What features would you want on the perfect grill cover?

Totally agree, the marine grade zipper is a good consideration.
What I’m thinking about will require a “gallery” but, that’s minor for me. It’s the sewing part that is beyond my skill set. I have a friend who has offered with that after I get it designed, cut a pattern, figure out where I want the snaps to hold it to the table sides, and how I want to do the end with the 22. Since I use that year round, I will need to have that more accessible than the 18” end. That I will have zip closed and snap to the end strake. I’ve been playing with the design back and forth for two years now. I think it might be time for some paper patterns.
Paper patterns are a good start, also an old bed sheet (or some discount fabric) and pins/staples gets you heading in the right direction.

When I designed the stainless Performer 5lb propane tank cover, I just used measurements, a cardboard pattern, and some scrap camo fabric of the same weight as the donor Weber cover to make my prototype.

For my stainless Performer I bought a Weber cover for a Summit Kamado (#7174) from Amazon Warehouse Deals and I'm going to tailor that to fit the smaller Performer and add the features we're discussing here in this thread.

Tank Cover2.JPG

There's a company not far from me that will make any type of cover out of waterproof tarpaulin. I had them make me a cover for my garden table. Drawstring bottom so it can be cinched. I'm going to have them make one for 14.5 Bullet. My current Weber one can stand up by itself. I don't dare fold it unless it shatters.

There’s a tent and awning place much closer than my friend but, we’ve not seen each other in many years just contact by email, this is a good excuse to meet up face to face. She will probably be shocked to see how old and decrepit I’ve become!

I thought I'd try a marine-grade zipper, that should last reasonably well. If they last on boats, they should last on a grill cover. If it fails I can always remove it and sew the cover shut.
I have a Sunbrella cover with nylon zippers for my boat. Have had it for almost ten years now. I did have to get one zipper restitched. The side that gets the most sun on it started to fail in the stitching. The zippers themselves are holding up just fine. Nice thing about them is you can lube them with a stick of Chapstick.

Find me a cover that protects my grill, doesn't promote rust by trapping in moisture and that can easily be put on or taken off without having to wait for the grill to cool off. Then I am in.

Instead of a draw string I would like a 'weighted bottom". That is the bottom inch is filled with sand or a few lead fishing weights stitched in. It would be easier to put on and not blow away so easily.

Instead of a draw string I would like a 'weighted bottom". That is the bottom inch is filled with sand or a few lead fishing weights stitched in. It would be easier to put on and not blow away so easily.

Do they still make what resembles sort of a lead beaded chain that got sewn into the bottom hem of draperies? Very flexible, but with some weight to it.

When I made my covers I used Weathermax 8 fabric. 5 years old and still look new. Easier to sew on a home sewing machine than Sunbrella. SurLast is also a good fabric to use and easy to sew.

Back