Whatcha Smokin' fer Christmas?

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
We have an 18.57 lb whole fresh ham that I cured using Dizzy Pig's Cured Ham recipe but used WRO and upped the garlic to 6 cloves. Ham was skinned, bringing it down to the 17 lb range, and injected on the 15th with approx 6 cups of cure/brine vs. 4 cups .. Hopefully, the extra injection will suffice for the 8 days vs. 10 days called for ... No pics up to this point
icon_rolleyes.gif
Planing on smoking at 230-240º starting early tomorrow morning for a Christmas Eve dinner .. Will finish it up with a honey-mustard glaze and will try to get a pic or 2
icon_wink.gif

What's schmokin' at your place?

Bill

Just put on a whole packer brisket. Up to temp (more or less) at 7:15PM, hoping for a mid-day finish tomorrow (Xmas eve). Will slice and reheat for Xmas buffet on Friday.

First overnight cook with a brisket. All going well so far- 225 lid temp, 14lb choice brisket that ended up being about 11 lbs trimmed and rubbed with "Dr. Gonzo's One Hump" rub. It's cold outside- hoping that the fuel lasts through the night so I can re-stoke in the AM if necessary. Will update tomorrow!

Happy holidays to all!

John P

Wow - sounds delightful. I won't be home long enough Christmas Eve or Christmas Day to smoke anything, so I've got some Filet Mignon's lined up for the gasser for Christmas Eve. New's Year day will see some ribs or a butt, however - or maybe ribs AND a butt.

Originally posted by John P:

It's cold outside- hoping that the fuel lasts through the night so I can re-stoke in the AM if necessary. Will update tomorrow!

You should be fine - you might want to shake some of the ash down before you hit the sack, though. Best thing I ever did was buy a cheap wireless thermometer at Wal-Mart for less than $20. That way I can check the temp at 3:00 AM without getting out of bed.

I hope all goes well!

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a nice rib roast to do in the kettle for my wife and me. Received my social security check today.
icon_biggrin.gif
What the heck, you only live once, not that I'm starving. With all the stores around here I should be able to find one. The only question is how much I'll have to pay. It'll be my holiday gift to me. Plan on letting it sit out on the counter for 90 minutes, giving it some sear, then moving to indirect at about 275-300*. Don't like it too rare, just medium rare, so we'll see. To all, have some great holiday cooks and enjoy

Doin' three slabs of ribs. Trimmed and coated with rub in the frig. Made some cherry and apple glaze I whipped up as a finishing sauce.

just got done getting my wsm and kettle ready. will do a good sized brisket in the wsm and a ready to cook ham in the kettle thursday. first time for a brisket in the wsm so kinda nervous. got it wired in the kettle so shouldn't be that bad. first time for me at this temp, 50f and below, yes, thats cold here, so that will add to the anxiety.

Originally posted by george curtis:
first time for me at this temp, 50f and below, yes, thats cold here, so that will add to the anxiety.
Hang in there George. I can feel your pain.
icon_wink.gif

17 pounds of pork butt going on WSM tomorrow morning approximately 5am.
expecting another rain/snow mix (same crap I cooked in over Thanksgiving eve/day) during the 20some hour cook. yippie, can't wait.
icon_mad.gif

why I listen to in-law-requests
icon_rolleyes.gif

Going to the Bro and Sis in laws on Christmas Eve and have to work a 12 hour shift on Christmas so I won't be not doing any cooking over the holiday weekend.

I'm smoking three slabs of spares tomorrow afternoon, and I think the wife if cooking a ham Christmas day.... Hmmm, I wonder if she'd let me smoke it instead of her baking it in the oven. That would free up the oven for pies and such...sounds reasonable to me..... Funny how what sounds reasonable to me doesn't always sound reasonable to her, though.

Merry Christmas! Dave

I have a 11lb, 5 rib, Rib Roast I'll be cooking on the kettle Friday. Monday I'll then be smoking a couple of racks of spares, beans and a 9lb picnic.

Grilled halibut on Christmas Eve and a boneless rib roast for Christmas. Why my folks picked out a boneless roast is beyond is beyond me... less waste they say, less flavor I respond and leave it at that.

Doing my first standing rib roast but will probably be cooking Saturday instead on Friday due to "the quarter century storm" hitting. Also planning to do some cheese and possibly a pork tenderloin Sunday.

Originally posted by Mosef:
Grilled halibut on Christmas Eve and a boneless rib roast for Christmas. Why my folks picked out a boneless roast is beyond is beyond me... less waste they say, less flavor I respond and leave it at that.

You could mention that James Beard once said something about the cook hiding ribs after cooking a rib roast, but it might not do any good....

....However, if my pooch could talk, he could convince them that a rib roast is the way to go, NO PROBLEM! (He'd be sorry if the meat on those bones came off clean like off spares!)

Merry Christmas! Dave

On of the rare holiday's I won't be smoking anything or grilling. However, I will be eating good; Ed C's doing a Prime Rib and has invited us to celebrate Christmas at his house. Got to love it!

Back