What Have You Had Replaced Under Warranty On Your Smokefire?

SteveUK

TVWBB Member
I've owned a Smokefire EX4 Gen 1 since release in March 2020 and was working out what Weber have replaced under warranty since I purchased it. Would also like to say the Weber customer service and sending replacement parts have been excellent in that time and I am sure not many other manufacturers would have been as proactive with their customers over such a long period of time for any of their products.

But if what I have had replaced is anything to go by and relates to other owners as well, then it is no surprise that the Smokefire is being phased out for the Searwood

I have had replaced in the nearly 4 years of ownership

3 new whole PID control units,
2 Motherboards
1 Fuse
Front and back bar that support the flavouriser bars (rusted and flaking)
2 Augurs
1 complete Firepot unit (flaking)
Complete new wiring system with connections
2 Glow Plugs
Also a seperate chute the pellets travel down to the firepot (flaking)

+ They sent out a redesigned pellet slide for the hopper

+ The extra boxes of free pellets they used to send out as an apology at the beginning when things went wrong

A least I have a good knowledge of the inner workings of a Pellet Grill now, from replacing so many parts

There may be more parts but I can't recall :LOL:

It's amazing when you look back on it, just how much it must have cost Weber if this is what most others have experienced like myself. lets hope the Searwood has had more strenous product testing before release than the Smokefire appeared to have, to iron out these problems.

After all been said, I love my Smokefire and the food it cooks and wouldn't be without it, for all it's failings

p.s. Owned A Weber Genesis 335s for nearly 2 years now also and never had to contact customer service once about it in that time......

Last edited:
EX6 Gen 2, purchased 4/13/23. Auger nut missing. Bolt was still holding the auger but was partially out. Replacement nut and bolt ordered/sent by Weber.

I had an initial start up problem but that was corrected with a firmware update. Only experienced one flame out a few months ago, I did the UHMW tape mod in the pellet hopper and have not had any flame outs since. Only other mod was to replace the lower grates with CI ones.

I'm another very happy SmokeFire owner. I would buy again. The only thing I don't like is that my other grills go unused now.

Searwood? Maybe down the road. They need to offer it in colors besides black.

I bought my Smokefire directly from Weber on 2/17/20 and assembled it myself. Since then I have replaced the following parts in the course of at least 200 cooks.

Added pellet slide
The auger assembly when the updated version was released
(1) glow plug, but I look at this as a serviceable part
(1) PID controller

I agree Weber has probably spent a ton of money in replacement parts along with the early bad press. Regardless, I am a fan of the food that comes off it and will definitely be firing it up tomorrow !!

My goodness, I thought I was reading a partial repair list on my Parent's '74 Ford Pinto.

On my first SmokeFire Weber sent a replacement MB and thermocoupler due to out-of-box issues. I ended up returning it but then purchased a Gen 2 in June 2021 and I have not filed any claims yet nor do I have any warranty-related issues.

Gen 2. Purchased Nov ‘21. Have replaced nothing other than the spare glow plug included, as I caught it on fire.

Extremely greasy jerky, plus a garden hose to put it out, not good for the glow plug. My fault, not the Smokefire.

Nothing under warrantee. I sheared off the pin in the auger and replaced it with a nail. Replaced the fuse shortly thereafter. Replaced the glow plug after 2+ full years of above average use with 1 of the 2 spares that came with the unit. My SF has been pretty bullet proof. Had the auger pin not sheared off, I'd call it bullet proof

I've owned a Smokefire EX4 Gen 1 since release in March 2020 and was working out what Weber have replaced under warranty since I purchased it. Would also like to say the Weber customer service and sending replacement parts have been excellent in that time and I am sure not many other manufacturers would have been as proactive with their customers over such a long period of time for any of their products.

But if what I have had replaced is anything to go by and relates to other owners as well, then it is no surprise that the Smokefire is being phased out for the Searwood

I have had replaced in the nearly 4 years of ownership

3 new whole PID control units,
2 Motherboards
1 Fuse
Front and back bar that support the flavouriser bars (rusted and flaking)
2 Augurs
1 complete Firepot unit (flaking)
Complete new wiring system with connections
2 Glow Plugs
Also a seperate chute the pellets travel down to the firepot (flaking)

+ They sent out a redesigned pellet slide for the hopper

+ The extra boxes of free pellets they used to send out as an apology at the beginning when things went wrong

A least I have a good knowledge of the inner workings of a Pellet Grill now, from replacing so many parts

There may be more parts but I can't recall :LOL:

It's amazing when you look back on it, just how much it must have cost Weber if this is what most others have experienced like myself. lets hope the Searwood has had more strenous product testing before release than the Smokefire appeared to have, to iron out these problems.

After all been said, I love my Smokefire and the food it cooks and wouldn't be without it, for all it's failings

p.s. Owned A Weber Genesis 335s for nearly 2 years now also and never had to contact customer service once about it in that time......
This seems like lemon law level type of issues. I would have passed that one down the road long ago.

This seems like lemon law level type of issues. I would have passed that one down the road long ago.
Agree.
I replaced several internal pieces. Some pieces Weber refused to replace. After putting in the parts Weber agreed to replace I cut my losses and sold it. I purchased a high quality US made pellet grill that was used. Zero regrets and have confidence it’s not going to stop in the middle of my cook. I still own several other Weber grills but my Smokefire had to go. Is the smoke/flavor profile as good as the Smokefire? It’s good enough that I also sold my custom offset. What I don’t miss is crossing fingers as I prepared to cook on my Smokefire. I love to cook outdoors on my grills. I didn’t like babysitting a grill.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_5352.jpeg
    IMG_5352.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5354.jpeg
    IMG_5354.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 25
  • Resized_Resized_20230821_190313.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230821_190313.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5278.jpeg
    IMG_5278.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Just had them replace almost everything inside the cookbox.

Grates
Flavorizer Bars
Flavorizor Bar holding brackets, both sides
Pellet Chute
The whole fire pot assembly, the pellet grate
Temp probe and temp probe bracket.

All I had to do was take pictures. Purchased unit 11/21, gen 2 ex4. They threw in a glow plug and the glow plug holder.

Originally I only needed the whole firepot assembly because it rusted out. Once I took pictures they wanted to see everything else. Weber was super awesome about everything. I live in an environment that’s not friendly to cheap metal.

Nothing under warrantee. I sheared off the pin in the auger and replaced it with a nail. Replaced the fuse shortly thereafter. Replaced the glow plug after 2+ full years of above average use with 1 of the 2 spares that came with the unit. My SF has been pretty bullet proof. Had the auger pin not sheared off, I'd call it bullet proof
I'm eating these words. Been plagued with E2 & E6's. Waiting for Weber's Smoke Fire customer service to call me back

Figure out what happened yet? I hope it's not the controller.
This is what they're doing (so far)

Thank you for confirming your address. I believe that once the fan is replaced, that should solve the issue. As for the E6 error, if you continue to have issues, then I would recommend a new Glow Plug Bracket or a new Motherboard.

I have placed an order for a new Fan assembly. Once shipped, you'll receive your order in the next 7-10 business days. You'll receive a confirmation email shortly and a tracking email once your order ships.

Again, please let me know, if you continue to have issues.

I ordered (off amazon) a couple more glow plugs, but I'm going to do that hose clamp trick and see if that resolves the issue

Back