What Exactly is a “bro & sear” and Why Do I Need One?

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
Like the title says, I just read about this in another thread and thought it deserved further investigation.

Am I right?

I made one from a couple of CB's and it worked really well. I gave it to my sil for his Performer and then bought a SnS.

Besides not being PC, what it's missing is the water pan that works as an insulator. This version has vents facing the food which detracts from the idea of the SnS basket. Even if you remove the water pan, the SnS version has no vents facing the food. A piece of steel such as a length of leaf spring blocking those vents to force the air up and over would be nice.

It's the CHEAP man's slow n sear thank you very much!

I prefer "Criminally Frugal."

I made my BnS from charcoal baskets that came with a second hand grill I bought. I upgraded it by using a scrap piece of expanded metal on the bottom to better hold smaller bits of lump charcoal. By my precise mathematical calculation, I get 80% of the benefit of an SnS for 0% of the cost. I use it all the time.

A grill itself is a need, the extras well they are just to make it either more fun or easier. I like both.

Having a SNS I do like it, but I also like the fact the bro n sear is open to the front. As for the China thing, I would pay more for anything we could make here. I don’t like where that whole thing is headed.

Back