What's happening to the point?

Jon in SF

TVWBB Fan
I see a lot of brisket flats. That's pretty much all that's available in my area. But what happens to the points? Are they sold as a separate cut of meat? Or are they ground down into ground beef?

Corned beef? Around St Paddy's Day I see lots of corned beef points round here. They go on sale for at least a month after.

Some people only want the flat because its so lean. A large flat will actually cook up pretty well. But I love that fatty brisket. I've only rarely seen points on sale and never around here.

I've wondered this myself. No grocery store here sells them or whole packers for that matter. Instead they sell $7+ flats. I have to go to places like Wally World to find whole packers. And they haven't carried Choice in awhile and to me there is a big difference.

I have not done the math to check it out, but with the higher price charged for a flat, it's almost like the markets can get just as much for the flat with the point removed, and then have a "free" point to make hamburger with. Bottom line - they make more $$ by removing the point.

For somewhat obvious reasons, it's hard to find just a flat here in Central Texas. The big upside is that we can sort through a dozen or more packers at any given time at the local super.

When I moved down here 35+ years ago, chopped beef sandwiches were from the point. Sliced beef were from the flat, that's not true anymore. It's a shame, they are two different textures. As you may imagine I like chopped beef, kind of the sloppy joe of BBQ.

My first post - I hope the images downloaded correctly.
I was surprised to find a couple of points at our local HEB last week. Cooked them up Sunday. They were about 5lbs each. Would have more but 2 was all they had.
After seasoning
Point%20Seasoned_zpshxawgflc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Before wrapping in BP
Pointtb4wrap_zpsiqrk3tlw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
All done.

They turned out juicy and tender. I thought my electric smoker was turning out good que until I moved to the WSM a month ago. What a huge difference.

I had never seen them before and they weren't where they have the packers and flats. Actually packaged by HEB. Best 2.47lb I have spent on beef.

Back