What's the best method to sharpen knives

Cool. Now I know where to do my homework.

There's got to be something better than my old ceramic/steel(?) sharpening rods. I've only sharpened pocket knives on stones. Lansky-type knock-off controlled angle kit fell apart, and my Accu-sharp apparently only works on broad heads and outdoor knives.

Last edited:
Alan Dively: I havent sharpen my VG10 knifes yet.(only honing em with 1000grit) But i cant se any problem doing it. VG10 is a great steel. If you go under that it will be a pain to sharpen. Dont know why ppl would go for a harder steel on there kitchen knifes. But aslong as you take care of your fine knives they will sharpen up fast. Some really mistreated knifes will take some time to put a new edge on.

I have a nice sharpening kit I got at a garage sale yrs and yrs ago and forgot about it till this thread popped up. Its the Lansky version mentioned on first page I just realized after looking at the case stampings. Guess I will get it out and try it. Anyone have a copy of the directions on how to use it? This kit has no directions in it but 100% complete..

Edit..NVM Lansky site has all the info I need and a video on how to use...

I should point out that I edited my earlier post about my "Lansky" controlled-angle sharpening kit. I've had a cold and it must've been the medicine talking. I think the brand was actually a Smith or some other cheaper brand, but anyway, the stones weren't the best, and they eventually all came unglued from the bases.

I've got a couple of gift cards for Bass Pro Shop, so it would be nice if they had something like a Lansky kit that I could cover all angles needed for kitchen knives and outdoor knives. My ceramic-coated steels that stand in a "V" on a base are handy and fast, but not near as precise. I've had really good luck using them to sharpen a couple of our chef knives, though.

I have Globals and bring them to a commercial sharpener a few minutes away. Cost is around $4.00 each and I sharpen them twice a year honing in between. I really should bring them in more but I'm a home cook so my usage isn't that of a pro.I have a whetstone but, for 4 bucks, I'm happy to pay another.

Nella Cutlery is where I go in Toronto/Mississauga.

Jeff, as it turns out, I'm going to get over there tomorrow, but am wondering about getting one of their turn boxes with the 20 and 25* holes. They sure are handy.

I used the kit I have tonight and it sure can put a edge on a knife. Was going to do just one but ended up doing 5 seeing how easy it was with the deluxe kit. I really like the universal mount they show on the Bass Pro link above. Really would make it easier to hold the clamp.

BTW Dave. I spent the last 4 weeks down in Nashville around the airport area and over in Hermitage and Mt Juliet helping out my daughter. Nice area and really thinking of heading that way even more now.

Last edited:
I used the kit I have tonight and it sure can put a edge on a knife. Was going to do just one but ended up doing 5 seeing how easy it was with the deluxe kit. I really like the universal mount they show on the Bass Pro link above. Really would make it easier to hole the clamp.

BTW Dave. I spent the last 4 weeks down in Nashville around the airport area and over in Hermitage and Mt Juliet helping out my daughter. Nice area and really thinking of heading that way even more now.

Hermitage and Mt. Juliet, huh? We're gonna run by Ace in Mt. Juliet tomorrow to pick up a couple bags of Wicked Good lump for my brisket cook this week. Then we're going to meet our future daughter-in-law who lives in Hermitage and our son and go out to Opry Mills for a movie. (My wife says I owe her a chic flic.)

Thanks for the tip. If they don't have both the deluxe kit and the universal mount at BPS, I'll just order off their site.
Shoot me a PM next time you're over this way!
Dave

I decied to go electric with the chefs choice 120. I did some research and the user reviews are very positive. Thanks for all the replies. "Stay hungry my friends"

Another with a Spyderco here. Father-in-law has a Lansky setup. I like both. I need to work on my "get the tip of the knife sharper" technique with the Spyderco.

Jarrod

That has been on my to buy list for quite some time. Until then I will keep using the one that came with out knife set.

I have used every kind of sharpener on the market, and far and away the best is the Wicked Edge. It cost too much, but, anyone can use it to put a perfect edge on any knife or razor, from hunting to kitchen knives. http://wickededgeusa.com/

Last edited:
$275? Wow. You said it. I can get baby smooth skin on my right arm from sharpening knives for a fraction of that. (I'm left handed.)

Yeah I would agree. Some things come at a price other things come from experience. Bang for the buck Syderco offers quality and will last you many years. At the end of the day, like cooking you have to practise. You have to work on your honing skills with any sharpening device. Oh by the way... softer metal sharpens easier and dulls quicker. Harder steels require more patience but cooking does too.
I respect your post but to me that's way too much to spend to get a sharp knife.

The advantage to the Wicked Edge system is that anyone can achieve superior results, with any type of knife, safely, in a fraction of the time it takes to use most other systems. I have owned them all, as it is necessary that I keep numerous knives working sharp, and want to spend the least amount of time on the very best edge possible, this is what I have settled on for use on the number of different types of blades, and the various skill levels of operators who share the investment.

I believe the question was asked about the "best" method to sharpen knives, do not remember seeing it reference the least expensive.

I you do a dozen or so knives on the Apex EdgePro, you'll start feeling comfortable pretty quick. The downside to that tool is, at least for me, I'm not totally ambidextrous, so when I have to flip the knife and hold with my right hand while using my left on the tool, its a bit awkward. I still really like it, but sprung for a wicked edge system a while back. A lot of purists will tell you just a good set of stones is all you need. Definitely cheaper

also might want to look at th naniwa chosera stones from chefknivestogo.com if you go EdgePro

Are you talking Sharpening or Honing as they are two different things.

Sharpening is done on a special grindstone and honing can be done on an oil stone, a steel or a ceramic steel.

As far as the professionals are concerned 99.9% of the Sharpeners leave a fine jagged edge (cannot be see with the eye) but can be felt.

I personally get mine sharpened once a year by a professional and I hone them with a very fine steel before I use it every time.

I also regularly wash and clean the honing steel.

I taught tool sharpening for 26 years.

I had two oil stones I finished off with a marble one then stropped with an oily piece of leather on the top of my Oil stone.

Always guaranteed to shave you.

Keith:):)

Last edited:

Back