What to do with a pork loin

Andy V

TVWBB Member
Purchased a pork loin a few weeks back and was going to make some chopps rapped in bacon. Then i got to thinking, I could do some BBQ with this. What do you guys do with your pork loin? Is it doo lean to smoke?

I would pack it up and send it my way. :) just kidding. I cook it indirect until it reachs 145 internal temp then pull and let rest for 30 mins before slicing

I would cut it open like an S, marinate, truss it, and put it on a roti or smoker. It's lean so take it off at 140.

Do a "Z" cut, and pound it out flat. I like stuffing it with Basil Pesto and Feta, rolling it back up and throwing on the smoker and cook at 350*. Using the same rub on the outside as I do with porkbutts.

Here's an idea:

¼ cup salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon pepper

Dissolve salt in 2 quarts water in large container. Submerge pork loin in brine, cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Remove pork from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Rub pork loin with oil and coat with pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

Clean and oil cooking grate. Place pork loin on hot side of grill, fat side up, and cook until well browned on all sides turning as needed. Use smoke wood for flavor.

Move loin to cool side of grill, positioning roast parallel with and as close as possible to heat. Cover (position lid vent over roast) and cook for 20 minutes.

Rotate roast 180 degrees, cover, and continue to cook until center of meat registers 140 degrees.

Transfer roast to carving board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes. Remove twine, cut roast into ½-inch-thick slices, and serve.

-- The Editors at America's Test Kitchen (2012-10-12). The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated Cookbooks). Boston Common Press. Kindle Edition.

Last edited:
I would Go with a "smo0ke it hole" Or " fill it" Inner temp MAX 150..Ideal 140f. Alotof ppl suggest to cut it..i would to. Fill with the stuffs you like!

I would cut it open like an S, marinate, truss it, and put it on a roti or smoker. It's lean so take it off at 140.
Exactly what I did on Saturday 4.5 lb on the rotisserie. If doing it on a kettle don't forget to put a drip pan under it, I added some white wine to my drip pan, it made a great sauce.

What is there not to do with a pork loin. cut it up into chops, roast it and slice it thick or thin, cube it up and fry it. there are so many things to do with it.

New smoker here, I cooked a loin Sunday just gone. I applied a rub 48 hours before cooking, injected with about 200ml of liquid (apple juice, honey, salt and 1 tbl of the rub), just before cooking. Smoked it over cherry wood at 107 celcius until it reached 60 celcius, at which point I took it off, rubbed it with a little honey all over and quickly seared it to give it some colour. I then double wrapped it in foil to rest for about an hour, it had risen to 65 celcius by that point but was still delicious and moist.

Next time I'm going to take it out once it reaches 57 celcius, so it can continue to cook whilst resting to the perfect 62 celcius. And it did need more smoke flavour, the three chunks I had put on had only partially burnt, so maybe they just needed better positioning on the coals as it was quite a short cook?

Last edited:
I brine mine in buttermilk, slide on the rotisserie spit, let er cook till it starts to get a bit brown, and hit it with some smoky bbq sauce till she hits 145 degrees. Slice to desired thickness and enjoy!

I brine mine in buttermilk, slide on the rotisserie spit, let er cook till it starts to get a bit brown, and hit it with some smoky bbq sauce till she hits 145 degrees. Slice to desired thickness and enjoy!

I've heard of buttermilk on chicken but not pork. How does it turn out?

I've heard of buttermilk on chicken but not pork. How does it turn out?

Just like using it with chicken, it breaks down the meat to make it more tender. To me, pork loin is kind of boring unless you do something with it and this works. After the first meal with it, I put the remainder in the fridge and slice very thinly for sandwiches the rest of the week. Where else can you get meat like this for less than 2 dollars a pound?

Back