What features would you want on the perfect grill cover?

Tim Snyder

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm going to be making my own grill cover for my SS Performer. What features would be nice to have?

A vertical zipper to make installation easier.
Mesh vents with rain flaps.
Handles for lifting and also use for hanging when not in use.
Reinforcement in the corners.
Shock cording around the base, or part of the base.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Charlie. That does look like a nice cover, even uses piping on the seams. Hard to believe they can sell that for $30.00. Not a fan of the color though, but that's just me.

Funny how they removed the Weber white walls from the wheels for the photo. :LOL:

Other than good water repellency, I just wish they would make then just a little bit bigger. It would be nice to not have to fight to get the cover on or off when cold, or if you have done any mods like a lid hinge. Really, how much more would it cost per unit to make them an inch and a half bigger around? So if you are making your own go bigger than what you would think.

Thanks Charlie. That does look like a nice cover, even uses piping on the seams. Hard to believe they can sell that for $30.00. Not a fan of the color though, but that's just me.

Funny how they removed the Weber white walls from the wheels for the photo. :LOL:
No problem Tim. Good catch on the the white walls, didn't even notice that.

It's a great cover, albeit a bit heavy. I went back to the Weber cover, much lighter, easier to "ball up" for storage, and a bit easier to remove/put on. It is very well made though, agree the color is a bit bland.

Charlie

Other than good water repellency, I just wish they would make then just a little bit bigger. It would be nice to not have to fight to get the cover on or off when cold, or if you have done any mods like a lid hinge. Really, how much more would it cost per unit to make them an inch and a half bigger around? So if you are making your own go bigger than what you would think.
That's why I thought a giant plastic vertical zipper would be nice, make the cover much easier to install. Flop it on, zip it up, no fussing. Like putting on a zippered hoodie vs a long sleeve t-shirt. I don't think a cover should fit too tight, there needs to be room for condensation to evaporate. I think covers need vents for this, too.

No problem Tim. Good catch on the the white walls, didn't even notice that.

It's a great cover, albeit a bit heavy. I went back to the Weber cover, much lighter, easier to "ball up" for storage, and a bit easier to remove/put on. It is very well made though, agree the color is a bit bland.

Charlie
That's actually a good point. You want the cover to be heavy-duty, but not too heavy in weight.

Is there such a thing as insect-repellent cloth? I’ve been finding absurd numbers of earwigs under the covers this year. I hate those things.

Is there such a thing as insect-repellent cloth? I’ve been finding absurd numbers of earwigs under the covers this year. I hate those things.
Hmmmm, maybe a mesh pouch sewn inside to hold moth balls. Would keep rodents and racoons away as well. Racoons will actually knock the top off of my kettle if I don't keep it secured.

Very good point on the fit. My first pellet grill cooker was actually really nice, cooked well. The main thing that I didn't like about it was that the cover was a pain to get off each time because it was so tight. Seems like a silly thing, but when you're using it several times a week, it can be aggravating.

Charlie

If you can make the cover magically install itself on the grill once it's cooled down when I forget to.....would be awesome......oh, and if you can build in a grill cleaning function once the cover is installed I'll buy a few of them from you.....

That brand, Classic Accessories, also makes the Ravenna Series. I have several covers of this color/style for lawn furniture.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MTYWAM/?tag=tvwb-20

I am not sure about the zipper. Seems like a point of failure, you will also have to lube it, and fabric can stretch or shrink over time making it problematic. For fabric I would look to Sunbrella if exposed to the elements.

I am not sure about the zipper. Seems like a point of failure, you will also have to lube it, and fabric can stretch or shrink over time making it problematic. For fabric I would look to Sunbrella if exposed to the elements.
I thought I'd try a marine-grade zipper, that should last reasonably well. If they last on boats, they should last on a grill cover. If it fails I can always remove it and sew the cover shut.

I thought I'd try a marine-grade zipper, that should last reasonably well. If they last on boats, they should last on a grill cover. If it fails I can always remove it and sew the cover shut.
Totally agree, the marine grade zipper is a good consideration.
What I’m thinking about will require a “gallery” but, that’s minor for me. It’s the sewing part that is beyond my skill set. I have a friend who has offered with that after I get it designed, cut a pattern, figure out where I want the snaps to hold it to the table sides, and how I want to do the end with the 22. Since I use that year round, I will need to have that more accessible than the 18” end. That I will have zip closed and snap to the end strake. I’ve been playing with the design back and forth for two years now. I think it might be time for some paper patterns.

Back