What's a good price for chicken wings these days?

T MacGreggor

TVWBB Pro
I haven't done wings in ages, but put that on my to do list after seeing some great wing posts in the photo gallery here. Yesterday I got a sale flier from a local store advertising a family pack of raw wings for $1.79/lb. That seemed a little high and it occurred to me that a few months ago I picked up bone-in breasts from the same store for less per $/lb than that. This is the same store that had 29 cents/lb leg quarters recently as well. So what do you folks consider a good price for wings these days?

I pay $2.99 to $3.49 for fresh & trimmed wings. Once in a while I'll see them cheaper. I don't buy frozen wings very often.

Here the local Safeway had legs, thighs, quarters, bone in breasts and wholes for $.69 a pound. Wings $3.99 a pound, go figure.

Wow, Rich. Considering the meat to bone ratio on wings, it's got to be supply and demand these days driving the price up like that. I remember in college at sports bars enough wings, blue cheese dressing and celery for two average people was only $3-4.

I'm sure it is the skin-meat AND bone ratio. The skin is where all the flavour is, hence that's why they say to eat skinless. Get a lot more skin on a wing than on say, a thigh. Whatever gets popular (hanger, tri tip) gets more expensive. Till the next "fad" or the next trendy food comes along.

The highest price for wing's up hear is 3.69, But i only buy the drummets there 3.29 a pound not much to eat on the wing's imo.

I do wings almost once a week and the prices are def higher than they were 3 years ago. Average here in the main supermarkets for the family pack of whole wings not on sale is 2.79 to 3.19. Typical sale price is 2.29, but every once in a while (5-6 months) they will hit 1.89-1.99. Just recently an Aldi opened up and they are consistanly 2.29. The smaller package size of drummets is even higher.

As for frozen wings I dont mind them at all, just make sure you get Perdue and feel that all the wings are a normal size. I have trid to save money on the cheaper bags when on sale 2/$10, but its not worth the savings. I keep a bag in the freezer all the time and it takes about 1/2 hour to defrost in water and its a good size for just me.

Price gouging has hit the wing market with both barrels! I remember the days when you could get them for 49 cents a pound now they are five times that or more! I love wings as much as the next guy but, this is really getting stupid. I'd get breasts, thighs or livers unless that are on sale! I have no compunction with frozen wings, they get to the store frozen most of the time anyway. When they're on sale, I get there early in the day and take them home before the packages have a chance to thaw and sling them in the freezer, as far as texture is concerned, holy smoke, they are not Kobe Beef! They're wings, what should be the cheapest part of the creature.
What Len says it true too, when I was a kid, my dad used to get flank steak for CHEAP now it's as much as a freaking ribeye! Crazy price gouging profiteers! End rant.

Hit up a Mexi-mart if you got one around. Fresh whole wings are a bargain if you don't mind parting them out. ( I cook mine whole )
Wings have gone the same route as oxtails.

Tim

My local Kroger's has chicken wings in several varieties for $1.99 per lb. in this week's sale ad.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Before I even clicked on your thread, $1.79/lb was my magic number. The drumettes are $1 more/lb. I would throw a couple packs in the freezer for $1.79/lb.

Hit up a Mexi-mart if you got one around. Fresh whole wings are a bargain if you don't mind parting them out. ( I cook mine whole )
Wings have gone the same route as oxtails.

Tim

That's a good idea, Tim. I'll give that a shot. Good oxtail analogy too.

Before I even clicked on your thread, $1.79/lb was my magic number. The drumettes are $1 more/lb. I would throw a couple packs in the freezer for $1.79/lb.

I probably will this time. I grill a lot of fresh whole chickens from Aldi that are always 95cents/lb. So in the future I'm going to start cutting the wings off first, freezing them, then when I get a dozen or so, grill my 95cents/lb wings. :coolkettle:

That $1.79/lb wing sale turned out to be Tyson fresh wings, not the big bulk frozen package I'd expected. Ended up getting a package of 15 wings for just under $7. More than I'd like to pay, but sounds like it was a good deal according to all the helpful replies here.

Wings are $2.29 at the local markets sale price flyer this week. But why buy them when all the other parts of the chicken
cost less, have more meat and are just as easy to grill or Q with any sauce or method? Wings just don't compute for me any
more, very little bang for the buck.

Those are really unexpensive here.
But they are soo guuuud they could cost like beef and I wouldn't care!
I oove them and they are a regular hit at my table!

Back