What's cooking this weekend...

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
What's cooking this weekend...?

First cook in a looong time.Throwing in a 10.5# brisket (9# after trimming). Had grab one from Walmart, so I imagine it's a "Select" from Excel. Looks decent enough though.
8372391884_a28f8680d6_b.jpg

8371318221_6e4e0eaf82_b.jpg

8372389396_0638637836_b.jpg

8371320461_a5c5aff448_b.jpg

Throw the rub on in the morning and in she goes.

Last edited:
I got the exact something today at our local Walmart. Same weight too. I put in on the smoker about an hour ago...my first all night smoke. Planing on 16-18hrs.

This is my first time doing a whole packer and the first I have bought from Walmart....Are they good quality?

Good luck with your smoke,
Dan

I've only done one before. It was ok. What temp are you smoking at? I'm throwing mine on around 4:30-5am or so for dinner.

New member here.
Just got my WSM, and breaking it in tonight w/ an 8lb pork butt. Can't wait for the pulled pork tomorrow afternoon. Smoking over Kingsford charcoal, oak nuggets, and hickory nuggets. Temp is currently at 225*F.

Hi Steve and welcome aboard.

I am doing an 8 pound picnic shoulder tomorrow. I'm doing it in my 18 1/2" WSM, at 250F, for about 8-10 hours. Using KBB and red oak chunks. Hopefully the pulled pork sammys will be good!

Bob

How are the briskets from Walmart smoking wise vs others? Still have yet to tackle one and was going to hit up Costco but didn't even think to check Walmart.....Any pros or cons of either one? Myself I`m doing 2 -4lb pork loins for the family and they want one Maple brined and the other I`m rubbing and then wrapping in bacon. Hope the weather in Albany is a bit warmer for you Bill....Ex Rochester NY person myself and I know its cold in Jan...LOL

I'm also doing an 8lb butt. It's sitting in my wsm as we speak. Hoping for some awesome pulled pork tomorrow for dinner.

I'm shooting for 205-215 WSM dome temp but I just came out after sleeping a bit and temp had climbed to 240. Water was just about gone so I added some and temp is coming back down nicely. Love this thing.

Mike, this is my first brisket from Walmart so I can't comment on quality-hoping someone else will chime in on that. I read on hear that people often get their briskest from Sam's Club....wouldn't they be the same? My local Kroger didn't have any and I don't have an in-town meat market so Walmart had to do.

Dan

I'm shooting for 205-215 WSM dome temp but I just came out after sleeping a bit and temp had climbed to 240. Water was just about gone so I added some and temp is coming back down nicely. Love this thing.

Mike, this is my first brisket from Walmart so I can't comment on quality-hoping someone else will chime in on that. I read on hear that people often get their briskest from Sam's Club....wouldn't they be the same? My local Kroger didn't have any and I don't have an in-town meat market so Walmart had to do.

Dan

Dan that's kinda low imo. I shoot for 250.

You would think I would have at least one working flashlight in the house, and the outside light is burnt out. Had to use a candle to see what I was doing...lol.

Dan that's kinda low imo. I shoot for 250.

You would think I would have at least one working flashlight in the house, and the outside light is burnt out. Had to use a candle to see what I was doing...lol.
I agree Bill. It will be pretty hard to get the meat done at those temps.

Wish we had a pic of you with your candle checking the smoker.:p

I plan on cooking some spares and butt chunks tomorrow.

Looking at the price of that brisket from Walmart...wow I pay $3.99 for Select and better up here and would have to special order an Angus. Not even sure I could get only one or two.

Don't usually get them there. But my usual place only had bigger ones. Wanted one around 10 pounds or so.

Bill don't know what your thoughts are as you get close to foiling temp but if you let your pan run dry before it will help to stiffen up the bark. Good luck. I love brisket. Are you doing burnt ends?

I agree Bill. It will be pretty hard to get the meat done at those temps.

Wish we had a pic of you with your candle checking the smoker.:p

I plan on cooking some spares and butt chunks tomorrow.
+1 on the picture walking around with a candle. Might of been kind of "Spooky" if the Fog was drifting in just right :)

New member here.
Just got my WSM, and breaking it in tonight w/ an 8lb pork butt. Can't wait for the pulled pork tomorrow afternoon. Smoking over Kingsford charcoal, oak nuggets, and hickory nuggets. Temp is currently at 225*F.

Howdy, Steve, and welcome to the forum - let us know how your smoke turns out - as for me, I've been soaking a London broil (yep, not the cut - the method of cooking) in a Hawaiian rib eye marinade since yesterday morning, and plan to put it on my OTG tomorrow....

Regards,

Rooster

Whoops thought you were talking to the other Bill about foiling, never tried foil.. I just bump up the temp towards the end to get the bark firmer. In the past when I've let the pan run dry by accident I've gotten a real unpleasant smoke odor. Which I imagine can't be could for the taste.

Back