Whatcha get for X-mas?

I get to keep my girlfriend. 5 years cancer free.

My wonderful wife is cancer free also after a year, best Christmas present ever!!!

Like Rich and J, I still have my wife. She recovered 100% from a bad stroke that baffled the doctors so she's the same girl I married 55 years ago. We had a wonderful Christmas.

Having a loved one for another Christmas is definitely the greatest gift. While not cancer-free, my wife is going on 56 months after being given a 48 month prognosis thanks to science and City of Hope.

In the cooking department, my wife gave me a meater+, Charred & Scruffed by Adam Perry Lang, Purviance's Weber's Mediterranean Barbecue (A UK book with everything metric.), and a book on batch making cocktails.

Say JGrotz
What’s the cocktail book?
I’m going to be making myself a small batch of perfect Manhattans in about half an hour!

Say JGrotz
What’s the cocktail book?
I’m going to be making myself a small batch of perfect Manhattans in about half an hour!

Batch Cocktails: Make-Ahead Pitcher Drinks for Every Occasion by Maggie Hoffman. I haven't cracked it open yet, so I don't know if there's a Manhattan recipe.

I have my own for “Perfect Manhattans” and they are just the way I like them.
For four (if you have reasonable glasses) I use an apothecary beaker, hence, the metric measurements but, you get the idea.

200 ml. Canadian Club (traditional recipe)
50 ml. EACH dry and sweet Martini and Rossi vermouth
6 healthy dashes Angostura bitters

Fill a Boston shaker with ice, install the bitters over the ice.
Measure out the whiskey pour over the ice.
Measure the vermouths and pour over the whiskey.
Wait, five minutes (if you can) swirl the shaker gently.
Strain into chilled glasses, garnishing with a cherry or a twist or an olive, if you are a deep traditionalist.

I prefer these as a “standing” cocktail, they are “gem clear” as opposed to violently shaken which clouds the presentation.
I no longer garnish them aside from maybe a frosted glass, the cherry makes it sweeter than I like, the olive was just odd, and a twist? Well, if you must.

These batch pretty well up to a liter. The bitters can be a little frustrating but, after the first liter, who cares!

I knew my wife was getting me a Slow n Sear for my kettle (since I ordered it for her, lol), but I didn't know that she was also getting me Stephen Raichlen's new book Brisket Chronicles and Aaron Franklin's book Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto.

Plus she shared my wishlist of BBQ stuff with her mom (my MIL), so I also got some skewers, a rib rack, a rapidfire compact chimney, and some grill gloves.

Finally, I also found a wood-handle CGA on FB marketplace in good condition last week for $10! And then a very generous member over at WKC sent me a new grate for it. Score! I feel super lucky.

First cook with the ne SnS was a 4.5lb pork butt yesterday. Less than a day later, it's probably half gone...and there are only 2 of us. So yeah I'd say it was a success.

Happy New Year everyone!

Bose Revolve Plus blue-tooth speaker. Now the neighbors can hear my music better while they smell what I'm cooking.

Thermoworks Signals and Billows, Pat LaFrieda Meats gift card. I’m excited to try my WSM with Billows.

Back