What size clay saucer?

DanM

Hello all I'm new to VWBB!!! I just purchased a brand new WSM 18.5 from amazon, and I'm looking to stop using water in the water-pan. I have seen posts where folks are using clay saucers. My question is what size should I purchase? I was thinking "14??? I'm limited to shopping only online (amazon) since I'm serving our country in Japan. Also, should I foil the water-pan, clay saucer and place both of them in the WSM? Will I notice a difference in temp without using water? Thanks for the input. I have been grilling for years, but now I'm smoking!!!

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

Good choice on the switch. The only difference I noticed was on the ease of cleanup, no difference in temperature.

Yeah, the 14 should work fine, at least with the old pan, but I think the new water pan should be fine too. I foil the pan, the saucer, and the another layer over both of them. It does make the top of the pan a little taller so your bottom grate might sit on the saucer now instead of sitting flush on the supports but I haven't noticed an issue.

Enjoy!

I use a Brinkmann charcoal pan in place of the stock 18 1/2" water pan, it gives much better access to the charcoal ring.

I do not use water. I put a foiled 14" clay flower pot base in the pan, then foil over the top of the pan.

I find it much easier to control the temperature with no water, especially when cooking 250F and up. Cleanup is much easier.

Bob

Daniel, JMO but why bother with saucer at all ? I've (as have many) been happily & successfully just foiling the empty water pan. It allows for a greater range of temps. and more fuel efficiency. Just have never understood what the point of the saucer is.

Thank you for serving our Country Daniel and Welcome to the forum!

I'm with Justin and Bob on this one, as I do the very same.
However, Marc may have it down better yet. If it works fine without the clay saucer, why bother?
I suggest foiling the waterpan sans the saucer and see how it works for you.
My beef rib cook tomorrow will be without the wrapped up saucer.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I will try the saucer, and I will search for a brinkmann charcoal pan.

I just wrap up the water pan in HD foil and my WSM runs just fine...give it shot before you buy the saucer..ya might find that you dont need it.......

Daniel, JMO but why bother with saucer at all ? I've (as have many) been happily & successfully just foiling the empty water pan. It allows for a greater range of temps. and more fuel efficiency. Just have never understood what the point of the saucer is.
I ran an empty pan for a year. Yes it can be done but it can also run away very quick. Especlaly when trying to run the 250-275 range.

After one cook with a dish, wish I had done so along time ago. Still can run higher temps but I have a lot more control up and down

To each your own I guess

Dwain, i have a 16" platter, fits perfectly.
but today i used my 22" WSM without it and had no problems whatsoever.
So, i'm going without it from now on until further notice:p

Dwain, i have a 16" platter, fits perfectly.
but today i used my 22" WSM without it and had no problems whatsoever.
So, i'm going without it from now on until further notice:p

Thanks Jim, I've done some commando cooks as well but I am interested in the clay saucer idea.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I will try the saucer, and I will search for a brinkmann charcoal pan.

There is another option as well. Your smoker has the larger water pan which does limit your fuel access. If you are not going to use the water pan you can remove it and use a clay saucer by itself, just foil it. If you like it, you can shim each of the bottom four grill stap bolts with two 1/4" washers. This will make the resting points come a little clsoer together and the saucer will sit more solidly in the smoker. I do this all the time now and am only using water for ribs. I do have a Brinkman charcoal pan as well. They have a nice wide lip on them and sit very solidly in the smoker.

I use two foiled clay saucers when I dry pan it in my 18.5": 12" in bottom of foiled water pan and a 14" sitting on top. Fits perfectly.

14" is correct. Went to Lowes and they didn't carry them. Went on this site for help and read that Home Depot carried them and sure enough they do. Right at $10.00. Have used it once and it made a huge difference in temp control.

So just more material for a heat sink? You know I have thought about taking a pan and filling it with something like aquarium gravel. Very consistent in size and of course the rock absorbs the heat and would continue to give off the heat.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
First time using clay saucer, when I unwrapped the clay saucer after a 5 hour cook the saucer has started to melt, and lose its shape. Is this normal? Looks like 1 more use and it will be completely destroyed. Is there any suggestions?

First time using clay saucer, when I unwrapped the clay saucer after a 5 hour cook the saucer has started to melt, and lose its shape. Is this normal? Looks like 1 more use and it will be completely destroyed. Is there any suggestions?

Whoa! Are you sure you're using a Terracotta clay saucer not a composite or plastic one?

Tim

I'm on my second saucer, I cracked the first one(my fault) never had either deform. I'm thinking like Tim can't be the right material.

Back