What is the texture of a properly cooked brisket?

Great question! and there will be many opinions.

First assume for the flat it is sliced across the grain. It should not crumble or fall apart so it looks like chopped meat. The slice should hold together some but not require a long chewing session. You can manipulate this to some extent by making your slices thicker or thinner depending on done-ness.

Moisture is a big driver for texture and taste experience. Dry brisket is like eating paper to me--it just sort of breaks down and isn't very flavorful even if not tough. I like to taste the juices coming out of the meat when I chew it. Au jus and drippings from the brisket can be used when serving to help keep the slices moist when served.

To sauce or not to sauce is another debate. If you have sliced or chopped brisket swimming in sauce you probably have a wider range of acceptable texture and moisture. I do this with leftovers or sandwiches on buns.

I think just like ribs, there is a range of deliciousness that falls between a little chewy and dry/falling apart.

The point and "burnt ends" is a whole 'nother story but he point is much more forgiving since it needs to cook longer to render out the fat. I think burnt ends are like spaghetti sauce, everybody does it differently but theirs is the best.
icon_smile.gif

If it tastes delicious the texture can vary some. But if it has no taste all the great texture in the world won't make it memorable.

A probe should go into the flat with little or no resistance. Try inserting a probe into a raw piece of meat. Then imagine inserting a probe into a stick of room temperature butter. It won't go into the raw meat without work, but will go into the butter with no effort. Tender brisket will allow the probe to go in easily. That's when you know meat is tender.

I've only smoked 5 so far on the WSM. What I've learned (so far):

1. Use a good cut of meat. Choice or better.

2. If using a lesser grade, like Select, Go for a smaller animal which indicates younger and more tender.

3. With my cooks, I've noticed a "Second Stall". Temp is just an indicator but can be helpful. Example is hitting the stall around 170* F. then hit 190* sometime later. The 1st time it happened, I thought I would go longer (195*). Temp did not budge from 190* for 1/2 hour. I ended up with a brisket that was spongy which (I learned here) indicates Overdone. This happened to me again last Sunday while smoking a boston butt. This time I recognized it after about 5 mins and checked for tender. It was done and came out great. There is a window (like grilling a steak) that you have a short window for it to exceed.

4. On the other end of the spectrum, I have pulled a brisket off too early relying on internal meat temp instead of checking for tender. That is a real bummer after all that work.

5. Take into account the external weather conditions. Each cook will be different.

There are many Folks here that know scads more than me. These are just some of my encounters with the Mighty WSM. Each brisket gets better. Can't wait to do another one.

Welcome to the forum Brian.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great advise from all, I will say I have only done about 7 full packers now and the advise I will add is that overdone is better than underdone ie: If I make a mistake I would rather have it be too tender and fall apart when I cut it than just have a tough brisket. Although I have never put one back on the smoker after rest.

Also, when I started cooking them I was all about temps, that is OUT the window, at 185 I now do a poke test and then based on the response check again every 15-30 mins.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Adam W:
Great advise from all, I will say I have only done about 7 full packers now and the advise I will add is that overdone is better than underdone ie: If I make a mistake I would rather have it be too tender and fall apart when I cut it than just have a tough brisket. Although I have never put one back on the smoker after rest.

Also, when I started cooking them I was all about temps, that is OUT the window, at 185 I now do a poke test and then based on the response check again every 15-30 mins.

Good luck.
exactly my approach as well.......once it gets to 185-190, I start probing it every few minutes until I achieve probe tender.

for me, I'm looking for probe tender and still juicy......remember to let it rest after you pull it from the smoker. if not, you will be spilling all of that wonderful juice on your cutting board instead of letting it redistribute into the meat.

enjoy!!!

I'd like to add a question to this. The packers I've done, I go by temp to around 180 and then start checking for tender, but there's a small problem. If the main bulk of the flat is nice and perfectly tender, the thin end and about 2 or 3 inches in from it will be significantly overcooked (temping in the 210-225 range or thereabouts).

What's the best compromise or practice to get as much good, usable meat from the flat as possible without the end bits becoming grey shoe leather?

I saw Myron Mixon say that you should be able to drape a piece across your finger, and it will be moist and tender enough to hang but not so overcooked that it breaks.

I've done that one time. .

1330839964.jpg

Originally posted by Chris E:
If it tastes delicious the texture can vary some. But if it has no taste all the great texture in the world won't make it memorable.

Amen and amen, and that reminds me of last weekends brisket cook. I've cooked many a brisket that ended up a little softer and wetter, but never smoked one that ended up with the flavor of the 14lb Angus packer from Restaurant Depot. Not just touting the quality of the brisket though. I used a great recipe, got great smoke, and had a really good cook.

Chris, thanks a lot for both of your posts in this thread, as well as the criteria you credit to Mixon. All good points.

I had Myron Mixon's brisket at the Jack this year. Mind you this was his vendor product and not his competition product. When I held it in each hand and pulled in opposit directions, it stretched apart like a jigsaw puzzle right before it broke. It was firm but cut-it-with-a-fork tender (though I did not drape it over my finger).

Back