What would you do? :)

Chuck, you did exactly what I was going to suggest - leave it up to them. Now that you know their level of appreciation, you can decide if you want to travel that road again should it come up.

By the way, it was very generous of you to smoke a pork butt for them! I wouldn't have the courage or confidence to attempt something like that. The only people who eat my barbecue are my wife and me, and our kids when they come to visit!

My neighbors know that any time I'm smoking they can throw something on if there's room. If a friend or neighbor asks me once in a while to smoke something for him when I'm not otherwise planning to cook and I decide to do it, it's a favor and I don't charge for favors. Who knows, I may have to borrow his pressure washer next week.

It's a hard question to answer, when dealing with friends and family when they ask you "what do I owe you?" Most of us do this as a hobby, a slow down spare time to ourselves that we enjoy. Can you put a price on that? I dunno. I love my quiet time around the smokers when cooking for my crew. When I'm asked to cook for a party of friends or family the expectation level rises and it becomes less of a hobby and more of a job.
Not sayin I don't volunteer to cook for family or friends, it just raises the bar higher, and how do you put a price on that?
Most of you know that I'm a Carpenter. Normal rate for friends & family is beer and a cheeseburger. I redid my Nephews casement windows on his house and he asked me what do I owe you Uncle Tim. I said don't worry about it, your family.
A few days later I received a packet of gift cards from him in the mail that totaled over 300 dollars.
I wasn't expecting that but it was appreciated.

Tim

Hey Tim, how's it going buddy? Did you smell all the smoke coming from my house? I was outside cooking for 19 hours straight. Once I finished one thing, I started another. I am wiped out!!!

Thanks again everyone! I like seeing everyone's responses. The people I made the pork for are not super close friends. They happened to come over one time as I was finishing pulling a shoulder. I had them try some and they really liked it. Anyway, the shoulder took 14 hours. I texted them and told them it was done. They came over to get it. I waited to shred it until they were at my house. The husband watched me shred the pork. While shredding he asked me if I wanted anything. I told him it was up to him. After I was done shredding, he handed me $10. Later his wife asked how much they owed and the husband told her that he had already given me $10. She said that's it? She asked me if I wanted more and I said, sure I'll take $100. She asked me a few more times if I wanted anymore. I just said that what they gave me was enough to cover the charcoal I used for it. I talked to a few friends about it and they were put off that they didn't give me more money for my time at least. I just said I felt honored that they liked my food enough for me to make some for them.

OT:
About a month ago I did a solid for my neighbors. I took care of their bearded dragon while they were out of town for a few days. Today, they texted and asked if I was home. They came over and dropped off a thank you card along with a $25 Bass Pro giftcard. That really made my day! :)

Kind of a bummer. I'd definitely think twice if the guy asked me in the future. Might just find that I was too busy.

At any rate, did you throw something on for yourself while the smoker was going >?

They first cook is on me except for the coat of the meat because I generally will cook something for me but then it'll cost them depending on how close of a friend they are, if I provide the meat and time,$35-40 for 1 butt and adjust based on how many

If I had to buy the meat, then that would be all I would charge.

I'm with Chuck. If someone like my q that much they wanted me to do a cook for them, no worries.

We have some friends that really like our homemade bacon and asked if I would make some for them. They offered to buy the pork belly and split it with me if I would make them some. Seemed fair enough to me, I would rather do it that way instead of getting money.

If a buddy asked me to smoke something I think I would ask for charcoal and meat. If they wanted to provide anything above that (beer etc) I would most likely accept but I don't think I would take just straight cash... If they weren't friends maybe....

I'm late to this but I would tell my friends it's up to you...a beer and I'm happy. Most will probably give more and something fair.

Hey Tim, how's it going buddy? Did you smell all the smoke coming from my house? I was outside cooking for 19 hours straight. Once I finished one thing, I started another. I am wiped out!!!

Thanks again everyone! I like seeing everyone's responses. The people I made the pork for are not super close friends. They happened to come over one time as I was finishing pulling a shoulder. I had them try some and they really liked it. Anyway, the shoulder took 14 hours. I texted them and told them it was done. They came over to get it. I waited to shred it until they were at my house. The husband watched me shred the pork. While shredding he asked me if I wanted anything. I told him it was up to him. After I was done shredding, he handed me $10. Later his wife asked how much they owed and the husband told her that he had already given me $10. She said that's it? She asked me if I wanted more and I said, sure I'll take $100. She asked me a few more times if I wanted anymore. I just said that what they gave me was enough to cover the charcoal I used for it. I talked to a few friends about it and they were put off that they didn't give me more money for my time at least. I just said I felt honored that they liked my food enough for me to make some for them.

OT:
About a month ago I did a solid for my neighbors. I took care of their bearded dragon while they were out of town for a few days. Today, they texted and asked if I was home. They came over and dropped off a thank you card along with a $25 Bass Pro giftcard. That really made my day! :)

I think you played it right and showed real class Chuck.

I've done this a few times for friends and not so close friends gatherings. If they supply the meat, I don't charge anything.

Back