What is the best way to grill corn on the cob?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I love grilling, I love grilling veggies, I love eating corn on the cob, but up until yesterday I have never grilled corn on the cob. I followed the below recipe.
I got local first crop of the year corn, I don't think the quality of the corn was the best, but it was still good. The corn had good moisture and a little char and I loved it. However, when I look at a lot of your photos, most of you grill corn hush free.
What are the tricks, best recipes for grilling corn?What is the difference between hush on and hush off?
Oh a photo from my first attempt.

IMG_20200727_192243.jpg

I MUCH prefer grilling the corn AFTER it has been husked. I grill it direct with the lid off over a medium fire. I keep turning it when needed. When it looks done, it is done. When it is grilled in the husk, it tastes too much like grass to me.

FWIW
Dale53

If you have TRULY good corn and it is TRULY fresh there is nothing better that I have tried than cut the top silk off, trim up the bottom and stick it right on the grill. And, I have done it every way possible (in foil, in foil with butter, husked, oiled and roasted, steamed in and out of microwave or water, etc) Just about name it I have done it. When you can get your hands on the corn I get here from Blackmer's farm there is no better way than in the cooking vessel mother nature gave it. The level of sweet is incredible, the husk and silk imparts a wonderful sweet grassy note, top it with organic grass fed (Kerrygold) butter and sea salt from the mother land (Italy) and you cannot eat better

MY wife doesn't care for the char, whether that's the look or the taste I don't know. The end result is we do it in the husk. Been peeling back the husks, removing the silk, and attempt to put the husks back in place, which doesn't work very well. I end up needing to tie it in place, okay, sort of in place. Sure is hot to husk after it's grilled.

I tried a couple lbs of Kerrygold last year after reading about on the forum. This unsophisticated palate couldn't tell the difference between it and Land O Lakes, which was a bit of a bummer.

Well first off don't even bother to take the silks off ahead of time. Not necessary. Once roasted they come off quite easily and also impart an extra layer of flavor to the corn. As for taste difference between KG and LOL it's subtle. But, it's more than just taste. There are health benefits to using butter that is from organically grass fed animals. It is high in Omega 3. I read in one publication even higher than fatty fish such as salmon. It's also far less diluted with water. If you hold a piece of LOL butter it will melt to a liquid. Do the same with KG and it softens to a malleable pat due to the higher true fat content

I've tried corn so many ways and still don't have my preferred method. My wife likes a little char. I'll take it any way but prefer no char.. a nice bright yellow.

I typically do the husk on method.. or more accurately, the husk back on method. Peel the corn open remove the silk and take my best shot at getting the husk back in place. Taste is fine and I don't notice a grassy taste to it, but removing the husk once cooked is a messy affair.

I have tried taking the de-silked corn with the husk back on, and soaking them in water for a bit.. hoping for a nice steam, but candidly can't tell a difference.

Next try will be with husk off on a low and slow on the gas grill.

In foil w/ your favorite seasonings, and remove the foil for a couple minutes over direct heat at the end if you have to have that "char."

I prefer this recipe and I'm *not* a fan of horseradish (you can't taste it).

Another 'husk off' type of family here; a little melted butter, then a dash of garlic salt, fresh cracked black pepper, then on the grill for some color.

Bitmann's Minimalist recipe is the one I do most.

But as he says, so long as your grilled corn recipe starts with corn, it is all good.

I'll generally peel back the husks so that only 2 leaves thickness remain all the way around the cob, and grill from there. A nice balance between caramelization and char.

Have you checked out the delicious corn on the cob recipes and how to cook them on "side dish recipes" site right here? Here is my favorite, in case you haven't seen it yet.

This is my favorite recipe for corn on the cob - We have made it 13 times.

Grilled Corn in the Style of Oaxaca

6 ears with fresh corn with husks
2 TB. reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
2 TB. fat-free or regular sour cream
3 TB. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 TB. chili powder
2 limes, cut into wedges
Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.pepper

1. Prepare a hot fire by piling charcoal on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. (For gas grills, light only one side of grill.)
2. Remove heavy outer husks from corn; pull back inner husks. Remove and discard silks. Tie inner husks together with string.
3. Stir together mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl, and set aside. Place Parmesan cheese, chili powder, and lime wedges in small serving bowls and set aside.
4. Coat each corn cob lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle corn evenly with salt and pepper. Position corn on food grate of grill so that tied husks lie on unlit side to prevent burning husks.
5. Grill corn, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350 to 300F) 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Place grilled corn on a platter.
6. Spread corn evenly with mayonnaise mixture, and sprinkle evenly with cheese and chili powder. Squeeze lime wedges over corn.

Source: Southern Living - June 2004 - Steven Raichlen

Sorry too much additions masking good corn. If you have corn as good as I get there is no reason for added "flavors". Throw it on, if you like a little butter and salt and that's it.

Ha Ha, so you say. "VARIETY is the SPICE of LIFE"

We don't eat it this way all the time. Majority of the time, it is just butter and salt. But now and then, what's it gonna do to have something different?

Sorry too much additions masking good corn. If you have corn as good as I get there is no reason for added "flavors". Throw it on, if you like a little butter and salt and that's it.
What Larry said. finally last week I was able to get fresh sweet corn directly from the farm. Needs nothing but some butter and salt and pepper.

I MUCH prefer grilling the corn AFTER it has been husked. I grill it direct with the lid off over a medium fire. I keep turning it when needed. When it looks done, it is done. When it is grilled in the husk, it tastes too much like grass to me.

FWIW
Dale53
I want to try to this way, my wife said it taste earthly being grilled in the Husk and silk, I didn't disagree, but I still loves it! I will be trying this way next.

If you have TRULY good corn and it is TRULY fresh there is nothing better that I have tried than cut the top silk off, trim up the bottom and stick it right on the grill. And, I have done it every way possible (in foil, in foil with butter, husked, oiled and roasted, steamed in and out of microwave or water, etc) Just about name it I have done it. When you can get your hands on the corn I get here from Blackmer's farm there is no better way than in the cooking vessel mother nature gave it. The level of sweet is incredible, the husk and silk imparts a wonderful sweet grassy note, top it with organic grass fed (Kerrygold) butter and sea salt from the mother land (Italy) and you cannot eat better
I was amazed at how much the husk and silk acted like an amazing cooking vessel, I agree with the sweet grassy note and supper steamy and juicy.

Well first off don't even bother to take the silks off ahead of time. Not necessary. Once roasted they come off quite easily and also impart an extra layer of flavor to the corn. As for taste difference between KG and LOL it's subtle. But, it's more than just taste. There are health benefits to using butter that is from organically grass fed animals. It is high in Omega 3. I read in one publication even higher than fatty fish such as salmon. It's also far less diluted with water. If you hold a piece of LOL butter it will melt to a liquid. Do the same with KG and it softens to a malleable pat due to the higher true fat content
First I am with you about the silk, it come off so easy after pulling it off the grill. Is there a reason from removing the silk and putting the husk back? Is it to limit the earthiness? As for the information about butter, I LOVE butter, I will be using this info to justify buying the good stuff and eating it!

Back