to be a really great meal, with some recipes that will go on the permanent "do" list....... In addition to the asada recipe, I found my new favorite black bean recipe at SeriousEats.com as well. If you have an Instant Pot, these are REALLY good.... BLACK BEANS (note, I only use the juice of the oranges rather than tossing the halves in the pot. I read a lot of comments that learning the halves in the pot lead to bitterness.)

Flanks all sealed up and ready for a long spa treatment.....

1629473886761.jpeg

Got some chorizo stuffed mushrooms ready to go......

1629473912947.jpeg

Prepped a double batch of tortillas......

1629473936443.jpeg

The last remaining mushroom (30 minutes @ 300F)......

1629473965621.jpeg

Steak resting post sear......

1629473986031.jpeg

Sliced.....

1629474003434.jpeg

And some really messy looking, but absolutely delicious tacos.....

1629474030250.jpeg

Looks amazing!! How did the 24 habenero death salsa work out?
I ended up roasting 6 romas on the Skyline, skinned/deseeded, rough blend with the stick blender, lime juice/salt/pepper and 3 heaping tbsp of the death salsa. Ended up with a very nice roasted tomato salsa that was spicy, but balanced and fruity. The rest of the death salsa went home with one of my buddies who really liked it. :)

R

recipe worth sharing? that FLANK does look real good. and your improvised salsa venture was fun to read.
Ha, yeah, it WAS an adventure and ended well. :) YES! The tortilla recipe is MORE than worth sharing. I've tried dozens over the years, and have finally hit my go-to with this one..... It's based off of THIS RECIPE, but for the flour, I've settled on a 50/50 blend of AP and 00 Caputo pizzeria flour. I also use beef tallow (which I render from brisket trimmings.) These two specifics seem to be the sweet spot for me...... I just added my modified recipe into the Side Dishes forum HERE. Give them a try, and I'd love to know what you think!

Rich

Ha, yeah, it WAS an adventure and ended well. :) YES! The tortilla recipe is MORE than worth sharing. I've tried dozens over the years, and have finally hit my go-to with this one..... It's based off of THIS RECIPE, but for the flour, I've settled on a 50/50 blend of AP and 00 Caputo pizzeria flour. I also use beef tallow (which I render from brisket trimmings.) These two specifics seem to be the sweet spot for me...... I just added my modified recipe into the Side Dishes forum HERE. Give them a try, and I'd love to know what you think!

Rich
are you subbing 00 to get more protein in the flour? if so, what would your thoughts be on adding one egg white to all AP to get that body/protein structure? and of course i have brisket fat to render, along with chicken fat too. we've become a zero-waste family (for the most part). we try to get every trimming/cutoff into something, just for fun to see if we could get to zero-waste a few years back.

thanks for this share. i will def give these a run and feedback my success, or failure :cool:

are you subbing 00 to get more protein in the flour? if so, what would your thoughts be on adding one egg white to all AP to get that body/protein structure? and of course i have brisket fat to render, along with chicken fat too. we've become a zero-waste family (for the most part). we try to get every trimming/cutoff into something, just for fun to see if we could get to zero-waste a few years back.

thanks for this share. i will def give these a run and feedback my success, or failure :cool:
Brett, it was more about the texture of the flour. The pizzeria flour tends to be a much finer grind than AP, so I like the way it mixes up into a supple dough. Also, I was actually going for less protein so that I could have a more relaxed dough that wouldn't spring back after rolling or pressing.

The tallow, in my opinion, is necessary. It gives a rich, background flavor that just hits all the notes for me!

R

The tallow, in my opinion, is necessary. It gives a rich, background flavor that just hits all the notes for me!
makes perfect sense. the best tortillas i've had were made with lard. thank you for the details. gives me an idea of what i'm looking for on mixing the dough.

Back