What would you do?

Am I remembering correctly that there were some teething issues with those first Summits — or am I thinking of the bad carts on the early E6 models?
E6 first release had cart issues. All those models were pulled from the channel and the issue was fixed. All sold E6s received in-field service to correct the issue as in those units were replaced, from what I’ve read and heard.

The WSC with gas had no real issues except Baby Back Maniac had a smoke leak issue which Weber did correct after some back and forth.

If you’re getting warranty on this new unit, don’t fret too much. If the unit is used and no warranty, it’s worth to me around $0.50-0.60 cents on the dollar. You’d be stuck without any warranty and will have to pay for parts down the road.

I used to be when I had time. I have a roto on my summit and have never used it. I guess with age I’ve become lazy. I’m into kebabs these days. Minced meats on steel sticks and cooking the meat over coals. That’s where I burn some personal time. I’m trying to perfect my skills on these 🙏
I just got some skewers to try my hand at them.

Why not rake out and level you pad area, add 3/4” crushed gravel and then top with sand and do pavers (with a containing border). This way you’ll have the drainage and be above grade when frost hits. Just a suggestion. This way you’ll get a very/mostly flat deck surface.
That's a fail here. As the ground heaves, the pavers become VERY uneven; they have to be taken up and reset every couple of years. BTDT, too many times to count. In fact, I'm removing the last section of them to build this shelter/picnic area.

Settled on packed gravel for outdoor surfaces some years ago, which works out very well even if it isn't terribly cosmopolitan.

Smokefire.
E6 or S6
Large or XL BGE
Rectec 700

Edit one of these plus what you currently have.

Can you burn Pellets when there is a charcoal ban?

Last edited:
Since I've gotten back into BBQ, I've been cooking 4 nights a week for the two of us (me and my wife.) I usually do three different recipes during the week, then on Sunday I do a pizza.

This afternoon, while discussing last night's pork chop recipe, my wife tells me that I'm a better cook than she is, and — this is a verbatim quote — "you can buy any BBQ thing you want!"

So...if you were given that kind of free reign, what would you do?

Since I've gotten back into BBQ, I've been cooking 4 nights a week for the two of us (me and my wife.) I usually do three different recipes during the week, then on Sunday I do a pizza.

This afternoon, while discussing last night's pork chop recipe, my wife tells me that I'm a better cook than she is, and — this is a verbatim quote — "you can buy any BBQ thing you want!"

First thing I do is recognize that she's a keeper! I love my pellet grill. Maybe a Smoke Fore.

Can you burn Pellets when there is a charcoal ban?
That's a good question. We live in a forest protection zone, and the rules only state (this is from memory, so may not be the exact verbiage) that "open flames are prohibited" but that "liquid or gas fuels are allowed".

Keep in mind that should I have a pellet grill, and it happened to let loose a spark that starts a wildfire, since it ISN'T one of the "allowed" fuel exceptions I'd be billed for the entire cost of fighting the fire. So I tend to be very cautious!

The Kamado for its superior temperature regulation?

Why a Smokefire? I've never even considered a pellet grill (even though I live in Traeger Country, and MAK Grills is a short drive away...)
Yes. I love the Summit Charcoal, it’s so adaptable and frankly outperforms any of my other kettles. If I could have only one, that would be the one.

Smokefire, mainly curiosity. I always thought a pellet wasn’t real BBQ and really still feel that way, but curiosity hit. When Weber announced it I figured ok if they’re jumping in, maybe there’s something to it. Was on preorder list and held off due to early reviews. So got looking at others and really piqued my interest and was about to buy another brand and decided ultimately I’d try Smokefire.

Any local food trucks or restaurants around here, all use pellets. They’re ok, so I want to see if I can master it and rival charcoal. I doubt it but it would be nice for that in-between cook, ready to go almost as fast as a gasser, but with more flavor than a gasser.

Literally my dream car. Well, more specific a Plum Crazy Demon, but I’ll settle for any ‘cat at this point.

I’m more a Mopar guy than a Weber guy even.
Always hated that color. Love old Mopars though. (pre-1972) by 1972 everything was designed to run no/low lead. They did not have the controls we have today so ratios were in the 7.5/1 8/1 range, timing was WAY retarded to allow for much leaner burns, and previously muscular engines became dogs. By early 70s that old standby 440 magnum was strangulated down to about 200 hp from 400+ :(

get a ranch kettle…. yes it is big, but i use one chimney when cooking. direct, indirect, smoke and room to rotate multiple dishes. protein, veggies, potatoes etc all at once on one bank of charcoal. versatile for two, neccessry for 4+ people.

Yes. I love the Summit Charcoal, it’s so adaptable and frankly outperforms any of my other kettles. If I could have only one, that would be the one.

Smokefire, mainly curiosity. I always thought a pellet wasn’t real BBQ and really still feel that way, but curiosity hit. When Weber announced it I figured ok if they’re jumping in, maybe there’s something to it. Was on preorder list and held off due to early reviews. So got looking at others and really piqued my interest and was about to buy another brand and decided ultimately I’d try Smokefire.

Any local food trucks or restaurants around here, all use pellets. They’re ok, so I want to see if I can master it and rival charcoal. I doubt it but it would be nice for that in-between cook, ready to go almost as fast as a gasser, but with more flavor than a gasser.
IMHO, a pellet grill can be a great addition to most outdoor cooking arsenals but, as a lone smoker/grill, I'd pick a kettle any time. While some manufacturers have improved on the capabilities of their pellet grills, it's probably still best to think of them as wood fired convection ovens. That is, essentially, what they are. The bit of smoky goodness they impart is what sets them apart from gassers.

My first thought is the E6 or S6. It is what I would go with without a second thought (hear that Bruno) if I was give that green light. However, I am going to through one out from left field (at least I think) what about a Pizza oven? Like an Onni or similar product? If you make Pizza once a week and are doing great with your two beautiful Weber's that is a product that could get a lot of use, but not take up a lot of space. After you master pizzas, you move to cooking other great stuff in there.

My first thought is the E6 or S6. It is what I would go with without a second thought (hear that Bruno) if I was give that green light. However, I am going to through one out from left field (at least I think) what about a Pizza oven? Like an Onni or similar product? If you make Pizza once a week and are doing great with your two beautiful Weber's that is a product that could get a lot of use, but not take up a lot of space. After you master pizzas, you move to cooking other great stuff in there.
I’ve seen those ovens and they look like a lot of fun! Especially with the kids!

F756ED45-4141-44FF-83E9-DD0798ADFD57.jpeg
E6 makes great pizza.

If my wife insist that I can buy anything that I want, the first thing that I would do would be immediately suspicious as to what she was getting ready to buy.

Back