What Have You Had Replaced Under Warranty On Your Smokefire?

Seems like when you have issues on the Smokefire, there's an avalanche. Hopefully they figured out the gremlins on the Searwood.

Seems like when you have issues on the Smokefire, there's an avalanche. Hopefully they figured out the gremlins on the Searwood.
The EX6 at $1.3K is an "entry-level" pellet grill (imho) mine will be 3-years old this May. When you think about it, it's basically a computer operating in a hostile environment. Hindsight would have it, I should have done the math when I bought it. I'm hoping to keep it going while under warrantee however when the warrantee is up, I don't see myself doing much with it. Maybe the glow plugs, but beyond that, I doubt I'll put anything else into it. I've enjoyed it for the most part, but I'll likely move on. Since you have to fork out nearly $5K for a reliable Pellet Grill, I don't see Pellet Grills in my future. Not when Kettles, Summits & WSM's are readily available. The Weber Kettle is still my favorite BBQ, but I haven't bought a Summit yet, and I can see how that could quickly surpass the Kettle

The EX6 at $1.3K is an "entry-level" pellet grill (imho) mine will be 3-years old this May. When you think about it, it's basically a computer operating in a hostile environment. Hindsight would have it, I should have done the math when I bought it. I'm hoping to keep it going while under warrantee however when the warrantee is up, I don't see myself doing much with it. Maybe the glow plugs, but beyond that, I doubt I'll put anything else into it. I've enjoyed it for the most part, but I'll likely move on. Since you have to fork out nearly $5K for a reliable Pellet Grill, I don't see Pellet Grills in my future. Not when Kettles, Summits & WSM's are readily available. The Weber Kettle is still my favorite BBQ, but I haven't bought a Summit yet, and I can see how that could quickly surpass the Kettle
I feel your pain. But $5000 is kinda a long stretch for a quality pellet grill. The term “reliable” may never be a term associated with a pellet grill. But I know my used Pitts and Spitts for $1000 has been a huge stress reliever over my SF.

Only issue I see with grills like SF or the SW is Weber's use of "custom" parts. Which means an owner who has done due diligence, keeps the grill in good repair, has no qualm with buying replacements when needed will likely find themselves high and dry as I did with that Summit when Weber says "oh too bad we don't support it anymore". Now you're SOL.
This was one of the main reasons I don't have one on my deck. That Summit left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth when they decided to drop support during warranty! What will stop them from dumping SF or SW owners?
At east I know (unless the feds outlaw anything that burns something), I can buy "off the shelf" things like full hopper assemblies, burn pots, hot rods, sensors even PID controllers, quite easily.
Heck I have already done that with my MM by purchasing an aftermarket WIFI PID controller. Haven't installed it yet, but will soon.
So even e years down the road on my Z or MM, when their respective warranties have lapsed, I'm not gonna worry about keeping them "on the road"

Only issue I see with grills like SF or the SW is Weber's use of "custom" parts. Which means an owner who has done due diligence, keeps the grill in good repair, has no qualm with buying replacements when needed will likely find themselves high and dry as I did with that Summit when Weber says "oh too bad we don't support it anymore". Now you're SOL.
This was one of the main reasons I don't have one on my deck. That Summit left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth when they decided to drop support during warranty! What will stop them from dumping SF or SW owners?
At east I know (unless the feds outlaw anything that burns something), I can buy "off the shelf" things like full hopper assemblies, burn pots, hot rods, sensors even PID controllers, quite easily.
Heck I have already done that with my MM by purchasing an aftermarket WIFI PID controller. Haven't installed it yet, but will soon.
So even e years down the road on my Z or MM, when their respective warranties have lapsed, I'm not gonna worry about keeping them "on the road"
How much did that aftermarket WiFi controller set you back?

I feel your pain. But $5000 is kinda a long stretch for a quality pellet grill. The term “reliable” may never be a term associated with a pellet grill. But I know my used Pitts and Spitts for $1000 has been a huge stress reliever over my SF.
Pitta & Spitts are quality pellet grills and I was surprised to see that they have grills for under $3K. If you got one for $1K you scored big time, congrats

I'll just buy replacement parts from Weber or another source. I'm not losing any sleep worrying about my SmokeFire breaking down after the warranty runs out.
I did’t work my SF real hard because I have several other grills I enjoy cooking with as well. Having to replace so many parts in less than a year seemed ridiculous to me. But I applaud your determination.

Getting quite the collection of E codes. First it was E2 then E6 then back to E2 replaced the Glowplug and got the E6 again, tried the hose clamp trick on the glowplug and now getting a E3. Dumped the pellets, pulled the auger, it’s fine, checked the connection it’s fine buttoned it up, filled it up, fired it up….E3

I’m guessing the motor is bad, I’ve no way to test it unless one of you might know?

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 4
Getting quite the collection of E codes. First it was E2 then E6 then back to E2 replaced the Glowplug and got the E6 again, tried the hose clamp trick on the glowplug and now getting a E3. Dumped the pellets, pulled the auger, it’s fine, checked the connection it’s fine buttoned it up, filled it up, fired it up….E3

I’m guessing the motor is bad, I’ve no way to test it unless one of you might know?
Bet that's not happening on $367 Oakford/Nexgrill models.

Much to my surprise, I heard back from Weber Customer Service today (Sunday) They are sending a new complete auger & motor assembly. I’m not surprised that they are doing that, I’m surprised they’re working today. Shout out to Martyne @ Weber Customer Service, job well done 👍🏻

Much to my surprise, I heard back from Weber Customer Service today (Sunday) They are sending a new complete auger & motor assembly. I’m not surprised that they are doing that, I’m surprised they’re working today. Shout out to Martyne @ Weber Customer Service, job well done 👍🏻
Happy to hear that Chuck. 🍻

I did’t work my SF real hard because I have several other grills I enjoy cooking with as well. Having to replace so many parts in less than a year seemed ridiculous to me. But I applaud your determination.
Long as you do it in the first three years, you're good. But starting month 37, that's a different ballgame

You had to replace those already? I thought they were Stainless Steel?
I didn’t think so but one of the pictures I took had the bars in the picture and Weber support just said we’ll send you some new bars along with the other stuff. Weber support has been nothing but fantastic. I just hope with the new owners it stays that way.

Back